PDA

View Full Version : amazing experience

gemini_84
08-06-2013, 09:37 PM
yesterday john (my not so better half....lol) and i went fishing on a quiet beach a little north of home. its very secluded and not over run by tourists as most beaches here are.
i love sitting on this beach, as the bird life is amazing. yesterday we had hawks, eagles, boobies, brolgas (endangered here) aswell as a few others i am not aware of the name of, and how can i for the ever so majestic and my favourite the sea eagle.
well we were fishing on the beach and john had broken up some bait fish and thrown it in the water for burly. about 5min later im watching the skies and see an eagle circling (nothing out of the ordinary), next minute he swoops down to grab a piece of the broken bait fish from the water. (this is where the amazing experience comes in, but such unfortunate event) unfortunately he dived straight into my fishing line. john and i immediatley jumped yp and quickly but very calmly walked over to the poor eagle caught in my line.

i couldnt believe it, whilst we were untangling the line from his wings, he was so calm.... he just rested on the water with his wings and tail fully spread and just watched us. I got 1 side undone, it was really simple as it was just caught on feathers. John side on the other hand had some how wrapped around the wing. So once i had my side untangled john cut the line and gently pulled the line through. We were so relieved when the lune came free, and there was no blood or signs of damaged feathers. As soon as the line came loose the eagle just flapped his wings and flew off.
although the circumstances were sad, i wish i had had my camera and been able to take a photo, i have always loved eagles, but after being so close to this majestic creature i love them even more.
later on during the day he came back and we felt guilty that he didnt get his fish, so we pulled one out of the bait bucket and through it up to him, he caught it with ease then flew off, only to cime back for more an hour later.

so it was a happy ending and i got to experience something truley amazing.:th_heart:

ShellyBorg
08-06-2013, 09:45 PM
WOW! I would say that was a once in a life time experience!

spiritbird
08-06-2013, 10:22 PM
This could be a repeat experience for this bird since he is a fisherman in that area. The bird was very fortunate that it was a bird lover that was at the other end of the pole. Good Job!!:th_yah:

Mare
08-06-2013, 11:08 PM
What an amazing experience! Aren't they just so SPECIAL?! Birds in general are fascinating to me but hawks are beyond that! I'm so happy to hear of the happy ending :)

Blancaej
08-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Wow! That is one incredible story that you will cherish for a lifetime. Great job by both of you getting the eagle free. Its too bad you didn't get pictures but I doubt you will ever forget that moment! ;)

coltfire
08-07-2013, 01:51 PM
well done my darling daughter, he/she was lucky it was a bird person and the Eagle probably sensed that, as to why he/she was so calm,