PDA

View Full Version : For All The Rescue Birds Out There

Turquoise
08-04-2013, 06:04 AM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Debra
08-04-2013, 01:10 PM
That is so true! Out of my 13, 7 are rehomes. 2 of those 7 actually started out here as they were born here then went to their new owner's home. When life changes came about and she felt the need to rehome them, she thought of me first. Of course, I took them back. I am lucky to be owned by all 7 of my rehomes.

JadeC
08-04-2013, 06:20 PM
:( that makes me feel bad that I got a baby.... There was a 6 year old gold capped conure that I found in CA and I'm so upset that I couldn't get him. He was the sweetest little guy and I wanted to take him home so bad. I visited him all the time too. My ex husband didn't put the money down on him like he was supposed to while I was gone and someone else got him. Oh well...

Pinkbirdy
08-04-2013, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't feel bad Jade . I say this many times I think theirs a benefit to having both. Who knows maybe sometime you may come across a rescue [or rehome] that works for you. Everyones life is different . I think you can learn so much from each experience . Its helped me learn how to understand and truly appreciate them more. I feel theirs a lot of birds in this world that need homes . Whether their from craigslist ,breeders ,store or rescues. I know I cant save the bird world . So Im not going to say Im only getting rescues . I have favorite breeds too [that I might have to get from a breeder.] I live in New York ,so its not like these birds would survive outside on their own .I figure all these birds need homes. Its not like other animals [that you look at good bloodlines]. My Macaw was very sick last year . I used to think I had to get all my birds from him because of [his good health standards].Well Harlows problem came from them . So now I get my birds from where I want. I quarantine ,do vet checks and watch them like a hawk [and have vet care back up plans].My rescue here wanted the kids in the home to be 13 [mine are 10 and 13]. I understand the rescues reasons . But I feel they really missed out on me. Their format needs to change ,where someone can just see that its going to be a good opportunity.A birds a bird [I love them all] :)

Mare
08-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Jade, don't feel bad for getting a baby. They all need good homes too. Sometimes I feel that if people didn't breed birds, the one's truly needing loving homes, would have a better chance. In a fantasy world, this might work :)

JadeC
08-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks y'all haha Maybe I will get a rescue or re home next time. I already have two dogs, a cat and a bird as a single 24 year old in college. Haha No more animals for a while!!! Maybe I'll foster or volunteer at a bird rescue.

ShellyBorg
08-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Volunteering is a great way to pay back and a even better way to meet and learn about different breeds.

Blancaej
08-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Savannah has been an absolutely amazing rehome! I think for me, getting a baby for my first large parrot seemed like the best route as I was so new to owning a larger breed. But I am proud to say that I've had him since 3 months old but also proud to say that I will own 2 rehomes! I have the best of both worlds! ;)

spiritbird
08-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Sometimes the needy birds find you.