PDA

View Full Version : ~~A Little Fish for Your Morning~~

Turquoise
08-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Any of ya'll out there have aquariums? If so, what kind of fish do you keep? I used to keep a lot of aquariums & several different kinds of fish. I had aquariums from 30 gal up to a 200 gal. My favorite will always be the fancy tailed goldfish and the koi. I had some very beautiful one in years past. I may get a couple of goldfish again when I rearrange my living room after I get moved into my new bedroom. I even had a 100 gal saltwater aquarium in the '90s. It was not as easy to keep as the store told me tho.

When I rode on hubby's truck I carried a Betta with us. I made a seal around his small aquarium and kept him on the small table behind the driver's seat. He lived with us for 2 yrs on the truck and even went through a slight accident with his first bowl. It was one of those round glass ones some folks keep their Bettas in. I had it bungee corded on the floor by my area my feet were. Jerry went up the wrong road when we were looking for the M&M's Candy warehouse in Hacketstown, NJ. This was a steep hilly road trucks weren't supposed to be on, it was night & we'd never been up there before. The bowl slipped out of the bungee cord & rolled up against my seat & broke in half. I grabbed the Betta & stuck him in a plastic jug of store bought water we carried with us. He was fine in it til I could get him a new home & he went through many a states, plus Canada many times.:th_biggrin:

So 5 months ago I got a Betta again. Blue of course and I can't remember what they call his tail type. It looks ragged, but it is supposed to look like that. He has 6 Ghost Shrimp buddies for his cleanup crew. Thought ya'll might like a few photos of him. I actually have never named him.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
08-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Very pretty De! Love the tail! Thanks for sharing!

Mare
08-17-2013, 12:06 AM
He's beautiful De'!! I love Beta and have had a few in my life! One of my first ex-boyfriends bought a female for my male and we set up house for them in a five gallon tank. The male blew a bubble nest on top of the water. They were fascinating to watch breed, he would wrap himself around her, while they sank to the bottom and during this time she was laying her eggs which he would pick up in his mouth and spit them into his bubble nest! He was a good daddy, tended to them until they hatched and even then he would bring them back to the surface if they started to sink. The mama was no longer wanted around after the eggs were laid. He tried to kill her so we removed her. He took what he wanted and kicked her to the curb! Anyways, awesome fish!

ShellyBorg
08-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Nice crown tail!

Turquoise
08-17-2013, 05:37 AM
Thanks Blanca, Mare & Shelly. He is rotten as you can tell. He loves to flare his gills every time I pass his home. :th_hehe:

That would be interesting to watch them Mare. I have had several male Bettas in years past. I have never gotten a female, but I have read all about what you described in the books I used to have on Bettas. :th_biggrin:

I have 4 new male Bettas I saw at the WalMart last week while I was shopping. I just couldn't resist the neat colors. I took photos, but none came out too well. They are in temporary homes til I get them proper setups like Flash has.

Debra
08-17-2013, 01:01 PM
I thought I had replied to this one, but guess I haven't. He is beautiful! Such a rich, gorgeous blue too. I've never seen one with a tail like that.

mrgoogls
08-18-2013, 12:47 AM
nice looking betta! im SO glad you have him in a small tank rather than the little tiny bowls they come in. no fish should live like that, when the store tells you those are nice, they are wrong. they need space and a filter as much as any other fish. looks great!

Turquoise
08-18-2013, 01:59 AM
I feel the same way Kenny. And I think they deserve a large home just like my birds deserve a large home. :th_biggrin:

Wulfgeist
08-19-2013, 11:44 PM
He's handsome. I have a 29 gallon sitting in the shed at my friend's house. Had some african cichlids some years ago. Might set it back up after I get it moved here, have to see. I have no running water down here so that means no cleaning by python, have to use the old fashioned siphon hose. Love the ghost shrimp, too, always thought those were the coolest things. Not sure what I'd stock it with if I did set it back up. Crowley would love the fish but I woudln't be surprised if he wound up in the tank, that cat has the manners of a stump.

Turquoise
08-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Thanks RJ. I have always loved Ghost Shrimp, but so many fish eat them right up. At least Bettas don't bother them much.

If you get your tank set up you will have to post photos. I love aquariums, but just don't have the time to keep up with them anymore, or the back to stay bent over taking care of them.:th_LOL: I bet if Crowley ever fell in the tank once, he'd never want to try that again. Unless you have a 'rare' water cat. :th_hehe:

Honesty
08-21-2013, 07:40 AM
That certainly is a very pretty fish:)