PDA

View Full Version : Valentino's new brain toy

noblemacaw
08-02-2013, 08:41 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I got this toy for Valentino a Red Fronted macaw to help with boredom. He is extremely intelligent and finding toys to cater to that intelligence can be a challenge.

At the recommendation of a friend who has bred parrots for over 20 years suggested this toy because it would take Valentino a while to master it. Each door opens in a different way so the parrot would be challenged enough. “How long do you think it would take for him to master it?" I asked. Don said “It should take him a while." Meanwhile Lupe said “I think that toy is too hard for him to play with." I purchased this toy.

I filled up each chamber with a couple of pistachios and installed it in his cage. I went upstairs for 10 minutes to do something and all was quiet. Valentino didn’t make a sound he didn’t even talk to himself. I come back downstairs to find he had opened every door and turned the toy upside down because his beak is too big to reach in and grab the treat.

I was gob smacked and just stared at the toy and Valentino while he made baby noises at me. “You have GOT to be kidding me!" I thought it was a fluke so I took the toy out, re loaded it with treats and reinstalled it making sure it was tight. I never even showed Valentino how to open the doors.

Lupe got the camera and began to video him working the toy. Sure enough he opened each door and attempted to get at the nuts inside. I could see he grew frustrated because he could not REACH the treats on the bottom of the chamber because his beak is too big. Poor parrot. I just could not believe he was able to figure out that toy so quickly. Lupe stared at me eyes wide and said. “What next? Is he going to start driving our cars?"
Here’s a link to the video Lupe shot after I reloaded the toy and made it more secure.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I need to research more brain toys for my prodigy. Valentino is a freak of nature.

Debra
08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Wow! He is so smart! And fast too.

spiritbird
08-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Clever little guy. I had this toy for my grey and she kept pulling out the drawers even though they were fixed in place. She actually destroyed it after a while.

coltfire
08-03-2013, 02:10 AM
how smart, i need to get one of them for my birds

Blancaej
08-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Such s smart little guy! Sounds like he enjoyed it! Time to shop for something harder. Lol!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
08-04-2013, 08:35 AM
That was adorable how quickly Valentino opened the doors. He will definitely keep you on your toes figuring out what to get or make next.:th_biggrin:

noblemacaw
08-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Valentino is sure a challenge to find toys to entertain and delight him. Yesterday he took to putting his CHEWED UP AND SUCKED ON PEPPERS in the little chambers of the toy. I had to take it out and wash it with soap and water because of the pepper skins he shoved in there. Just gross. I need to find different puzzles for him. I can hear him turn the toy when I am in my office working because it squeaks so he is still enjoying the toy but I guess is now using it to keep his pepper skins. E[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
08-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Wow! That is amazing. Clever Valentino :)

PlaxMacaws
08-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Valentino is sure a challenge to find toys to entertain and delight him. Yesterday he took to putting his CHEWED UP AND SUCKED ON PEPPERS in the little chambers of the toy. I had to take it out and wash it with soap and water because of the pepper skins he shoved in there. Just gross. I need to find different puzzles for him. I can hear him turn the toy when I am in my office working because it squeaks so he is still enjoying the toy but I guess is now using it to keep his pepper skins. E[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]'ve found that the more messy, sticky, smeary and repulsive a parrot-made mess happens to be, the more proud they tend to be of what they've done. And that definitely applies to the ones who concoct their special soup recipes in their water bowls! :th_scared4: