PDA

View Full Version : Newish/used cage for Sassy

Mare
07-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Yesterday, my daughter and I drove 90mins., each way, to pick up a cage for Sassy that I found on CL. It is way bigger than the one she is in, the one she is in, now, was what she came to us in. I always thought it was too small but hubby thought it was comfortable for her and secure, which it is, BUT, when we are away and she is not out of her cage much, I thought she needed a bigger cage. This cost $195.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
Amigo flew in to check it out. I scrubbed it with Clorox and dish soap. My hubby thinks it's been spray painted. I don't know what to think of that? Any thoughts? Sassy has been known to chew on her cage bars, I would hate to be the one to kill her with love.

Mare
07-31-2013, 06:57 PM
The cage in the background is Amigo's in-coming cage. He flys onto that before knocking at the window :)

Blancaej
07-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Great find Mare! It looks great! I did the same awhile back with Quincy's store cage. It's worth a drive when it saves hundreds of dollars. From what I can see it looks like it's in great shape!

Mare
07-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Blanca, what are your thoughts on the spray paint?

spiritbird
07-31-2013, 07:57 PM
I would ask the person you purchased the cage from what kind of pain was used on the cage. That was you will have an idea of how to proceed if at all. Good find.

Rescued
07-31-2013, 08:02 PM
I hesitate with any kind of paint. There are so many toxins that are in paint. I would probably not use it since you have a viable option in the other cage. Just my two cents.

Mare
07-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Hmm..ok, that was what I was thinking, Dianne. I've called and left a message. I've not given up on this cage, if nothing else I'll strip it and start over! My son just had his rims on his vehicle, powder coated. That will be my next step.

ShellyBorg
07-31-2013, 08:49 PM
I resourced spray paint. It has been nontoxic sense the 1970's.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
07-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Mare - I don't have the link but I read a great article on spray paint being very safe BUT it has to be household not commercial. I would check with the previous owner. I will see if I can find that link!
Update - Shellys link is the article I read. :)
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ConureGuy
07-31-2013, 09:38 PM
That's a nice sized cage i'm sure she will love it.

Pinkbirdy
07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Mare ,Know this for a fact . We sanded Harlows cage ,Spray painted it with Rustolium [sp?] paint. Its the paint with the low VOC. Are Bird Breeder in the area directed us this way [and Harlows fine]. Nice cage [I think Pearl needs a bigger cage too.

Mare
08-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks Terri, the lady I bought the cage from got back to me and she said that the cage came to her that way, she didn't paint it but has had birds in it without any problem. I'm going to trust that Sassy will be ok in it. Now the fun begins, setting it up!

Turquoise
08-01-2013, 01:00 AM
I have no helpful info to add. I just wanted to say it is a very nice size & looking cage for what you paid. great find even if you do have to repaint it.:th_biggrin:

Blancaej
08-01-2013, 01:20 AM
Sounds like you don't have anything to worry about Mare! Enjoy the cage and have fun setting it up. Make sure to take pics once Sassy is in it! :th_biggrin:

ConureGuy
08-01-2013, 01:45 AM
I get to set a new cage up soon aswell ready for when keko comes home how time fly's it's so much fun LOL.

Mare
08-01-2013, 04:04 AM
When will Keko come home, Paul? That has to be exciting! There was a time when I thought I might want a Grey but I think I'm destined to be a cockatoo caregiver :). Blanca, pics are forthcoming and we have made great progress on setting up Sassy's cage today! I make perches from manzanita anyways and have mucho extras, so, Sassy is in luck! I'll post some photos of her in it, or on it, tomorrow.

Mare
08-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Well, she's not in love with it, yet. I rolled it in and have it next to her present cage and she wants nothing to do with it. I guess I'll give her a couple of days to adjust to seeing it before I force the issue of having her go in it. Chip likes it, though. He is all over it!