PDA

View Full Version : Car Perch I Made!

Blancaej
07-28-2013, 05:38 PM
I built Savannah a car perch this morning to use going to and from my store. I use back country roads to drive to and from work. I made the perch this morning and she drove into work with me on it. She did great. I took it slow (you can do that on back roads. LOL) so she wouldn't fall off the perch as it was her first time using it.

I don't plan on using this perch for any other rides in the car for safety reasons. I have to be extra cautious when she is riding up front with me. A trip to work only takes 10 minutes! I think she will enjoy this much more then the kennel! Here are some pics!

Back View
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Front View - after I got her in the car I forgot newspaper, so I covered the seat in paper towels for this trip only. LOL!

Savannah on her perch chewing on her harness.

Savannah looking at me. "Get Me Off Of This Thing"

Some photos Morgan took from her seat of Savannah

At least you can't tell how messy my car is! With a 7 and 3 year old, it's hard to keep clean. LOL!

kendrafitz
07-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Awesome job!!! She looks like she loves it! I just bought one that is similar to what you made and I don't even wan to tell you what it cost. Very smart and creative!

Blancaej
07-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks Kendra! I saw a picture of one and said to myself...I can build that! So I gave it a whirl this morning. It worked great!

Pinkbirdy
07-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Blanca ,That's fantastic [Im showing Dave] Its a pain with the harness and carrier [for me ] .Im sure because your consistent with taking her to work she will be a pro!!!

Debra
07-28-2013, 07:04 PM
That's great! You did a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Blancaej
07-28-2013, 07:08 PM
It really wasn't that hard to make Terri. Savannah's carrier is a medium dog crate and most of the time I have to get it in the car by myself when bringing her to work because my husband is already at work. So getting it into the back of my van with her in it is challenging to say the least. Plus, it is not her favorite place to be!

I am lucky that she will let me put the harness on her. I think I may have her start coming in 3 times a week soon. She seems to be enjoying it at work more and more. She is good sometimes about the harness then other times she is a little hesitant and I can tell she doesn't want to put it on. But all in all she is not too bad. With that said, I think the harness will get easier and easier the more I do it and when she understands that she is coming to work with me! Like you said...she will become a pro in no time! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Debra! Hopefully Savannah will grow to love going for car rides!

coltfire
07-28-2013, 09:02 PM
great job there blanca, thats what i need for my birdies when they go on car rides, ATM they just use the head rest and they love there car rides not that they have been for a ride in awhile.

Blancaej
07-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Like I said to Terri, they are not hard to make Steve. If I can do it, anyone can! LOL!

I decided to disassemble the t-stands I made my guys out of PVC. They are not stable enough. I am going to build some better ones that a friend of mine showed me a link of. Anyway, I used parts from the t-stand and left over parts from the play stand I made. I didn't have to cut a piece of pvc this morning. I used all left over parts. LOL!

spiritbird
07-28-2013, 09:54 PM
You could make those to sell others. You have creative talents lady. How much does one of those sell for?

Honesty
07-28-2013, 10:35 PM
You have done a fantastic job Blanca. I agree with Dianne, you could sell them :D

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

Blancaej
07-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks Ladies! I just looked online and ones similar to mine run $30 & up. They had a much fancier one for $75! I guess I saved a load of money. None of them had a natural perch like mine. Savannah likes that much better! Lol! :D

As for selling them, I have enough occupations already. Lol! :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Rescued
07-29-2013, 02:14 AM
Great job!

Blancaej
07-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks Elizabeth!

Turquoise
08-01-2013, 02:38 AM
That is a great job Blanca. I can see Savannah was happy to be out of her carrier. They do love to ride & be able to see where they are going. You are getting good at making pvc bird items.:thanks4sharingthumb

Back when I had my other birds in the 90s, I worked at our local V.F.W. as the Bar Manager and I would bring my male Solomon Island Eclectus once a week for a short while. I made a small wooden portable perch I latched down in the passenger seat with the seatbelt for him to ride on. My son would come out to pick Kakura (the S.I.'s name) up when it was his bedtime & take him home. Most of the old members loved seeing him there, except the Quartermaster. He hated any kind of animal except cats & complained to others about my 'nasty bird'. He wouldn't tell me directly, but he was one of the 2 names that signed my paycheck so I quit bringing Kakura. He was missed as he was a friendly bird & loved the attention.

Blancaej
08-02-2013, 02:49 AM
I really do think parrots thrive when continually exposed to social situations. Its too bad the quartermaster didn't like your bird. He ruined it for any one else!

I'm definitely having fun with pvc! Its like tinker toys for adults! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2