PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Mare
07-28-2013, 05:08 AM
I'm sitting in a chair, in a hotel room, (8:30pm), down south, 7hrs. away from my home and my birds, the phone in our room rings and it is my brother, (visiting from Bogata, Columbia),(family reunion). He is at our dad's house, sitting on the patio and a cockatiel flys on to the cover of the jacuzzi.?? He tried to call me but couldn't get through to my cell. My brother was sitting and eating tortilla chips and the bird flew to his shoulder! Brother, Larry, offered his chip and the bird devoured it, Larry said he was starving! and offered him/her more food and water, which the bird accepted. The bird is now sleeping, head under wing, on the bathroom door in the guest room that they are in.

The bird obviously belongs to someone. My hubby and I are heading home tomorrow and my brother, soon after. My dad is elderly and couldn't deal with trying to find it's home. I'm tempted to bring the bird with us but at the same time, someone may be missing their baby.

ShellyBorg
07-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Oh man. I would jump on CL and see if anyone is missing a bird. The unfortunate fact is with cheaper birds is that many people dump/lose them and never even try to find them. I think I would take it home and see if anything shows up on CL where you found him. If they are looking for him see what you could do about fostering it till you can do a meet up. I know I would happily drive 7 hours to get a pet back and would be happy some one cared to save him!

Mare
07-28-2013, 05:42 AM
Thank you Shelly, great advice. I will meet the bird in the morn and we'll go from there.

ShellyBorg
07-28-2013, 05:46 AM
Hope it all works out!

coltfire
07-28-2013, 07:37 AM
yes i agree with shelly, if the owner is looking they will get him/her back ,if not him/her will go to a good home.

Blancaej
07-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Hopefully you can find the owner. I think Shelly gave great advice!

Keep us posted!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

spiritbird
07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Birdie knew a friendly place to land. Praying for you and little tiel to find owners or keep is none.

Mare
07-29-2013, 01:46 AM
Well, we now have a cockatiel :). I think it's a he, posting a pic if anyone can help with that, he's colorful around the face and has very beautiful silver/gray on his back and tops of wings. Underneath his tail feathers, he is black. I believe he is young, from his size. We bought a small cage at Wal-Mart, too small but it was all they had and got home a couple hours ago. I cleaned up an old cage for him. My stepmom is going to post flyers and has checked with the closest neighbors. My brother's five year old daughter named him Chip, rather fitting really!
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
07-29-2013, 02:16 AM
He's cute! What will you do if you don't find the owner? Keep him! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
07-29-2013, 02:46 AM
You can count on that, Blanca! He's very sweet and friendly, I'm sure someone is missing him. I'm going to head over to cockatiel section to find out if I need to feed him a special diet! As I'm sitting here, next to him, he is chirping wild desert bird sounds! Interesting, indeed!

Pinkbirdy
07-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Well Mare ,I think he made his way to you [knowing your a Cockatoo family] . He will fit right in . [Tell your husband now it begins ]. I bet there will be more birds that cross your path [Chips a doll !!]

ShellyBorg
07-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Feed him just like your others. I owned teils for years and they do great on pellet fresh mix. If you do not have smaller pellets just crush them.

Mare
07-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Shelly, should the cockatiel seed be left in the cage at all times? I need to get more food bowls so he/she can have choices at all times. Do you think it is male? Do they look like that?

Mare
07-29-2013, 03:49 AM
Well Mare ,I think he made his way to you [knowing your a Cockatoo family] . He will fit right in . [Tell your husband now it begins ]. I bet there will be more birds that cross your path [Chips a doll !!]

Haha, Terri, my hubby's in love!

ShellyBorg
07-29-2013, 04:01 AM
He does look male, but breeders are getting the females brighter every year so?.

If you are going to switch to pellets I would only give a small amount of seed in with the pellets. Or only offer seeds for a short time a day. They are easy going birds and a hungry one will eat just about anything! Now is the time to see what all he will eat.

Mare
07-29-2013, 05:35 AM
I know he loves rice! On our drive home I offered him some leftover rice from last nights dinner, he couldn't get enough! I'm wondering how long he's been out and about. My dad feeds and provides water for the wild quail, rabbits, dove, you name it, he has an unrecognized rescue going there, I'm wondering how long this bird has been hanging around? My stepmom says she had been hearing a strange bird voice recently and from the sounds coming from Chip, this evening, he has been picking up sounds from the outdoor birds!

ShellyBorg
07-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Sounds like he has been out for a time. Can you weight him? Kitchen scale will work. That will give you a idea how much groceries he needs.

Debra
07-29-2013, 12:58 PM
He looks all male to me! Looks like my Bobby too.

Rescued
07-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Finches sminches, you were delivered exactly what God thought was best for you. :-) If his owners are looking, I hope that they find you, but if not he has a great home!

Mare
07-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks Girls! Shelly, he's not as tame as he appeared, I think he came to my brother because he was hungry? As of right now, I don't think I could keep him on a scale. Yes, Elizabeth, finches are on the back burner, for now. I seem to be drawn to cockys', or vice versa!

Turquoise
08-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Chip is a cutie. I don't know how I missed this thread. Probably cause I've been at work this week.

How awesome that animals just know who to seek out when they are in need. It definitely looks to be a male and they tend to be more vocal than the females.

Enjoy your new flock member. There is a good chance his former owner just turned him loose. It happens more than we hear about, especially in warm states!