PDA

View Full Version : ~~Share Your Musical Talents & Instruments~~

Turquoise
07-27-2013, 04:51 AM
We have a hobby thread showing just how talented we all are with our hands. So I thought I'd start one to see just how musically inclined we all are. I know Steve (coltfire) & Paul Birdmad) are musicians and surely we have more. Be it for your own personal pleasure or on a more professional note, lets see what you play or sing. :th_biggrin:

I'll start this off, my home is instrument poor! I have 2 electric guitars, 1 banjo & 1 fiddle. Hubby has 2 standards and 1 electric guitar. We also have a large Casio keyboard, but right now it is in the closet. No room for it with all my bird homes taking up floor space.:th_LOL: My first guitar was a very cheap standard my Mom got me when I was a teen. My son inherited that one when he was little. My 2nd guitar I got when I was 22, my Grandfather bought that one for me. I still have that one, it is my pride & joy. It is my 1973 E series Gibson hollow box electric with Humbucker pickups.

My brother, sister & niece were learning to play as a band back then. I played lead, lead break, & fill-in lead, my brother played chords, sister play bass guitar & my niece sang & played harmony. I never learned notes, never wanted to. I play by ear, I hear it and feel it in the strings. I feel playing by ear gives your music more life and personal depth. The band ended when my sister's then soon to be 2nd ex-husband burned her house down along with their guitars so she & the kids couldn't get it in the divorce.

My 2nd electric is my Washburn hollow box with Humbucker pickups, my hubby Jerry bought me a few years ago for a Christmas gift. I don't play much anymore, I just have other things I do instead. He still plays here at the house. I can play my banjo by ear, but never learned how to tune my fiddle by ear. So I have never done much with it. My Dad taught himself how to play a fiddle & played by ear. Wished he were around to teach me about it.

The last two photos are of an instrument I picked up in W. Virginia when I rode on hubby's truck. I can't remember what it is called, it is made by local artisans in the state. It is some kind of harp, never have learned how to play it. It went through the flood we had here & Jerry glued it back together for me.

This is my '73 electric Gibson.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

This is my electric Washburn.

Jerry's standard Takamini.

Jerry's standard Kona.
Jerry's electric Ibanez.

The Harp thingy I got in W. Virginia.

ConureGuy
07-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Alow me to be the first to show off :th_dancing: this was last month in ibiza at club privilege I'm sure these tunes will be more to your liking do enjoy. :)

Turquoise
07-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Again a very good one! Your music is awesome. Thanks for being the first to show us your talents Paul. :cool:

ConureGuy
07-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Your very welcome. :D

Turquoise
07-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Well it seems obviis there is no musical tent here other than a couple of us.

Thanks Paul for participating in my dead thread. :th_biggrin:

Pinkbirdy
07-31-2013, 11:27 AM
De'Andrea [I don't think I would ever be bored at your house] ;) Hey Paul !! Very cool :) Tequila's sitting next to me listening [hes my zon] too. Hes very excited ;)

Turquoise
07-31-2013, 12:39 PM
No Terri you probably would not be bored. You would go slap dab crazy instead. The maddening herd & noise would drive you over the edge.:th_imok::th_faint:

I know you have noise with 12 birds, but add a wolf pack & its worse than being in the Kalihari!

spiritbird
07-31-2013, 12:52 PM
I have the musical talent of a rock and I do not mean a band. I admire people like you two who do have the ability to express through music.

coltfire
07-31-2013, 02:37 PM
as soon as i get time i will put some up De,

Debra
07-31-2013, 02:59 PM
The closest I come to being musically talented is giving birth to my daughter who is amazing on the French horn. I love listening to her play.

Mare
07-31-2013, 03:57 PM
De', the harp thingy you got in W Virginia , looks like the harp thingy we bought in Oaxaca, Mexico! A musical instrument, for sure! I play, (sort of), acoustic guitar. I love musical instruments and love hearing live music, for that reason, such talent that I admire. My youngest son is an amazing flute player. He still plays in band at his university. Debra, like you, we have talent in our genes!

ConureGuy
07-31-2013, 05:00 PM
What can i say i was bread to be a master of music clearly my grandad wanted me to play a guitar or keyboard but i just sucked so badly at them then i got a pair of turntables put in front of me and bang what do you know it came natural to me.

I'm sure when i'm at home and i start the tunes going next doors first reaction is OH GOD DAMN IT NOT THIS CRAP AGAIN :th_loltears:

He even said to have it that loud i must be hard of hearing if that was the case i wouldn't be a very good dj now would i my hearing needs to be on point so i can count the bars of each track to cue the mixes up you wouldn't be impressed if you walked into a night club and the dj is playing quiet music but saying that i'm shocked i'm not hard of hearing with 2 parrots and 5 dogs. :th_LOL:

Turquoise
08-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Paul, I know what you mean about the noise in the house. I have 3 loud birds, 1 medium loud bird, 1 not much noisy bird & 9 tiny sweet sounding noise birds. Then you add my 'wolf pack' of 8 dogs & you have a riot around here when they all get to singing the Rainforest/Backwoods Serenade. :th_faint: I have to say I don't hear as well as I used to, but I blame that on age. When I was small child and into my teens (Oh so many years ago) I had super sensitive ears. The vacuum cleaner noise would hurt them. And when my Mom made me hold the other end of a 2X4 board or piece of paneling while she used a power saw to cut it, it literally felt like my eardrums were being ripped apart. Did I ever get cussed out for moving while holding the wood cause I was trying to hold one ear shut at the same time. She just thought I was squirming because I didn't want to help her. She could never understand the pain it put my ears through.

I have always had to run a fan summer & winter to drown out background noise so I could sleep. The slightest sound would keep me from sleeping. I feel the sensitive hearing is what gave me the ability to play by ear so well. I could hear something and let that sound travel down to my fingers & into the strings of my guitar. My Mom & hubby couldn't figure out how I did it, they could not hear the sound & recreate it. It was just a natural talent I was born with. I just never did anything with it & play very little anymore.

Steve I know you are busy right now. No problem, when you can you do need to put more of your music up. You are a great musician as well as Paul.:th_biggrin:

What kind of dogs do you have Paul? All of mine are actually a far cry from wolves (I call them the wolf pack as a misnomer). They are Foo~Foo dogs, 5 poodles (toy & standard), 2 shih tzus, & a sheepadoodle!:th_LOL:

Mare, it may very well be the same thing. Just because they claim it comes from & made in W. Virginia doesn't mean they don't lie to get someone to buy it.:th_hehe: I thought it was cute & unusual, but I have no idea how to play it!

ConureGuy
08-01-2013, 01:42 AM
I have always said enjoy life while you can because life's a kick in the teeth you never know what's around the next corner.

coltfire
08-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Here are a couple more of my songs,[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
some music and songs hope you enjoy

Debra
08-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Steve those are great! You are so talented. Do you play all the instruments or do you have a band?

coltfire
08-13-2013, 01:37 PM
its me and one friend on a key board with lots in it and we over lay the instruments, me on all guitars

Debra
08-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Wow! That's amazing.

Luthien
08-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Well I teach piano lessons so of course I play piano, I have since I was 5, my mom put me in lessons and I fell in love with it. I went as high as my teacher could teach me and then I started teaching, I love sharing the joy of music with others! :)

I also play violin, the back story to that is my great grandfather played. He had a violin made for him so it has no mark or brand in it, when he couldn't play it anymore he passed it onto his son (my grandfather) and then my grandfather passed it onto me because he is not music inclined LOL So I started taking lessons and now in less then 2 weeks I will be headed to the Canadian Grand Masters Fiddling Competition! So excited!!

On top of that I know the basics in guitar, I do own a guitar but it's just a standard cheap model. And in the band I'm in I play old style! The washtub base

ConureGuy
08-14-2013, 04:20 AM
I'll stick to spinning turntables it's easy to learn and when you get the chance to play big venue's the the croweds and the £500 pay out is well worth 3 hours of my time besides i love it i still get the same buzz as i did when i first started off doing it. :)

Turquoise
08-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Here are a couple more of my songs,[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
some music and songs hope you enjoy

Steve, those are super!! I loved both of them! :thanks4sharingthumb I will be saving these two on my other computer when I get back on the forum on it in a little while. You can keep 'em coming!! :th_biggrin:

Turquoise
08-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Well I teach piano lessons so of course I play piano, I have since I was 5, my mom put me in lessons and I fell in love with it. I went as high as my teacher could teach me and then I started teaching, I love sharing the joy of music with others! :)

I also play violin, the back story to that is my great grandfather played. He had a violin made for him so it has no mark or brand in it, when he couldn't play it anymore he passed it onto his son (my grandfather) and then my grandfather passed it onto me because he is not music inclined LOL So I started taking lessons and now in less then 2 weeks I will be headed to the Canadian Grand Masters Fiddling Competition! So excited!!

On top of that I know the basics in guitar, I do own a guitar but it's just a standard cheap model. And in the band I'm in I play old style! The washtub base

That's great news Luthien! You will have to tell us how you did in the competition. You won of course, right?!! :th_biggrin:

My dad taught himself to play the fiddle & he was very good at it. He never played in a band, just for himself & the family. My Mom could play the piano, she took lessons when she was a young girl.