PDA

View Full Version : A few birds I found on CL

Turquoise
07-27-2013, 12:00 AM
I sure wished more of you lived closer to me. I haven't been on CL in quite awhile and decided to browse a little today. I found 2 really low priced parrots in my area. One is a 7 yr old female Umbrella Cockatoo with cage for $300.00. The other is a Red headed, (Green Cheek, Red Lored, all the same) Amazon female with cage for $400.00. These of course, are in the Abilene, TX. Craigslist, but I thought it worth a try to add them here if any of our members live or know someone in the area looking for an Amazon or Too.

The Umbrella add does say she is sweet, but needs an experienced parrot owner, so probably some serious work involved with this one, hence the low price. The Amazon doesn't give any info about the bird.

There was a blue & gold macaw for $600.00, but I can't find it now. Maybe it found a home already.

Blancaej
07-27-2013, 10:28 PM
I hope they all find good homes De'. Thanks for sharing the info.

ShellyBorg
07-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Box up the U2 and the RLA and ship them here please! That would be a drive and a half!

Pinkbirdy
07-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Craigslist is dangerous [for me ]. I cant even let myself peek. I almost feel like that's the true rescuing [at least you know if their at a shelter their fed and safe] .I have birds coming out my ears ,AND I LOVE IT !!! Cant imagine being happier. But Its hard seeing birds [and I don't even know any bird people around me to encourage them to check them out].

Mare
07-28-2013, 04:32 AM
I'm with you Terri! I lose sleep over the birds I see on CL, thinking about what kind of situation they are in and wondering if I could help them, yikes! I think I might need professional help! No more CL for me!
Sassy came from CL and she needed us, so I'm thankful for that :).

Blancaej
07-28-2013, 12:12 PM
I feel the same way, I try to stay off! Lol!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Grey
01-02-2014, 06:25 PM
ok De'Andrea, I hate to nit pick but you were only partially right on the amazon. a Mexican Red Headed Amazon is indeed also called a Green Cheeked Amazon. A Red Lored is a completely separate species. BTW Mexican Red Headed Amazons are severely endangered

Abigal7
01-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Yes, some birds on CL look like they are in need. I do need to make a drive to Florida since they seem to be having birds coming out of their ears (that they are trying to rehome or a breeder is selling at a lower price then the breeders closer to my state).

Grey
01-03-2014, 01:50 AM
Florida certainly has an abundance of breeders, the climate is right for many species. There are also many people who share their lives with parrots (the whole Jimmy Buffet thing you know). unfortunately, the state's population is aging, the government is making it more difficult to transport parrots across state lines, etc. So yes there are many parrots available here that you won't find up north or at a fraction of the price

Turquoise
01-03-2014, 05:40 AM
ok De'Andrea, I hate to nit pick but you were only partially right on the amazon. a Mexican Red Headed Amazon is indeed also called a Green Cheeked Amazon. A Red Lored is a completely separate species. BTW Mexican Red Headed Amazons are severely endangered

:glitter-omg-emotico George!! You're picking on me and I am SOOO crushed!!!:th_crycry: Too much Drama? OK, you know me too well, I don't 'Crush' that easily.:th_pinklol2:

Geeez, I can barely remember this thread or reading the CL add. I can't even tell you if the add had it all listed as that as in type of Amazon or if it came from the wandering empty hallways of a memory past~~Mine! :th_biggrin: I told you we needed your expert Zon experience here!

And BTW, I did own a Mexican Red Head Amazon once way back in 1992 or '93. The most unassuming & quiet bird I have ever owned and that includes all Budgies I have had or still have! I do suspect this bird was a wild caught smuggled ex breeder bird. The story the lady I got it from told me was her son brought it in from California when she told him to find her a Nanday Conure.:oops2: The woman would not believe me when I told her she had an Amazon instead. She kept telling me her Nanday & it refused to breed and she didn't want the "weird" conure anymore. :th_LOL:

Cisco Red rarely made noise of any kind, just wanted to eat & sit quietly on it's perches. Never played with toys, hated to be touched, didn't like any other birds and I had an Orange Wing Zon who was a 'pistol' at the time as well as a few other species.

Grey
01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
yeah, sounds like he was wild caught. I had beautiful Blue Crowned Mealy that was like that. No matter what I did, I never got him to the point of completely trusting me. He would step up, take food from my hand, but not allow me to scratch his head or touch him anywhere. His name was Jorge