PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about adding a Panama Amazon to the flock

noblemacaw
07-25-2013, 10:38 PM
For a while I have been thinking about adding the third and final member to our flock. Now that Julio have been moved from my office downstairs to be by Valentino I am pondering adding one more parrot. I had the perfect opportunity for a white front amazon who needed a home but it was not to be. I really wish I could of adopted this parrot but time of year and after the expense of adopting Julio I just could not recoop the monies soon enough for all of it to fall together. This has made me very sad but Lupe helped me understand the timing was not right and the parrot needs to be placed sooner than later. I do not blame the owner for not being able to wait because of the medical condition of her son. We both had to move on.

I wanted to complete my flock before I went back to work in November. I had to realize that this is probably not going to happen unless I fall into some kind of windfall of money. Not only do I need to afford the expense of the parrot but I will need to buy a cage and afford the well bird checkup as well. Granted I have a bit of wiggle room for the well bird because the parrot would be in quarantine but I always like to get the visit out of the way ASAP so the parrot and us can move forward with bonding.

We are trying to plan for adding the next flock member next spring/summer/fall. I will be saving up part of my paycheck for this reason so I will be able to buy the cage and make payments on a parrot if I find one I would like. Lupe and I agreed to work toward getting the parrot instead of getting one right away. This is the only way we can afford it right now.

My research continued with different parrot species but I kept sticking with what I know. Looking into Pionus, conures and mini macaws. I almost started planning on getting a BTM but I realized that having two macaws would probably drive me insane. LOL I am trying to establish a balance in my flock so getting another bird similar to Valentino would be difficult on me. I thought about a yellow collar macaw but it has been hard to find a breeder I felt comfortable with. With the Pionus I learned they don't have a preening gland and are somewhat dusty. I know I have handled Pionus in the past and they have never made me sneeze or aggravate my asthma but I can't take that chance. I put the idea of adding the third member on the back burner. Especially after the disappointment of not being able to adopt the white front amazon.

Lately I have made a connection with a member of my RFM Facebook group. They directed me to their breeder who I began to correspond with. I really like their breeder and wanted some advise with my situation. With the glowing recommendation of the member and with my correspondence with the breeders I really clicked with them. They are all I like in breeders and these people have many many years experience with many species of parrots. After lengthy emails and discussing a lot about what I wanted to happen and of my desire to keep a nice balance the breeder suggested to me to look into the Panama Amazon. Even though I do not have experience with Amazons she relayed to me this species of Amazon are wonderful pets and weather the hormone seasons better. Like me she is a "macaw" person but loves this species of Amazon. She explained to me why and along with my research of them I realize the Panama Amazon would make a very good addition to my flock.

So of late I have been working with the idea of adding a Panama Amazon to our flock. This will be the last parrot that will join our family. I am open to adopting an older Panama but I think that would be hard because there is not a lot of them out there. I might have to settle for a baby but that would be alright with me.

Does anyone have a Panama Amazon they would like to post about. I would love to hear about your Pan and about males and females differences. I am very excited to be planning all of this out for us.

ConureGuy
07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Seems like the perfect time to add the final member of your flock oh what i would give to have a macaw in my house but sadly it's to small for one maybe next year or the following year when i have a larger place but for now i will gladly stick with my 2 current babies and the 3rd one which i will have by september. :)

Honesty
07-26-2013, 07:19 AM
A Panama is a great choice Rebecca. They are one of the most gentlest and placid of Zons, and also have excellent talking abilities.

Turquoise
07-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Awesome Rebecca, such great news! Sounds like a really good plan you have going for it next year. :th_hug8:

I've had Amazons many years ago, but not a Panama. I have read they are wonderful as pets. I look forward to hearing more about your search and photos once you find one.:th_biggrin:

Blancaej
07-27-2013, 09:55 PM
That is super exciting news Rebecca! If you have a photo of what they look like, I would love to see one. Keep us updated on when you find your baby. Like you, 3 will be my limit, too! Not counting my daughters bird of course! :th_biggrin:

noblemacaw
07-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Thank you everyone for such wonderful encouragement. The breeder of the pans did let me know she has two babies left and I want to act upon that but I don't think the timing is right. For starters the expense would be so much. I had some kind of windfall I could do it but even if money would come to me I am still working on Lupe. She flat out told me "I'm comfortable with the two we have I do not want to add another parrot." Right not she is very closed on the idea but I know in time I will be able to get her to see my way of thinking. (That sounded bad but its kinda true) I have to accept that I cannot get one of the babies this year. I will have to plan this out and envision this happening. It will also help I will have a steady income once I am back in the workforce later this year.

I do worry about how Valentino will handle my going back to work. I do have him use to him having to be by himself in his cage for at least 6 hours a day. Sometimes I will extend it to 7 rarely 8 (during the day I cannot work up in my office for all that time). He does know I am here and when I do extended day trips to my sister and do not come home until the evening he will call for me until I take him out (He is not use to going without me all that time). I have been slowly investing in brain toys for him, foraging toys and what not to help so he is not bored during his independent play and I hope Julio and Valentino will eventually find some kind of companionship of being in the same room together. I HAVE to figure out a way to set up a better water system for him. I have a hooded ceramic crock that he keeps crapping in. I change that thing out two to three times a day. ICKY POOPY WATER! Grosses me out big time but I wash it out with soapy water every time.

Anyway for now and expecially after I go back to work it will be just Julio and Valentino. I have not given up on getting my baby Panama and have let the breeder know I would be open for adoption for a Pan in need (Like that would ever happen. LOL) I am going to include one of the baby pictures the breeder had displayed under her visit photo collections. They are called Birdy buddies where once a week people come to the house to help socialize the babies.

Sorry if it comes out small. I am uploading it from my HDD cuz I didn't upload it to my photobucket yet.

ShellyBorg
07-27-2013, 10:43 PM
That is super exciting news Rebecca! If you have a photo of what they look like, I would love to see one. Keep us updated on when you find your baby. Like you, 3 will be my limit, too! Not counting my daughters bird of course! :th_biggrin:

WE don't have to claim our kids birds!!!!!! WOHO! I know what they are getting for Christmas!

Blancaej
07-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the update. My husband wasn't ready in may but when I asked again in July he was. I'm sure Lupe will come around. ;)

Shelly - lol! No you don't. Christmas gift...great idea. Lol! :D
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2