PDA

View Full Version : Snakes, Lizards & Birds, Oh My!

Blancaej
07-25-2013, 06:47 PM
So we went on yet another mini vacation from Sun-Tues. We went up to Ottawa Canada then over to Montreal on Tuesday. They have some great museums up in Ottawa. We visited the nature museum and went to a live reptile show. It was all hands on and the kids got to pet all kinds of reptiles. Here are some pictures:

Morgan petting a bearded dragon.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Marcus petting a baby bearded dragon.

Marcus petting a turtle.

Me feeding a camilion. That was cool!

Morgan and Marcus petting a Komoto Dragon.

The kids petting a python.

Kids photo op with the big giant snake!

Blancaej
07-25-2013, 07:03 PM
We also went to the Biodome in Montreal on Tuesday. They have created different habitats within the "dome". One of those simulated habitats is the rainforest. We went to the Biodome because they have a pair of hyacinth macaws there. Well they are rotated and they were not out yesterday. Won't be until December! But we did see a couple of scarlets and military macaws. Here are the photos:

This poor scarlet lost it's tail feathers. :(

Scarlet #2

Military Macaws

This appears to be a new breed of bird or reptile hatching as we speak. Not sure I recognize the breed, do you? LOL!

Blancaej
07-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Here are a couple of Puffin pics I took.

Debra
07-25-2013, 07:40 PM
How much fun you all must have had! Great pictures. Kids look like they were enjoying themselves.

Blancaej
07-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks Debra! We had an awesome time. We seem to have more fun on our 3 day mini trips then our week ones. LOL!

Rescued
07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Beautiful pics! They are lovely, I especially love the Puffins; they are such interesting creatures.

Blancaej
07-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks Elizabeth! I thought the puffin photos came out pretty well considering I was shooting through glass. They were so fun to watch!

mrgoogls
07-26-2013, 01:30 AM
haha looked fun. whe I was little there was a retile thing like that at my school every year! helped get me started for my love of reptiles(and now birds too!). looks like your kids had fun! and I hate the one to be a "downer" and point this out, but I HIGHLY doubt that was actually a komodo dragon :O it was most likely some other type of monitor(a komodo is a monitor, just HUGE and very very very very aggressive and powerful)

Blancaej
07-26-2013, 01:47 AM
I couldn't remember the exact type. I'm sure I got it wrong. lol!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pinkbirdy
07-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Your kids are so cute !! (in the egg] ;) Of course I love the birds .

mrgoogls
07-26-2013, 02:04 AM
I couldn't remember the exact type. I'm sure I got it wrong. lol!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

haha, its okay. most monitors look very similar unless you know what to look for :)

Turquoise
07-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Awesome photos Blanca!!! :th_biggrin: Love 'em all!

See everyone who is squeamish reptiles, it is just fine to pet/own lizards, snakes & turtle/tortoises. They are not the 'monsters' so many folks believe them to be. And look at how much fun Blanca's kids were having with them. The lizard looks to be a Savannah Monitor by the spots on its back. Not totally sure as there are many different kinds of monitors that make good pets if you have the space for their enclosures & can provide the proper environment for them.

Love the Scarlets & the Puffins. Would love to go see all of it myself. I love zoos & places where they have large areas the certain animals are kept in instead of cages.

Blancaej
07-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I really loved the presentation De'! The guy that put it on is doing outreach so people understand what it takes to adopt a reptile. Like birds, people buy them on impulse at the pet store then they grow too huge or become to expensive to care for then they get rid of them. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Birds have the same issue. So I really liked how he discouraged adopting some reptiles and encouraged others. But he went through the care of all of them. He did a great job! It inspired me to consider outreach around here on parrots!