PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert recognized danger in the yard

buddingtwigs
04-16-2013, 12:04 AM
I had Gilbert out in his harness for a while today and he was enjoying it as usual. Suddenly he looked terrified and started flapping and flew to the ground (to the end of his leash) and i called him back and picked him up. I looked where he was looking and saw a what appeared to be a hawk flying, high above, but circling our yard. I was just amazed at how sharp their instinct is. Here he is a "pet" bird, never taught by a parrot parent, lived in safety, and immediately felt fear at the sight of that. He has watched planes and helicopters and many birds in the yard peacefully but totally freaked out when he saw the hawk.
I was also happy to have the harness and leash, because i feel more 'in control' of keeping him close and safe.

At my old house (more in the woods) there was this gigantic hawk i frequently saw in the yard. When my dog was a puppy, he was just over one pound and barely larger than my cell phone (chihuahua), and i was afraid to even take him outside sometimes. I kept him on a short leash and NEVER let him out without me right next to him. Hawks can be pretty fierce. It may be natural to them and they are just being hawks, but NOT WITH MY BABIES! :)

Honesty
04-16-2013, 07:42 AM
I am pleased Gilbert is ok. Hawks can be quite a problem where Birds are concerned:(

We have to be very aware of the Sparrow Hawks over here.

Wendy K.
04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
YIKES Patti! What a scare for Gilbert and you. :th_omg:

My fids go ballistic, too, when I have them outside and a hawk (or eagle) flies by. For some reason the vulchers dont' bother any of them, but the second they spot a bird of prey, all bets are off.

We have a pergola that was covered by Wisteria, so my fids had some shade AND "some" protection from the hawsk, but we took the Wisteria out last fall as it was lifting up all the pavers under the pergola. I have to be quite vigilant this year when I take my babies out, especially since they will have little cover now. :(

And I agree, even though they were born and raised in captivity, their sense of danger is as acute as ever. :)

buddingtwigs
04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Georgie used to only go out on my covered front porch or in her travel cage, because i was so overprotective of her. But she wasn't harness trained. I feel somehow more controlled with that harness on Gilbert but i still have to keep my eyes open and give him my attention when we are out. I have kind of a flat, open yard, with a good view for the hawks. (house is on a double lot, so the yard i use is technically the empty lot next to my house)

Wendy K.
04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Oh yes, being harness trained is definitely a HUGE plus. I only wish my fids would allow me to put a harness on them. :(

I think Hunter would have NO problems with one, I can truly do anything and everything with her. Sam? Maybe! As for Niko and Ripley....forgeddaboudit, lol. I'm afraid I might lose a limb attempting to put either one of them 2 into a harness. :th_oops:

buddingtwigs
04-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Georgie would have taken a chunk out of my finger if i had tried a harness. I really think starting SO young on Gilbert and having him be kind of laid back by nature has made things easy on me!

Kalidasa
05-10-2013, 02:32 AM
I just got a harness for my conure and am wearing it as a bracelet for now, which she barely notices.
So glad your (adorable) conure spied that hawk right away....there are lots of winged predators in my area also, so if she's to be outside and not confined at this point, the harness is the only way to go. She's really easy going about being touched and held (she loves it) so I'm hoping that things go smoothly when time comes.

Mare
05-10-2013, 03:48 AM
I had the Sassy Goffin's in her outdoor cage, a couple days ago, and some red tail hawks were kiting overhead. Definitely, got her attention! They didn't scare her but she sure did watch them closely.
Amigo is very aware and savvy about hawks. He's actually been taken down and had a tussle with one, a red tail, in our yard. He survived without bodily injury, thankfully, and is more aware, than ever, of hawks in the territory.

roxynoodle
05-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Pete is always watching through the window for hawks, and is quite frightened of them.

Hawks have even attacked and killed birds in cages, or tried to come right thought windows in houses, so definitely be wary around them.

buddingtwigs
05-10-2013, 01:29 PM
I heard we would see more hawks than usual this season, at least in this region. I'm not sure how true that is, as i have seen them around for years, but, I keep that in mind when i take Gilbert outside. I don't even put him on the T stand much (in his harness) but HOLD him while in his harness. I feel like i could keep better control while he is WITH me like that. Something about my Gilbert in particular, maybe after losing Georgie suddenly and unexpectedly last summer, makes me think "i would die of a broken heart if something bad happened to Gilbert!" I have to be super careful!

JadeC
05-10-2013, 03:43 PM
A few days ago I was at the beach and there was a huge flock of seagulls. The only seagull that was sitting in the water was a baby (could tell by the color) and a HUGE bald eagle was attacking this poor baby amongst all these adults. :( I wanted to to swim out there and save this poor baby, but there was no way. The eagle kept circling around and attacking this baby, over and over. It was sad but very amazing.

Blancaej
05-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Their instincts are amazing! Glad all was ok. I love the name Gilbert by the way. Very cute! :th_biggrin: