PDA

View Full Version : Shipping by Airlines

ShellyBorg
07-24-2013, 05:05 PM
I am looking around and it looks like the cost is right around $150? Any one have a idea of the best airlines or ones to stay away from? Hints to making the trip as smooth as possible? Not shipping anything yet, but I am talking to a family 9 hours away and playing with the idea that shipping may be easier / cheaper then driving, with less stress because they would not be in transit as long.

JadeC
07-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Continental airlines have climate control for the birds and hand carries them to and from the airplane. I recommend these guys. About $130-$150. :) Good luck!!

Pinkbirdy
07-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Owen came from Georgia to New York [I think United] . It was a much better experience than I expected [I would do it again] I agree ,a long car ride would seem more wearing on everyone. The size of the crate for the bird determines the price. Remember to tell the owners to wire food in the crate. Good Luck

JadeC
07-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Wait, it was United!!! They do the climate control thing and handle birds very nicely. Yeah, put some food in there but don't put anything in that could come loose. I would just leave the food on the floor of the carrier. An open carrier is better than one filled with toys/food bowls/treats.. In case they get sloshed around a bit, no worry about injury. When my breeder sent me Meiko, she even put some plastic mesh on the outside of the bars so nobody is sticking their nasty fingers inside poking the bird. Anyway, hope this helps!!!

ShellyBorg
07-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks!

Turquoise
07-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Ruby Jewel was shipped to me from Washington state through United. Her breeder also wired mesh over the door to keep fingers out. She wired a cluster of grapes and a chunk of apple for moisture. She put peanuts in the bowl attached to her crate. As you can see Ruby Jewel had plenty of room in the crate for a big bird. I was very apprehensive about shipping and worried over her trip much more than she did. Her shipping was free to me, included in her price but I think it was around $150.00.

The trip went without any hitches. She had a layover of about an hour in Chicago before flying into Dallas at around 06:30pm. We didn't fare as well as Ruby Jewel on the trip. All of our directions once we got to the airport were hard to follow since they have taken down all street signs. After about 1 1/2hrs of driving in circles & being sent to another area where planes fly in cargo, we finally found someone who could tell us we were one road over from where we needed to be. We get inside & she was in her carrier at the counter waiting quietly & as calm as could be. We had a 2 1/2 hr trip to get home by car which she took very well to. Got her into her cage & settled in around 02:00am and she has been the best girl I could ask for ever since.

This photo was taken of Ruby Jewel right after getting home while
I got everything ready for her to be transferred to her enclosure.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

plax
07-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Both Zaf and Salsa were shipped to me via Delta "Pet First". I encountered no problems either time.

Blancaej
07-27-2013, 09:57 PM
I used to think shipping birds was a big no no, but I've read more and more positive stories of birds being shipped. I think as long as you use the right airline and the person on the other end does their part. All should go smooth! Good luck and keep us posted!

ShellyBorg
07-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Not shipping anyone yet. I am just getting my ducks in a row!

Pinkbirdy
07-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Is it for a Catalina duck ?:)

ShellyBorg
07-27-2013, 11:39 PM
I was talking to them, but she decided she wants to do a home check and wants to met the person to make sure they are not a flipper. . I hope she finds the home she is looking for down there.

Pinkbirdy
07-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Its too bad you couldn't Skype and video tape your place.[I think shes missing out] .You did so great with Your Amazon.

ShellyBorg
07-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Thank you!

Blancaej
07-27-2013, 11:59 PM
I agree with Terri. Its too bad you couldn't Skype. Sorry it didn't work out. :(

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ShellyBorg
07-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Its ok. A macaw will be with me a LONG time. I can wait for mine to come along.