PDA

View Full Version : What is best for the bird, not the owner.

ShellyBorg
07-23-2013, 10:35 PM
I am posting this here because I feel it is our responsibility as bird owners to make sure our pets have the best life they can.

Well I have a Quaker parrot I love very much but I hand raised her, and now that she has reached maturity she wants little to do with me. She spends as much time with me as any of the other birds but she just does not want to bond with me. She would love to be buddies with my teens, but they do not have time for her. I can tell she wants someone for her self and as I am "Mom" that will not be me. :( I made arrangements with a cousin this weekend to give Widget to her and her family. They have a older Lory already along with parakeets and. I know she will be well taken care of and she will have a chance to meet "her" person. It hurts that I can not be what she needs. If she needs to be able to bond and be happy,and not live with "Mom" then I need to make sure that happens for her.

I have a couple more months with her and I will be doing some clicker training and make sure she has all the tools she needs to be the best pet ever. She will go with her big new cage and toys along with new toys and a play stand I will build so she have everything she needs. Sometimes what our pets need is not always what we can offer. As much as this hurts I want her to be as happy as she can.

If anyone else finds them self in a place where to do what is best for there bird or any pet is to give it up to a better life, know that that is OK. Know that you did all you could do, then make sure that the next placement is for the better.

JadeC
07-23-2013, 11:10 PM
:) Good advice!!

spiritbird
07-23-2013, 11:20 PM
You are so courageous and correct. We do need to keep in mind what is the best life for our companion birds over ourselves.

ConureGuy
07-24-2013, 12:07 AM
It's always sad having to get rid of your babies but you have to do the best thing and what is right for the bird.

plax
07-24-2013, 12:08 AM
I'll agree, but under the following two conditions... First, only when there's clear indication that a beloved pet's next home is going to be a better place for his/her health and/or happiness. And next, only when there's reasonable assurance that the new home will serve as the pet's forever home, as opposed to turning into one stop along the path of many future homes.

ShellyBorg
07-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Vary true Plax. If for some reason this placement did not work out I would welcome Widget back with open arms!

Turquoise
07-24-2013, 01:26 AM
I completely understand yours & Widget's need for the change. I know how hard it is to give them up. :th_hug8:

I had to do that with all my parrots many years ago due to life changes & I could not be home for weeks at a time with no one to take care of them while I was gone. I really never thought I'd get parrots again and didn't for many years.

You know what is best for your Widget and I support your decision. It sounds like she will be going to a very nice new home.:th_biggrin:

Mare
07-25-2013, 11:06 PM
You can keep close tabs on Widget, seeing how she is going to your cousin. I hope it works out for everyone, especially Widget!

Blancaej
07-25-2013, 11:57 PM
You know in your heart its the right thing to do and I commend you for that. Sounds like Widget is going to a good home! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ShellyBorg
07-26-2013, 03:17 AM
I will! It has upset me for a couple years now that Widget would be hanging out with me, but would stand on my shoulder as far away from my head as she could. When any one would walk by she would look so happy and beg them to pick her up. It use to be when she was really young that I was the stars and moon for this little girl. Now I am feeder and care taker. :(