PDA

View Full Version : Do your birds fly to you...

Mare
07-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Do your birds fly to you because you call them or, because they want to be ON you? That's my question of the day. Sassy is like flys on doo when she is out, reminds me of iron ore coming to a magnet, she's hard to shake and makes me think she would be a good candidate for free flight but she is way too small for that venture.
Amigo comes when I call and I think it's because he wants to be with me but he is not cloyingly clingy like my Sassy girl.

Honesty
07-20-2013, 09:06 PM
If Codie is on his Playstand and I am on the computer, then he flys to me. If I go into the kitchen , he will follow, fly onto the worktop. where he watches intently what I am doing. If I go to the other end of the kitchen, then he will fly over to me. He does not fly to me if I call him though. He just looks at me lol

Macawfancy
07-20-2013, 09:29 PM
My Pebbles flies to my shoulder from her birdroom playgym. She only does that when I am within her sight otherwise she plays on the gym. I use that time to flip and fly her for exercise since I know she will come right back for more. :th_dancing:

Mare
07-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Wendy, you are part of his flock or mate, probably mate. My human mate will act similarly! :)

Mare
07-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Hi Macawfancy, how do you flip and fly a bird? I'm not sure what that means?

Pinkbirdy
07-21-2013, 03:08 AM
Owen [my Rb2] is the first bird to fly [for me] with some kind of direction. He flys to an area he wants to be [mostly near me] .I can get him to fly to me [with coaxing]. Pearl [the Goffin] is pretty tame too. He flys to the playstand when I want him to.

Mare
07-21-2013, 03:35 AM
I guess I would have to call Sassy a Velcro bird, she does have to be pealed off at times. Owen sounds amazing, I'm so happy for you that he is doing well and it looks like Pearl is a happy guy too! :)

Blancaej
07-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Quincy is my Velcro. He doesn't fly on me
Has done that maybe a couple of times in 13 years. He mostly flies near me or gets off his cage and walks to me. He used to never make it a habit to walk on the floor, but has been doing it a lot lately. I would like to teach him recall training. I need to go on you tube and find a video on how to start.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Debra
07-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Out of 13 birds, only one wants to be on me enough to fly to me. Tex wants to be on a person at all times. Lucy wants to be on Jerry sometimes but won't fly to him.

Mayden
07-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi Macawfancy, how do you flip and fly a bird? I'm not sure what that means?

I think by flip and fly it's like, they fly to you, you throw them so they go back to where they were at, and fly back to you again. Like flipping the bird around to fly back to you again.

We do this for exercise with monkeybutt Merlin; he HAS to be on someone and is very rarely settled without (or at least very near) so we make him work off his weight by doing what I said above :p

Wayne361
12-04-2013, 11:45 PM
During flight recall training Oscar will fly to me on cue nearly 100 percent of the time. When not training he will fly to me to chill out and/or for scratches. Have taught him to station on those occasions that I dont want him to fly to me. His flight ability is night and day from when I got him as a rehome....

Wayne

Mare
12-05-2013, 12:24 AM
I find flight 'training' fascinating. It's a wonderful tool to teach your birds, for sure. Sounds like you and Oscar have one heck of a bond! My U2 will come when I call, even when I don't, he seems to show up! Do you fly Oscar outside?

Pat 621
12-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Where can I find info on flight training?

Julius 07/09

Mare
12-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Pat, this is a question for Wayne. My method is very unconventional and mostly, luck is involved :)

Wayne361
12-05-2013, 06:52 PM
I find flight 'training' fascinating. It's a wonderful tool to teach your birds, for sure. Sounds like you and Oscar have one heck of a bond! My U2 will come when I call, even when I don't, he seems to show up! Do you fly Oscar outside?

I have thought about freeflight for about 30 seconds LOL Honestly I dont have the nerve to try. Harness training is in the works and i will fly him on a leash but honestly I couldnt live with myself if he got away/lost/killed etc. Have been through too much in rehabilitation/training to risk it. I know others do it and Im cool with it but it is not a level of training that I aspire to personally.

Wayne

Wayne361
12-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Where can I find info on flight training?

Julius 07/09

This is what I did and got info from other forums.....I didnt invent the wheel hahaha. First got Oscar target trained. Then I made up some flight stands. He was deathly afraid of flight stands so had to desensitize to the stands, using targetting, which took a while. Once all was comfortable with stands it was simply targetting from stand to stand while stands where in walking distance apart for oscar. Then moving stands out slightly so he had to jump and/or use some wing action to navigate the distance. I used verbal cue "perch" to get him used to command...touch/reward. Please remember oscar had basically zero flight experience as he was clipped in previous home and only flew if terrified. Gradually increased the distance between perches as Oscars confidence grew....didnt push his confidence level too fast in the beginning to ensure his confidence level would continue to increase. I then took target stick (visual cue) away and just used verbal once oscar realized going from perch to perch would get him rewards. Early on he would get excited and fly uncued to next perch in an effort to extract treats. He quickly learned that flying on cue was the only way to solicit treats as I NEVER rewarded without me first cuing behaviour. This lead to stationing training but save this for later. Eventually perches were 35-40 feet appart and his flight was steadily getting better and better. I also put some obstacles in his flight path to force him to navigate laterally thus improving flight from just a linear path. His confidence increased and fear greatly reduced overall as a result. I could see a startling difference in behaviour. Once his confidence in flying was good I simply would target bird to my hand from perch saying "come" (my verbal cue for flight recall) once he got the hang of it and where he was supposed to land I simply took away the target stick and by holding up hand served as visual cue with "come" being the verbal. Treat on every recall and he got the hang of it in no time. Increased distances etc. I am now into variable ratio enforcement where i dont reward on every flight/recall but he knows treat is coming and works for it.
Thats the coles notes version of what I did. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

Wayne361
12-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Once you have bird flight trained on cue you can then go into flighted retrieve (which oscar absolutely loves) with various objects, basketball, etc. I mix it up so he has to go with cue and not just conditioned behaviour.

Wayne

tonkatiel
12-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Punky is my velcro bird - if shes not in her cage or on her playstand eating then shes on me guaranteed!
Skittles will fly to me when I call him most of the time, every now and then he'll decide that he'd prefer to keep on doing what hes doing (generally standing on the lovebirds cage harrassing them!) But normally he's pretty good at coming to me when called...
The smaller birds, umm yeah no chance lol, they don't like me very much lol... They are pretty good at going back into their cages when told to though :)

JadeC
12-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Meiko is pretty clingy, but he definitely come on cue. If I hold my hand out and wiggle my fingers, he knows that I want him to come to me. He wants to be on me 80% of the time though haha He flys to me not on cue if I walk away from him. Silly bird :P