PDA

View Full Version : 'Too dependence is draining :c

Fawn
07-19-2013, 05:38 PM
First, my little pookie:

After all the vet bills and long-term formula feeding, the incessant daily crying, finally weening her to pellets... Found out the other day, my G2 has started to pluck the little feathers at the base of her legs. It's definitely self inflicted and not natural, she sports the little scabs to prove it.

Some behavior I've noticed: When she's let out with everyone else, she bee-lines it for my Umbrella. She tries to "preen" him - only managing to yank out his feathers which obviously ticks him off. They don't fight, they try to love on each other but the size differences makes it difficult. When frustration arises (usually from my umbie), they get separated for obvious safety reasons. She is flighted and this makes having her out with the others a task and a half. She likes to dive bomb the umbrella and because of this my eyes don't leave their location for more than a minute at a time. This behavior really stresses everyone out due to all of the constant screaming and displays from the umbie. I would like to come up with a different schedule for their play time but it's tough. We only have our time to spare after work when we get home, and all weekend. Sometimes I'm stuck with 4 unruly birds alone after work, kind of like this week. So spliting their time is hard. And I always feel like it's just not enough. She's so wired all the time and definitely makes my head spin... she's hard to keep up with for sure.

Then there's my lovebug umbie:

I can't seem to get him to stop being so scared of everything and become more confident. He gets startled by the dive bombing (who wouldn't though -_-), other outside birds through the window, tv noises, ceiling fans.. me opening the kitchen cabinets. If i take him outside, he's curious and quiet as long as I stay on the porch. And so help me god, I cannot get him to stick to his java tree for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Having all the birds out and being the only one home is pure and utter chaos. But I have to do it, otherwise they'd be stuck in their cages for far too long and that makes behavior TONS worse when they're let out.

I'm just feeling really discouraged, like we've taken on more than we can handle. This doesn't mean I'll be giving up on them... I'm just finally realizing what it takes and trying to dig deep within myself to try harder. I'm a one-man show when it comes to the bird care.. and taking care of 4 birds alone, 2 and sometimes 3 of them being high-maintenance, is taxing after a long day at work. I wish we took our time before acquiring another 'Too (the last 2 birds were not my decision). It's far from easy for me right now..

I'd appreciate if anyone would like to shed a beam of hope on me lol I'm not feeling so up to par with this whole parronthood thing :c And I don't think I'll ever own another 'Too as long as I'm alive... I truly don't think humans are capable of providing the perfect cocktail of stimulation and companionship for these creatures.. they're far too complex.

Mare
07-19-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry you are having issues :th_hug8:, here's a big hug and please know you are not alone. I also have a Goffin's and a U2 and it was tricky at first but it can be done. My husband helps a lot and because Sassy Goffin's prefers him, that makes it easier for me when he is home, (he travels, often). When alone, I will divide my time, in a separate room from the other bird I will take Sassy and we hang out to do whatever I'm doing. Sometimes it will only be ten minutes worth, usually much longer, but it's quality time, for her, and she will be content when put away. I have a cage for her in the living room also and put her in there while I give Amigo his special attention in the bird room. He can be quite happy with 5mins. worth but I usually try and spend at least a half hour with him. Because he flys outside with me he actually gets a lot more.
What I have learned is they will scream for your attention more if you jump to their calls every time they call. Even though I would never allow Amigo and Sassy out together in the same room, they do love each others company, in their own cages, in the same room. I wish you luck. Personally, these are the only birds I've ever had, I don't know if I'd know how to act with something less complicated!

Are you able to separate where you keep your bird's cages? I'm just thinking that if you could let your Goffin's out somewhere besides the same room as your umbrella, your umbie might not feel so threatened and maybe cross that off his list of frightening things.

Pinkbirdy
07-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Fawn ,Hi I remember talking to you [when I was going to rehome that crazy goffin] . So I know exactly what your talking about.I agree with Mare on the individual quality time [with goffins] . It doesn't take much [but are very content when they get it] just be consistent. What I would do is - find time to get her out in the morning . They must be crazy birds by the afternoon waiting to get out.This could be a little bit of the problem. I get up at 4:30 to do mine [but I have 12 birds] and have to be to work by 8.Do a 180 with her [for the beginning plucking ] Move her cage ,get shreddable toys [I put newspaper on top of the cage ] they pull it through the bars] pinecones . Pearl loves wyffle balls[ I string them together] Set an individual time out with her by herself [play ball ,dance]. As for the screaming [and 2 screaming is different than anything else] I have 3 Toos Belly and Pearl came screaming [the Goffin was the worst] I had him since June .We seem to have a understanding. When ignoring doesn't work. [Remember mine was a Goffin that had gone wrong]. He goes to time out [with a look from me were not doing this] .It works [JT on here told me to do that] Pearl has taught me a lot he just wants to be the the star [make a big deal when you see her playing with toys.] Be real excited about her.

Fawn
07-22-2013, 08:10 PM
thank you both for your responses!! i was seriously losing my mind after just the 3rd day home alone with them. once in a while is perfectly fine and easily manageable, but after a few consecutive days of trying to balance out time with them... :th_faint:

i swapped everyone in and out of their cages yesterday before leaving the house with the girls and then again when we got home, and it seemed to work out really well!! everyone was happy, well fed and well behaved. i think i need to just get over the guilt and just do the best that i can. i'm going to forget, make mistakes, and be derpy and be alone while doing it.. but i'm trying :th_ashamed3:

mare, we're definitely working on moving them! that's a great idea and i was thinking the same!! they're in an upstairs bedroom they have all to themselves, but they're up there all day. since we have an second living room that isn't used, i'd like to move them downstairs and use the bedroom for sleeping. soon! i've tried doing things around the house with her but, she's just been weened a couple months ago (long story), and everytime i run the kitchen sink she throws a fit. so.. maybe i'll take her upstairs to watch me clean lol can't do bills with her, she managed to cost me $70 for a new keyboard on my lap top u_u ...i think she has it out for me lol

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

maybe i can have the goffin shower some mornings as well? her skin seems really SUPER dry (more than normal) and she has a TON of pin feathers coming in.. or would that make her skin worse? could that be causing the plucking as well? is there a natural topical i can put on her skin for now, or is that a no-no?

Pinkbirdy
07-24-2013, 02:41 AM
I. think your doing good!!! (its such a learning process]. Everyones different ,just keep trying different things you will find your way. I would [very,very,soon] move them to the main part of your house. They all want to be in the action [especially toos].My goffins problem was he was put in a upstairs bedroom all day. This bird became MAD!!! and acting out.I would incoperate yours into your morning schedules,be consistent with showers [no creams or ointments]. I share my breakfast with one ,watch the news ,check email get ready, have some out while im getting their breakfast. Remember its quality time with them [doesn't have to be long.]

Turquoise
07-24-2013, 03:40 AM
I don't own a Too, never have owned one. So I don't have any help for you. Mare & Terri have given you excellent suggestions & help. They know what they are talking about living with Toos.

I just wanted to say, I have great respect for all of you folks who take on the task of living with. After reading what each one of you here go through every day with your feathered darling Toos, it makes me so humble & grateful my feathered kids are so easy to live with!

I work & can spend only a short time with them on work days. But, with my flock all I have to do is take everyone out to their individual play perches while I get their breakfast ready. Then in the afternoon I get them all out again while I get ready for work. When it is time to leave the house, they all know they have to go back in til they see me come through the door the next morning. This is of course my 3 macaws & my ekkie girl. The GCC doesn't come out very often on work days unless I take her out since she prefers to hang out on my shoulder. The parakeets never come out since they are not hand tame & live in a large flight cage.

I had always read Cockatoos were the most demanding of their owner's time of all our parrots. It takes a special parront to love & deal with that every day.:th_hug8:

Blancaej
07-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Sounds like things are going better Fawn! Glad to hear it. I too, highly respect those who have too's as pets. There just seems to be so much more to them. It's a lot of work, but I'm sure the reward is amazing! :D

Mare
07-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Are they really that much more complex? Not ever having owned other species of birds, I'm curious. Don't they all require attention? People say that 'toos require more than most but I have found that if they are given not only their needs but a little bit more like,, what they expect, life can be good :th_biggrin:!

Blancaej
07-27-2013, 11:09 PM
I really can't say for sure but everything I've read seems to indicate they are in the high maintenance category. Not that all parrots aren't. Lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
07-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I love my 'toos Blanca and have been away from home for a few days so I'm getting a little sentimental. I'll be home tomorrow telling a whole different story!

Blancaej
07-28-2013, 12:54 AM
I miss my fids too when I'm away.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Minamommy
01-15-2014, 05:00 AM
I just saw this and was wondering how you were making out Fawn? I just put Mina to bed and fell into bed exhausted. I wondered how many of you can take care of more than one Too? Sometimes I feel I can't take care of one lol.

Mare
01-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Kim, do you put Mina down for the night at sunset? I can't recall your work schedule or if you work out of the home? My cockatoos are much happier, overall, if they get their downtime between sunset and sunrise. Folks that work away and don't get home till after dark, can be a bit rough on the cockatoos. This is just my opinion :).

Pinkbirdy
01-16-2014, 02:46 AM
I have to put Pearl to "Bed" too. Its a process !!! things go well if Im on the schedule . Tonight I got home later so that makes everything later.So I know where your coming from :)

Minamommy
01-17-2014, 12:57 AM
I put Mina to bed at 8 pm and get up at 9 to 10. I have really bad insomnia. So many nights don't sleep. I don't work right now thank goodness. I'm glad I get to spend my time with her. I guess I just need to relax. I'm constantly cleaning up after her. Cleaning poop off the floor so she doesn't get dirty feet. Clean food and snack crumbs off the floor. Scrub cage and dishes. Play and play some more. Then housework family time then more Mina time. Am I going overboard?

Pinkbirdy
01-17-2014, 02:29 AM
Toos are freakin messy!!! I call mine the "Food Slinging Screaming Mi Mi's" I don't think theirs a problem with what your doing .Unless she screams when your not paying attention and doing other things.Then you would need to change her schedule.