PDA

View Full Version : Wild Raven gets help with quills in its face.

Turquoise
07-17-2013, 06:57 AM
This is an amazing video of a wild raven who needed help getting porcupine quills out of its face.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

coltfire
07-17-2013, 08:40 AM
thats amazing the way it just sits there and lets her pull them out with out attacking

Debra
07-17-2013, 12:56 PM
That is simply amazing. They are so smart and this one knew the people would help him, even if it hurt.

spiritbird
07-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Raven does not look so wild to me. Perhaps he had people in his life sometime.

Turquoise
07-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Maybe he did have people in his life at one time. But even my parrots who know me very well would never sit that still & let me pull anything out or off of them without being confined if it hurt as much as quills in the face would. So even if it is tame, it was still being a very nice bird about something that had to hurt.:th_biggrin:

coltfire
07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
i must ask what is the difference in a crow and raven, to me that is what we call a crow.

Debra
07-17-2013, 02:38 PM
It's what we call a crow in my neck of the woods. I don't know the difference either.

Turquoise
07-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Yep, same here Debra & Steve. Just a common old crow to me too. I really don't know if or what the difference is if any. Guess I need to expand my bird knowledge & research things like that more often. Where is Shelly when we need her. She could tell us, Ravens are one of her favorite 'other' birds.:th_biggrin:

I do know I rarely see crows out here anymore. Don't know where they all went. When I was a child living on my Grandparents farm I saw them everyday it seemed.

spiritbird
07-17-2013, 04:44 PM
I watched a nature show once a few weeks ago and they were explaining the difference between the two species. Ravens are not populated in the eastern USA and have a different bone structure (smaller) than crows. There is a difference in the calls too. Check it out!

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Debra
07-17-2013, 06:02 PM
That is so cool! Learned something new today. Thanks for posting that.

coltfire
07-18-2013, 12:25 AM
thank you for posting that, now i know the difference, and now i know we dont have ravens here in Australia

Blancaej
07-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Wow! Thank goodness they helped out that poor little guy. Thanks for sharing!