PDA

View Full Version : Beans and sprouts?

JadeC
07-15-2013, 03:59 AM
So, my beans sprouted and I know you aren't supposed to feed the big beans to birds without cooking them. My question is, if I cook them, can I still feed since they sprouted?? Thanks in advance! Trying my hand at a chop mix haha

Turquoise
07-24-2013, 08:46 AM
I don't think sprouted beans are bad for them. I see in the bird books about giving them sprouted beans as the fresh growth is very nutritious. not sure if there are some that would not be good as in type of bean. I haven't read anything about it that I can remember.

I missed this when you first posted it. Did you go ahead & use your sprouted beans? Did you find the answer on if they are ok to use? I'm sure the info could be helpful to all of us since no one else gave you an answer.

Turquoise
07-24-2013, 08:59 AM
OK Jade, I just looked it up in my book called "The Healthy Bird Cookbook" It says to be sure the seeds & beans are untreated, of course, and not to use ones sold for planting as they are treated with an antifungal agent that can make birds very sick or die. It says all types of beans can be used and it goes on to tell what to do to sprout them. It says to rinse them with cold water before feeding them to your birds and store the sprouts in the refrigerator.

So as I thought I had read, bean sprouts are safe to feed our parrots. :th_biggrin:

Honesty
07-24-2013, 09:27 AM
I have never tried sprouting! I must give it a go:)

Debra
07-24-2013, 12:19 PM
I've tried sprouting and the birds gave me the funniest look. Then they ate around them. They never touched them so I gave up sprouting.

spiritbird
07-24-2013, 12:45 PM
I feed my little ones fresh sprouts and usually chop them and mix with a tiny bit of millet seed to attract them. Gypsy eats them but Chipper passes them on to her.

JadeC
07-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Actually, the larger beans are NOT safe for our birds!! I did not use the beans in the mix. Only lentils, mung beans and peas are safe to sprout for birds. If you're looking into sprouting, I used sunflower seeds, lentils, pumpkin seeds and mung beans. He loved them!! Yeah, the bigger beans are not safe to use as sprouting. Something with them needing to be cooked. Anyway, I have an email from my breeder from a blog about sprouting: how to and making your own sprouting jars. :) Thanks everyone!!

Honesty
07-24-2013, 02:57 PM
You will have to share this info with us Jade :)

ConureGuy
07-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Some interesting info there thanks. :)

JadeC
07-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Here's a good link on sprouting..

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I didn't see anywhere where she said none of the bigger beans, but my breeder says that if you aren't careful with the big beans that it could kill your bird, so she doesn't sprout those just in case. I'm gonna stick with the smaller seeds and beans/lentils. Haha

Here's what she says, "Beans that are safe to sprout and feed for birds are
Mung beans, green lentils, whole dried green peas (if you can find them), and adzuki beans. Garbanzo beans (chick peas) are also
good to sprout, but can spoil easily, so you have to keep a close eye when sprouting those."

JadeC
07-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Oh, in the article, she does mention not sprouting the larger beans.

Here's a quote:

"NOTE: Many people have fed all of the beans in their sprouted form without problem. However, large raw beans such as Anasazi, Black, Fava, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto, and Soy can cause problems of toxicity and digestive upsets for people and perhaps for birds. Except for soy sprouts (edible raw if grown long enough), these beans should be cooked to be digestible and are not recommended for general sprouting purposes. Soy sprouts, however, are high in isoflavones, SOD (superoxide dismutase), a very powerful and important antioxidant with essential fatty acids and lecithin."

coltfire
07-25-2013, 02:07 PM
thanks for that jade

Lady
05-20-2015, 04:02 AM
Oh this is something I was looking for and also found a few good sites in case anyone else finds themselves here.

Mare
05-22-2015, 10:10 PM
I visited a place in San Diego area a while back called Optimum Health Institute (OHI). I stayed for two weeks, with a friend of mine, and it was pretty much..TORTURE! I say that with a smile on my face :). It was two weeks of juicing, fasting, wheat grass juice, enamas, raw diet and classes. It was a total detox of your body toxins. I came out feeling and looking, at least.!..ten years younger, it was such an education.

One small thing I learned while there...when you sprout a seed/bean..it becomes a "complete" protein. Sprouting beans or seeds, depending on their size and density, take only a few days and I would think are healthy for our birds but now I'm not sure after reading this last post :(

Lady
05-23-2015, 03:25 AM
Wow that must of been difficult Mare. I do like to eat well but I don't know if I could of gone through what you described! The end result had to be clear in my mind to go that far. Looking and feeling ten years younger sure sounds very motivating.
I was researching about sprouting because I keep trying to see if Lady would try something new and healthy. I would also like to be able to do it year round. Every spring and summer we have more fresh produce to choose from but when winter arrives the produce doesn't taste the same.
I sprouted a handful of beans from a bag called 15 bean soup mix as a trial. They sprouted just fine, I could actually plant them! Amazingly enough as that was to me I was unsure if they were safe to eat so....I put them out for the wild birds and squirrels. They were no where to be found the next morning. I am now trying to sprout some of her seed mix b/c I know it's safe for her to eat. Now if she eats it is another story.

Mare
05-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Birds can be picky/are picky about food, no doubt. All I can recommend is keep trying a variety of stuff. I hope Lady comes around but I'm gonna tell you about Amigo. He eats well when he wants and he doesn't eat so well when he doesn't want. His weight is always good when I take him for his checks but that always amazes me! I always think he should be eating MORE! Anyways, birds are weird.. :)

Mare
05-23-2015, 06:18 AM
If you can sprout it, I think it will be ok to eat in that form. Unless it's a poisonous plant, I have a difficult time reasoning why not..