PDA

View Full Version : Scratching

Luthien
07-12-2013, 08:20 PM
So I have one issue with my Scarlet Macaw, he scratches me!

I keep his talons trimmed down as far as I can and I know he doesn't do it on purpose but when he's riding around on my arm his talons do dig in and scratch my arms and it hurts after awhile. Anyone else have this problem? If so what do you do about it?

I've been searching around for an arm guard of some sort but I can't seem to find any, the one I have is only 9 inches long and doesn't cover the part of my arm Phoenix likes to sit on (Just below and above my elbow)

kendrafitz
07-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I use a sand perch for Rosie, my GW. It keeps her nails blunt and I haven't gotten a scratch from her since she was a baby. I think it may help with their beak as well, but I can't swear to it. Someone else may know for certain about that. :)

Luthien
07-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Cool I will try a sand perch for him then! Sometimes when he gets excited and digs in a bit more he will draw blood from my arm so I'm just looking for a solution

kendrafitz
07-12-2013, 09:12 PM
I believe it. Those talons can be SHARP! I remember how marked up my arms were when Rosie was a baby. :th_shocking:

gemini_84
07-12-2013, 09:34 PM
i was having that same problem from my alex's nail. i constantly looked like i had gone 10 rounds with a wild cat. Arms, legs, neck shoukders etc. My vet has reccomended that i use oversized natural branches with bark to help keep their nails down and blunt instead of getting him to trim them. Recently i was given some bottle brush branches and put one the full length of the cage (highway perch). Since then their nails are much nicer not to mention it keeps them occupied. i understand you will need larger branches for your macaw then i do for my alexs tho.

this is a pic of bruno sitting happily on his new perch, it will give you an idea of the size.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Blancaej
07-12-2013, 09:40 PM
I've been wanting to ask this question myself! My arms have scratches all over them. I put a cement perch in her cage, but she won't get on it. She is an all natural girl. Doesn't like colored toys, either! LOL! I do have some great branches with bark on them on her play gym. Maybe that will help. what would be the best way to take care of the current scratches. Anyone use any type of cream to help with that?

gemini_84
07-12-2013, 09:48 PM
i just left mine to heal and used a bit of aloe vera to try prevent scarring

plax
07-12-2013, 10:40 PM
My arm scratches heal fairly quickly... that is, when Zaf doesn't persist to pull off the scab crust forming on them (which he often does).

As for preventing arm scratches, I use the pedicure perches (for everyone except Zaf - he's terrified of colored objects too) as well as regular nail tip snips. You can also always wear heavy sweatshirts when you're toting him around on your arm.

Luthien
07-12-2013, 11:09 PM
I usually just wear a sweater in the winter when it's cold out but in the summer when I like to wear halter tops I need something to protect my arms. I do have an arm guard that works well (if he stays on it) but my issue with it is Phoenix likes to sit higher up on my arm close to my body (around the elbow) and my arm guard doesn't go that high *sigh*

Turquoise
07-13-2013, 02:32 AM
I get the 'look like I've been in a fight' with a wild cat also. My big kids nails grow fast! Mine won'tuse the pedi pperches since I use natural branches in their enclosures.

I do use branches with bark & so far it has done nothing to lessen the sharpness of their nails. I think I need some of your bottle brush Amanda. My Mesquite limbs has rough bark & they love to strip it off, but it hasn't helped the nails.

So far I just nip the tips off & use an Emory board to smooth them. Everyone accepts it fairly well except Roscoe. He fights me like a mountain lion, then he wants me to cuddle him as he stares at the offending towel. He hasn't figured out I am the one who put the towel over his wings yet. I would nip them without the towel, but he won't stay still for it.

Luthien
07-13-2013, 10:38 PM
I wish I could file Phoenix's talons down but he hates when I do that. Nipping the tips off them with a dogs nail trimmers he will tolerate now and then but don't try and touch with an Emory board