PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Phoenix and Me

Luthien
07-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Hey everyone!

Just thought I would drop by and say hello from me and my feathery friend Phoenix. I've already given a little history on here about us but just in case you haven't seen my first post I'll tell it again :th_biggrin:

So Phoenix was a rescue, he's a Scarlet Macaw and is now a year old. He was 5 months old when I got him and had everything wrong with him! His old owners (a husband, wife and 2 kids) were physically and mentally abusive to him, they weren't feeding him right (still being hand fed of course), he had no out of cage time, his cage was WAY to small and they would let their kids poke him with sticks and just torment him from the outside of the cage.

Needless to say the humane society stepped in and took him away, that's where I found him. I work with the humane society for horse training and when I was there to pick up a mare I heard Phoenix screaming from inside the building. They took me in to see him and it was love at first sight! Well to cut the story slightly shorter Phoenix came home to me 3 days later. I've been working on gaining his trust and things have been going well, he's still slightly thin but that is also because I'm trying to wean him off of the formula now.

Things have been going really well and we're learning together day by day. It's wonderful to be part of a community like this to answer questions and share experiences with other bird owners!

ShellyBorg
07-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Thank you for taking him in! Welcome!

Honesty
07-12-2013, 07:11 AM
Hello Luthien and :pp_welcome:Thank you for joining us:)

Phoenix is beautiful.

Debra
07-12-2013, 01:04 PM
He's beautiful! Thank you for taking him in and giving him the life he deserves. I'm sure with time, you'll gain his trust. I will look forward to hearing about your progress with him.

Turquoise
07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi Luthien & Phoenix.:th_greet13: he has grown a good bit since I last saw his photos. I am glad to hear he is doing so well & is a wonderful bird despite his rough start in life.

I look forward to hearing more as Phoenix matures & seeing lots more photos.:th_biggrin:

spiritbird
07-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks for joining our sweet forum. I too look forward to more of your bird adventures.

kendrafitz
07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Hello and welcome! He is so lucky you came into his life! He looks happy and sweet. And of course he is gorgeous!!!

plax
07-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Welcome to our community, Luthien and Phoenix!

Maddy
07-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Welcome! Phoenix is gorgeous!

Luthien
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Thank you everyone!

Yes he has grown A LOT since I first got him, he still has some baby fluff and is constantly getting new feathers so the shaves are driving him crazy but he seems to grow every day! His wing feathers are really sparse right now just because we went through a time where he decided to bite off his feathers, I think it was stress from starting to wean him off the formula. He's stopped now and so the feathers have to grow back again.

josiesmom
07-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Wow, he is so handsome and he looks really happy with you. Good thing you found him. :-)

Blancaej
07-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Welcome Luthien and thank you for giving this little sweetie a home. Sounds like things are going great!

Mare
07-13-2013, 02:36 AM
Welcome, Luthien and Phoenix! I'm happy you found Phoenix, sounds like he was looking for YOU! Hope all goes well. :)

Luthien
07-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Things are going really well! He's accepting me and trusting me more and more every day. I've just about cured his "biting" habits and he's stopping the screaming for attention now as well. He used to scream all the time but I know he just wanted someone to love him :th_heart:

jules
07-28-2013, 12:47 PM
hi luthien and phoenix, he is such a beauty, how could anyone have treated him like this? good one that the humane society and you stepped in. is Canada really strict when it comes to animals? i know of someone in Switzerland has two greys and there are strict guidelines for keeping birds etc. you have to have two of them and there is a minimum cage size requirement. i wish in a way it was like that here in the uk, i would make people think twice (i hope anyway) :)

Luthien
07-30-2013, 02:17 AM
No there is no guideline at all for these birds. People can have them in whatever size of cage they want and treat them however they want. The only reason that Phoenix was saved by the humane society was because the neighbor reported a mistreated dog so they went in to investigate and found Phoenix as well, so both the dog and bird were taken.

ConureGuy
07-30-2013, 03:47 AM
Well in my opinion and more than likely all the other members opinions yes people can have them in whatever size cage they want which to me should be illegal and anyone caught with a bird in a cage which does not match the standards of that bird should be prosecuted without question and no people shouldn't be aloud to treat them however they please the miss treating of any animal should be taken more seriously i love animals no matter what species parrots, dogs, rabbits etc sadly yes birds are miss treated i.e starved with no food or water the cage is to small they have no toys or interaction and worst there beaten to the point where the injury is there for life or worse there beaten to death.

I own 5 dogs 2 rabbits and 2 parrots with a 3rd parrot on the way soon all my animals are well fed and watered, clean and interacted with all the time this is just what i think but anyone who miss treats a animal of any kind should be shot for it.

Now that i'm done ranting on welcome to the fourms. :D

Luthien
08-01-2013, 03:11 AM
I completely agree with you Birdmad! I have several pets of my own including dogs, cat, birds, reptiles, horses and they all have their special time of the day where they have my attention. I feel they all need it and when I can't give it they have a decently sized area to be in with lots of things to do.