PDA

View Full Version : A couple of my slithering friends.

Turquoise
07-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Well some of you won't care for these photos since they are of my snakes. They are a part of my life & I felt they should get to be on the forum also.
This will be just 2 of the 6 snakes I own. I took them outside for the photos to get better coloring. By the time it was cool enough to go out, the sun went down. I will try to get photos of the other 4 sometime today.

The first 4 photos will be of my common old Colombian boa constrictor, Arrielle. Some people call them red tail boa constrictors, but she is not a true red tail. They are from other localities in South America and have more pronounced saddles with a bright to deep red on the tail saddles. She is 5 1/2 yrs old and almost 7ft long. She is a very sweet girl with a really calm personality. She was the first large snake I ever owned. I had small snakes in the years past.

I did have 34 snakes before I decided to keep parrots again, I sold all but the 6 I have now. I had lots of different species including retics & burms, but I did not have a separate room to lock them in to keep my birds safe. I needed the room for the bird's stuff anyway. The photos where I am holding her I had to take myself. Hubby was asleep so I set the camera on my cup & used it on the touch screen setting. The ones I took of Chan'Tell that way were too blurry to use.

The smaller snake in the last photo is my sunglow cornsnake Chan'Tell. She is 3 yrs. old and a sweetheart as well. When I first got her she was about 12" long, as thin as my little finger & the prettiest lilac & rose color. As she matured, she turned into a a beautiful orange sunglow color.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

coltfire
07-10-2013, 02:03 PM
well not all of us, i love them they are so beautiful, what is the red one is that a red corn snake . here are the two i have atm10121013 here is a link to a couple others and some enclosures i made and painted [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] il have to go through some saved disc to find my snakes i used to have, the best looking ones i had where my Black Headed Pythons

Rescued
07-10-2013, 03:16 PM
They are all beautiful. I used to have a corn snake, she was beautiful. Do you not worry about the birds though? I think I would be a wreck. I am amazed by all the variety that snakes have all over the world, I think that my favorite is the Green tree boa, they are stunningly beautiful.

spiritbird
07-10-2013, 03:25 PM
What makes a snake a sweetheart? I have always thought snakes pretty with their different patterns. Better you than me girl

coltfire
07-10-2013, 10:40 PM
they give cuddles, my big male is more of a puppy dog, he comes up for pats and if i put the bean bag in front of the tv ,he climbs in and puts head up and watches tv, but will not go into the bean bag unless it is in front of tv

Turquoise
07-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Steve your carpets are gorgeous! They remind me of my small one I had. He was a sweet snake, never nippy from the beginning as some report theirs to be here in the states. I also had a larger darker patterned one I was given by a friend's son. he was a little over 8 ft and around 10 yrs old. He was not a sweet as my boy, he would bite at first, then settle down to being held after a few mins. You asked me earlier what was my oldest snake and I told you Arrielle here was. I had forgotten I did have a ball python the same friend's son gave me that was supposed to be 26 yrs old. She was a very nice snake & I almost kept her, but I did let her go with the rest of them.

The orange/red snake is a cornsnake. Funny thing is I bought her from the PetsMart I have available in my area. She was sold as an amelenistic and was the prettiest lilac & rose color as a 12" baby. She cost $49.99 and the normal Okeetees were selling for $69.99. As she grew & I looked through cornsnake books I found she is a sunglow and probably from the blood cornsnake line. Since I didn't get her from a breeder who could tell me what her line is, I can only make a guess here.

Dianne, some snakes do have a personality you can feel & see. My largest retic, my sunfire (reticulated python) I had would put his head on my shoulder and stare lovingly at me, sometimes watching what I was doing. When I took him outside in the grass I could walk with him as he moved about. He would raise up to see where he was going then lay flat to move along, he would come to me when we were outside. I do so miss him & the others, but he would have been a danger to my birds.

Elizabeth, I don't worry about these I have left & my birds. All are in safe enclosures with locking tops and none of these are prone to eating birds like the retics can & will. 4 of these will never reach a size larger that 6ft and the 2 boas will top out most likely at 8ft. No giant snakes in my future anymore as much as I did love the ones I had.

coltfire
07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
as for my snakes im not worried one bit, they dont go for them and the best thing about a snake is if it ids not hungry it will not kill, that is why it is illegal to feed live pray to them here in Australia not sure about any where else, but if you put a rat or mouse in with a snake that is not hungry that rat or mouse will kill the snake, they see the snake as danger and just do what they need to do to stay alive but unless the snake is hungry it will not kill, not a very nice sight, can be found on Google not that you really want to see it. and my snakes are well feed so there for i dont need to worry about the birds, the birds well lexxy and maxx used to stir the crap out of those two snakes

Blancaej
07-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Beautiful snakes. I never thought of a snake as a cuddler. Interesting!

plax
07-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Your photos make me miss mine. One of my Retics was also very sweet natured, as was my Burmese. My largest Retic wasn't so sweet. Although I really like snakes I've made a commitment to myself and my birds not to acquire any more of them.

Pretty snakes, De'Andrea :)