PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies

Debra
07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
What is it that you enjoy doing when you aren't working or taking care of your birds? I have just started canning and preserving this year, but my main hobby is cross stitch. I take mine with me when I go on long trips, take it to the laundromat, take it anywhere that I will be sitting for a while and can pull it out. Here are a couple pieces of my work.

This is my "grand cat" that is owned by my future son-in-law. Her name is Precious.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

This is Mickey. She was the only documented bird with cushings disease.

My Frankie.

Bo and Judy that belong to a friend of mine.

I've done heaps more, but this is a sampling. Now, what do you all do?

spiritbird
07-08-2013, 04:03 PM
They are lovely. Did you draw the pattern yourself before stitching? I used to make pretty jewelry but gave that up because it was too costly. Now I am looking forward to the Photoshop learning. I also bought a book on tree identification since there are so many around here. It is fun. Also bird watching outside. We have many species here such as Eastern Bluebirds and just about every woodpecker you could imagine. More species of course.

Rescued
07-08-2013, 07:53 PM
You do beautiful work, I knit a lot, sculpt, and just started my business in handmade jewelry995996997998.

Honesty
07-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Those are fantastic Debra. They must have taken you hours?

You know my hobby is gardening, which you have seen pics of, plus I like flower arranging :)

Honesty
07-08-2013, 08:00 PM
You do beautiful work, I knit a lot, sculpt, and just started my business in handmade jewelry995996997998.

You have some lovely things there Elizabeth :)

Debra
07-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Elizabeth those are beautiful!!

Wendy -- it takes months to finish one piece! That's a lot of hours. I pushed myself hard to get my grand-cats done in time for his birthday. I was given the picture just a month before. My hubby bought me a computer program that takes a picture and turns it into a pattern.

Honesty
07-08-2013, 08:32 PM
You must have alot of patience Debra:)

coltfire
07-08-2013, 08:34 PM
they are so nice , my partner does cross stitching, as for my hobbies when i can sit down for half hour to write ill put them up lol

ShellyBorg
07-08-2013, 09:40 PM
I do stained glass, jewelry making, crochet, wood working, hiking, goat packing, and anything else that sounds fun.

JadeC
07-08-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm with ShellyBorg, I do anything that sounds fun!!! Haha I love hiking, snowboarding, reading, playing tennis, knitting, sewing, and swimming!! Those are just what I can think of right now. I do anything. Haha

Rescued
07-08-2013, 09:54 PM
I really wish I could sew, I can do basic hand stitching, but thats it. One day I'll make the investment and buy a machine and take some lessons.

coltfire
07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
ok here goes, hobbies include, birds,snakes, guitar, song writing, cutting opals and other gem stones, making glass beads and figures, air brushing, prospecting for gem stones. bush walking bird watching,'that will do for now. and i forgot about drawing

gemini_84
07-08-2013, 10:19 PM
without my birds my lufe is pretty boring, apart from making toys and caring for them i do enjoy doung nail art and its not out of the ordinary for me do my nails atleast once a day. I have over 50 different nail polishes that grows everytime i see a colour i like. I never do my nails around the birds, they are done in my sunroom inwhich the birds do not have access to. here are a few pics of some of the work i have done on my own nails. Maybe oneday ill do my qualifications andcstart my own business.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
i had a little trouble tieing my laces:th_loltears:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Debra
07-08-2013, 10:27 PM
That's awesome Amanda! I wish I were talented enough for that.

coltfire
07-08-2013, 10:37 PM
im glad only 5 pics at a time i have so many of her nails on my phone, and some days she will do them twice lol

gemini_84
07-08-2013, 10:44 PM
thanks debra, although i do wish i had the confidence in myself that every one else does.

im glad only 5 pics at a time i have so many of her nails on my phone, and some days she will do them twice lol

:th_loltears: dad. it had nothing to do with the limitations of allowed pics, but purely my impatience to go through my photobucket account to find all my nail pics... these were just the ones on the first 4 pages and i do believe #2 3 4 were all done in the matter of hours

Blancaej
07-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Wow! Lots of beautiful talents!

I like scrapbooking, candy making (its my job but a hobby too as I love to try new things), my birds, photography, and travel. I'm thinking about getting into bird watching. A lot of bird watchers come in our area because we have a nice variety here.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ShellyBorg
07-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Here is a pic of a Panel I made as a fund raiser for my local bird club.

Rescued
07-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Shelly, you have a lot of talent, beautiful details.

Mare
07-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Beautiful artwork, all!! To me, hobbies are pleasure and hobbies that you enjoy, most likely, equal art! I like to crochet doilies, yeah, old-fashioned but enjoyable to me. I'll pull a few off the tables and post them soon! :)

Pinkbirdy
07-09-2013, 01:58 AM
WOW WOW WOW I don't know where to start!! Debra ,I just love the Bluefronts :) Elizabeth that is really impressive [do you do shows?].Amanda [is that what you do for work?] Shelly when do you find the time :) Steve its neat you make glass beads.

Rescued
07-09-2013, 02:21 AM
I actually have an online business, you can see my other work at [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
I love to make all sorts of things and an so happy to get to share it!

gemini_84
07-09-2013, 02:24 AM
no terri, not yet atleast. for now it is just something i do to pass time. i only do my nails at the moment (i have no girl friends), but alot of people tell me to start my own business, but i lack the confidence in myself. one day ill do my nail tech course and start

Pinkbirdy
07-09-2013, 02:46 AM
no terri, not yet atleast. for now it is just something i do to pass time. i only do my nails at the moment (i have no girl friends), but alot of people tell me to start my own business, but i lack the confidence in myself. one day ill do my nail tech course and start You should ,nice side money [Im in this type of business]

JadeC
07-09-2013, 02:57 AM
Sewing is really fun :) I make quilts and beds for my dog and cat and blankets and shirts and all sorts of stuff.

Everybody is so talented!!! Wow! Beautiful nails, I love it!

Turquoise
07-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Lots of talented friends here! Beautiful items ya'll all make!!:th_biggrin:

I have run the gambit of crafts & hobbies in my long life. I used to cross stitch & still have kits I have never started. When I did them, I would change colors add things & anything I could do to make it my picture rather than the bought pattern. I had one of those programs Debra has before my flood. The disk didn't make it through all the chemicals floating around in my home for 11 days. And of course the computer it was downloaded on didn't make it! I don't cross stitch anymore since I can't see the small stuff as well & glasses drive my eyes nuts.

I guess I will just go through all the things I have done & still do since it is a long list. Cross stitch, needle point, crocheting mostly afghans, knitting mostly shawls, tapestry weaving, Native American style bead work like loom beaded, but this is my hand sewn like a piece of material style I created way back first in the mid 70s & perfected in the 90s. Oil & acrylic painting, woodworking/wood burning, guitar playing.

Most of these hobbies I don't do any more or haven't in a long time. I still crochet & knit in winter time. Too hot to hold heavy thread in my lap here in the summer. I still attempt to weave rugs, but have not mastered it yet & my homemade looms are a bit displaced til I finish remodeling & move things around. I do have a portable store bought loom & a spinning wheel which I found I have no talent for. I don't think I have any Amish ancestors in my line. I guess that is all I can think of for now & I will find photos to back up some of the things I mentioned hopefully tomorrow & post them.

Turquoise
07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
I have a few photos of the hobbies I have done in in the past & still do. The first ones will be a little of my cross stitch work & some of my recent crocheting & knitting projects.

This is some cross stitch I did on my coat while I rode all over the US
in my hubby's truck.

A partial finished crocheted afghan I am making for one of my friend's dogs.

A finished crocheted afghan I made for the same friend's other dog.

Two halves of a knitted purse I haven't finished yet.

The same knitted purse with both pieces together. Still not finished.

Turquoise
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
These are photos of the handmade bead work I used to do years ago. These photos went through our flood & amazingly didn't get destroyed. These look like they are done on a loom, but I made them by sewing the beads together with a very thin needle & wax thread. My style is not sewn one bead at a time, rather you take up the whole line & sew 2 down at a time til you get to the end. It is like material and can be cut anywhere in the pattern without losing the beads as long as you run a line of thread through the last row of beads.

Turquoise
07-10-2013, 12:09 PM
A few more photos of some of the hobbies I do on occasion.

I didn't make the box, hubby did. I drew & painted the inlay macaw.

A porcupine quill necklace, earrings & bracelet I made years ago.
It has not held up very well being jostled around.

I didn't make the buffalo skull, just the beadwork necklace part.

My son gave me the unicorn when he was still in Jr. High, my
daughter-n-law gave me the polar bear fetish. I made the beaded part.

Just a necklace I made for a Halloween party I went to a few yrs ago.

Debra
07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Wow! Those are all great! You are very talented. Thanks for sharing.

gemini_84
07-10-2013, 10:39 PM
:glitter-omg-emotico de'andrea they are amazing. i just love the jewellery. you have so much talent

coltfire
07-10-2013, 11:44 PM
De'Andrea, they are amazing, i love all things Indian as that is my back ground on my mothers side.

Blancaej
07-11-2013, 02:01 AM
De' - Your work is gorgeous!

Everyone here is so talented with all these great hobbies.

My absolute favorite hobby is photography. My favorite subject are my kids and the fall in VT! I finally dug out some photos of my favorite photo shoot I've done with my kids and I've taken in the fall.

This is a photo shoot I did when my son was just a few months old. It is one of my favorite photo shoots I've done of them yet. If I can get him to sit still long enough, I hope to do another one during the summer!

Blancaej
07-11-2013, 02:04 AM
Here are some fall photos I've taken the last couple of years. I used to have a lot more time for photography before getting married and having kids. If I ever get my older fall photos digitized (they were taken the old fashioned way, on film! LOL) I will share them with you. I used to sell my photos years ago!

Turquoise
07-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Blanca those photos are beautiful!! Your kids are so adorable & beautiful as well.:th_hug8: I wished I knew how to really use my camera. One day I will look into a class I can take.

I agree everyone here has so much talent and ya'll do excellent work . I love seeing all we do & enjoy besides our feathered families.:th_biggrin:

I never really did much with my abilities. I sold a few items years ago mainly cause a family member had a friend who wanted something. This area I live in is not a tourist attraction & locals will not buy much handmade offered. I always took much more pleasure out of making something for someone as a gift they weren't expecting. When I put a price tag on it & had to make it, I felt like it was work & not a hobby. I work for a living for someone else. My natural talent is mine & I just like making things & keeping my hands busy.

Blancaej
07-11-2013, 11:58 AM
I totally agree De'! Sometimes when hobbies stop being just hobbies its not as fun anymore! I've done a few weddings for friends. I enjoyed it. The people I've done that for wouldn't have normally been able to afford a photographer. So it makes me feel like my talents were put to good use. :)

Debra
07-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Blanca! Those are wonderful pics! You certainly are talented with your camera.

Blancaej
07-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks Debra! I capture the world as I see it. :)
But what you do with cross stitch is amazing Debra!:D

crazyanimal
07-13-2013, 11:43 PM
I am a candlepin bowler. I do that during the fall and winter months and then I ride my Harley Davidson in the summer.

I also enjoy reading, writing poetry and cross stitch when I am not doing those things or making toys for customers. :)

Debra
07-13-2013, 11:52 PM
This board has a lot of very talented people on it! I'm very impressed with all of you. Thank you for sharing this part of your lives with us.

Turquoise
07-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Here is a link to a very interesting artwork. I could never do anything like this, I just thought I'd post it here for all of us crafty folks. Maybe someone just might like to try their hands at this one day.:th_biggrin:

Debra
07-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Wow! That is amazing!

Mare
07-18-2013, 07:02 PM
De'Andrea, your art is amazing! Beading was something I always wished I had taken up, my eyes couldn't handle it now :(
Here are a few doilies I've made, mostly I give them away as gifts, too :)

coltfire
07-18-2013, 11:05 PM
very nice work mare

Turquoise
07-19-2013, 01:30 AM
Thank you Mare. I can't see the tiny beads anymore well enough to work with it either. And reading glasses just drives my vertigo nuts. Some of those were made with 14,16, & 18 size seed beads.

I love your doilies Mare. :th_heart:They remind me of the ones my Mom used to make when she was still alive.:th_hug8: The pineapple motif was her absolute favorite and she used it in a kinds of crochet. Her other favorite was the pinwheel, both of which you have here. :th_biggrin:

Blancaej
07-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Very nice Mare! :th_biggrin:

Mare
07-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Thank you! What I'm thinking of doing with them is to make a vest, piecing them together, making tiny ones to fill in the spaces. If would be kind of funky but original. I'm really not a doily kind of person as far as home decorating with them so I try and think of other ways to use them :)

Rescued
07-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Mare, I can't handle doilies in the house either, lol. I am sure that their are lace patterns for garments out their to try your hand, I did my first lace pattern in knitting last year and really liked it. I'm not really a lace person, I've always done cabling and other intricate patterns instead, but your work is really lovely.

Debra
07-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Mare -- those are beautiful! You are very talented.

ConureGuy
07-22-2013, 03:14 AM
This is my hobbie but it's more of a passion for me :)

Turquoise
07-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Nice looking setup you have there Paul. I don't know anything about that kind of stuff, but it looks impressive.:th_biggrin:

ConureGuy
07-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Nice looking setup you have there Paul. I don't know anything about that kind of stuff, but it looks impressive.:th_biggrin:

Thanks De'Andrea the turntables are only temp until my new ones arrive in the next few weeks.

ConureGuy
07-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Thought i'd bring this one back up you seen my turntables now i thought it was time for you's to hear me play this is live from last night at an event in durham it's only short as my mate who recorded it done so without the owner knowing so he ended up getting kicked out LOL anyways hope you enjoy. :)

Turquoise
07-27-2013, 01:22 AM
I can't get your link to work. It keeps telling me "Sorry we can't find that sound." "Did you try to access a private link?" "Maybe you should log in."

ConureGuy
07-27-2013, 02:54 AM
I can't get your link to work. It keeps telling me "Sorry we can't find that sound." "Did you try to access a private link?" "Maybe you should log in."

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] That should work now the privacy settings are set to private so you need the secret link.

Turquoise
07-27-2013, 03:57 AM
That worked, I like it! It's freakin' awesome! Not the kind of music I usually listen to, but I do like all kinds.:th_biggrin:

ConureGuy
07-27-2013, 04:10 AM
I do enjoy mixing club tunes like example, sweedish house mafia etc i'm playing at a club tonight and will be recording the whole set so i'll be sure to put it up for you to listen to. :)