PDA

View Full Version : not being super cuddly?

mrgoogls
07-07-2013, 01:23 AM
hey guys. by now a lot of you know that I have a Quaker named cooper. he is a GREAT bird. usually super nice. doesn't bite unless my arm is in his cage, or he didn't get enough sleep and hasn't had his nap. haha. but from being on this forum and another one or 2, it seems a lot of peoples birds are super sweet and cuddly all the time. and never want to leave the people's side. but cooper isn't really like that. he is very content when he is in his cage. usually messing around with his toys. and on his play gym he usually sits and looks out the windows.(he never uses his toys on the play gym for some reason) and even when I bring him over onto my bed or the chair, he usually just runs in circles, freaked out, because he is on a lower point and not up high. so is it just cooper's personality and he is a very independent bird? is it something im doing or the way im taking care of him? or is it just something of a bond that forms over a long time, but iv had cooper for about 9 months give or take a few weeks.

Blancaej
07-07-2013, 01:30 AM
I think it's most likely his personality and he likes his independence. Just like people, birds come in all kinds of shapes, sizes and personalities. Some birds are just not real touchy feely and are content to hang out and watch from a distance. You haven't had him all that long and he may warm up to you more at some point, but he may not. Quincy, my grey, has never been one to cuddle. He doesn't particularly like to be touched and handled a lot. He likes a good head scratch now and then but on his terms only. LOL! But he is just happy being near me. He will sit on the arm chair or on my knee but is not one to cuddle up to me.

If I recall, when I had my Quaker over 14 years ago, he was not a cuddler either. But I know that not all Quakers are like that. Good luck and just continue doing the great job you are doing!

mrgoogls
07-07-2013, 01:35 AM
thanks! I kinda figured it was just his personality. I don't really mind. as long as he is happy, I am too. I don't need him on me at all times to be happy, him shredding his new toys puts a smile on my face :D maybe he will open up a bit more in the future. cooper is very "on his terms only" for scratches to. he tolerates them whenever, but only really wants them once in a while.

Blancaej
07-07-2013, 01:58 AM
He sounds so much like Quincy! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pinkbirdy
07-07-2013, 02:10 AM
I notice my birds have moods too ,and I feel its best just to go with :).

ShellyBorg
07-07-2013, 03:30 AM
My quaker Widget is not supper cuddly. There are even days she say "no" to out of the cage time.

mrgoogls
07-07-2013, 03:47 AM
shelly, sometimes cooper does that too, he will just sit and stare at me like " what do you want?!", or "what are you looking at". and sometimes like I said, if he doesn't get enough sleep or sometimes and is grumpy its "get out of my cage before I rip your face off". haha

JadeC
07-07-2013, 04:06 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] yeah, it just sounds like his personality. My Quaker was super cuddley as long as he wasn't in his cage. I'm not sure if that's how all Quakers are though. Cooper sounds happy though and that's all a bird could want!!!!!

Mare
07-07-2013, 05:05 AM
Holy Moly! I definitely need to expand! My cockatoos are not that way, EVER! There are many moments that I wish they were!

mrgoogls
07-07-2013, 06:03 AM
haha mare :D aren't most cockatoos known for being needy and cuddly though?

Honesty
07-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Codie isn't a cuddly bird either. He likes to be on me, but all he wants to do is either pull my hair or try to pull my rings off lol

Debra
07-07-2013, 12:40 PM
My quakers are independent and don't like to cuddle either. They are more content to be on/in their cages.

Turquoise
07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I have never owned a Quaker so i don't know about their personalities. Sounds like a trait judging by the owners on here.

My macaws are all different. Angel doesn't like to be held, but when I do he really likes to be scratched. Roscoe is almost always ready to jump on my arm any time I open his enclosure, but he is not a super cuddly bird. He does have his moments when he wants to hug against me & be loved like he was a baby again.

Ruby Jewel is way more cuddly than any of them. She still loves to get in my lap & be held, kissed & genuinely cuddles with me. She is still a baby in terms of how she acts compared to the boys at her age.

The Diva Miss Leyla Belle is NOT a cuddly bird at all!! The best I can get from her is to kiss her on her beak & sometimes that gets me a tiny nip on the nose.:th_LOL: