PDA

View Full Version : Confused about the need for tapatalk on phones.

Turquoise
07-05-2013, 09:29 AM
OK, I've been hearing about this tapatalk app for phones. Occasionally the box appears on my screen when I click to come on this forum asking if I want to download it. I tell it no.

So what I'm confused about is reading the previous threads about tapatalk being so much easier to navigate than just coming over on a web browser I guess is what ya'll mean. What's different about it is what I want to know?

I guess I should explain that when I come on here on my phone the site looks and works exactly like it does when I am on my computers. Everything is in the exact same place & all features are exactly the same. My only problem using my phone is the tiny screen & small keyboard. That's not going to change if I were to use an app for the site.

So what is different to you folks who use tapatalk on your phone than if you use the web browser in your phone? Since mine works the exact same way as my computers, I can't find s good reason to download tapatalk. Am I missing something about it you can tell me about?

Honesty
07-05-2013, 10:39 AM
I downloaded tapatalk about a month ago. I was like you De'Andrea! I could not see the point, but, It is actually much better and alot easier. It has many features. you can upload pics, insert the forum smileys, multi quote, like a post, refresh the page. It also shows you all the latest posts and threads, who's on-line. you can even edit and delete, recieve and send PM's, etc, etc. Give it a go. Once you have downloaded it you will wonder why you did not do it long ago :th_biggrin:

Blancaej
07-05-2013, 10:54 AM
I find it easy to use as well! Give it a whirl. It wouldn't hurt! ;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
07-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Alright, the best way I can explain to ya'll what I mean about this & all other forums sites looking & working exactly the same way on my phone as it does on my laptop & desktop is to show you in picture form.

Cell phone showing whose been on in 24 hrs. at bottom of homepage.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Cell phone showing top ten stats.

Cell phone showing site banner.

Laptop showing site banner.

Desktop showing site banner.

As you can see my phone shows the site exactly as it is on my laptop & my desktop. It works exactly the same way & all features are available on my phone site as it is on my computers in the exact same place found on my pcs. So, what would I be gaining by downloading an app that is going to want me to pay for what I already pay a king's ransom for with my phones & internet service I have?

In other words, what does the tapatalk do for your phone site that you don't already have available without it? Are you saying your phone site does not come up & work exactly as your home computer site does? That is the confusing part & why I can't figure out what I would benefit from it. Because if it gives me more than my computer does, is there an app for the computers to enhance them?

Mandi
07-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Basically tappatalk takes all the stuff you don't need out
Eg banners , ads etc
Makes it much easier to use
And replying is the same format as a text
So it's bigger and clearer
Pics can be posted straight from phone with a couple of clicks
Download it you won't regret x

Debra
07-05-2013, 02:28 PM
I downloaded tapatalk about a month ago. I was like you De'Andrea! I could not see the point, but, It is actually much better and alot easier. It has many features. you can upload pics, insert the forum smileys, multi quote, like a post, refresh the page. It also shows you all the latest posts and threads, who's on-line. you can even edit and delete, recieve and send PM's, etc, etc. Give it a go. Once you have downloaded it you will wonder why you did not do it long ago :th_biggrin:

You can do all that with it? Boy do I need to go exploring more on it. I don't know how to do all that stuff. Although, I will admit I'm not tech savvy. lol

Honesty
07-05-2013, 02:41 PM
You can do all that with it? Boy do I need to go exploring more on it. I don't know how to do all that stuff. Although, I will admit I'm not tech savvy. lolWhat phone do you have Debra?

Debra
07-05-2013, 02:57 PM
iPhone 4

plax
07-05-2013, 04:16 PM
De'Andrea... the Tapatalk app is free now. I received an announcement from them a few weeks ago stating this fact. Does that mean it has become full of ads? Probably - I still have an older paid version and see no ads when using it. But the app should be entirely free to download, install and use now.

Also, to add to what has been mentioned about Tapatalk functions -and to complain a bit- a feature guideline that doesn't seem clearly explained anywhere is that members posting photos should use only one of the two options for thumbnail attachments, not both. That is, they should either select "inline" for all images attached to a post (which will place the thumbnails within the message body via bbcode tags), or not select "inline" for any of the images attached to a post (which will put the thumbnails within an outlined strip at the bottom of the post that's labeled "attachments"). It actually looks very disorganized (and a bit confusing) when a member selects "inline" for some images but not for others within the same post. It's nice to have options; however I'm unsure why Tapatalk hasn't clarified this behavior better so people will understand what selecting "inline" in fact does. It makes the treads look considerably neater when the thumbnail images are all the same within each post :).

Turquoise
07-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Mandi you basically told me what I suspected about using tapatalk. It will not enhance what I already get from the forum when I log on. It will take away many of the features I love about it. I love seeing the banner pop up when I come over here. It is my "Welcome Home sign, we missed you. Hope you can stay & chat awhile." I love that it is wrapped in my favorite color, turquoise & not plain black & white. I love that it looks & works the same as it does when I am home on my computers. I love that everything that can be done on the computer site can be done with the same ease on my cell phone, therefor I find no reason I need or want it.

What you say about it taking away the banner, ads & makes it in text form to me makes it plain like my yahoo email pages come up on my phone. I don't like the way my email makes me go into the settings to folders to do anything. Meaning if I want to look at my drafts, I have to go into settings, click on folders click on drafts. Then I have to do all that again to go back. I like my pages to have it all right in front of my face & I click on what I want. I rarely use my phone for taking photos. I don't like the quality as well as my camera gives me. So I don't need it fro that & when I did, I just downloaded the photos to my computer & used them from there or sent them to a friend from my phone through email.

The only annoyance I have with my phone is that the screen is tiny & the keyboard is small. No app will ever change that for me! If I could figure out how to add a wireless track ball mouse to my phone, I would have the perfect on the go computer. I only use my phone extensively if I am on the net away from my home. Here at home I sometimes am using all the same time, my desktop & laptop will be on different sites & I check my emails with my phone. At times I have had both computers on this site answering a pm on one while I was commenting on a post on the other. That gets crazy at times, but I am trying to catch up on things I missed during my work week.

So, for me I am completely satisfied with how my forum sites work without tapatalk even if it is free now. I don't want less than what I have now. Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will stay with my full feature all included perks I have.

plax
07-05-2013, 11:10 PM
I'll just say that options are nice. Each of us has our personal preferences :)