PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Aametrii
07-04-2013, 10:50 AM
:th_greet13:
Hi all! My real name is Rae Lynn and my bird life started 27 years ago (wow...I feel old!). I started with a wonderful budgie and about 18 years ago my life with cockatoos began! I have 2 spirited girls that I have had the opportunity to wean and raise myself and then I began to get pulled into rescuing. My girls are Sweetie (18 yo) and Jaz (15 yo). They each have a story of their own. My life is NEVER dull! LOL! Dolly, my first male, came next. He's 19 yo. Next came Leon who is my 37 yo wild caught. All of these guys are U2's. At the moment I also have Sasha a female LS2 and Rocky a 40 yo B&G. Rocky is my first non-cockatoo. Rocky picked me. I am a live-in volunteer for a rescue. Before I met this rescue I would be the "go to woman" for cockatoos. LOL.
For many years now I have been taking my main 4 guys to work with classrooms, dis-abled kids, nursing homes, ect. I am in the process of having them officially certified as Therapy animals. I have not, and never will, taken any money what-so-ever for any programs or sessions my birds have done. Also each bird has a special story of their own and it would be a REALLY long post to share everything here so let me know where I should do that.
The sad part is that Leon, my 37yo U2 and main Therapy and program bird, has recently been discovered to have a bad heart. I've had to deal with stuff like that in the 'too's I have taken in over the years but this is the first time it's been one of my core group, my babies (although all the birds are my babies lol). It's only been about 3 weeks since I received the news so it's still pretty fresh.
I apologize for rambling and jumping all over the place with my topics. There has been so much that my babies and I have been through it's difficult to know where to start and which parts to share first without over-whelming everyone.
So that's a brief synopsis of our crazy life! LOL! Feel free to let me know what I should elaborate on and to ask any questions you have! Thank you so much for invited me and my babies to your forum! It's wonderful to have more bird people who understand the little things that non-bird people just don't get.
Thank you so much!
Aametrii and "family":th_greet13:

Honesty
07-04-2013, 11:04 AM
hello and welcome to the forum :)

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

Honesty
07-04-2013, 11:08 AM
this is a very interesting story and thank you for sharing it with us . We would love to see pics of your flock.

please forgive me for not being able to answer your post properly, but my internet has gone and i am doing this from my phone !

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

Blancaej
07-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Hello & welcome. That is quite the flock you have! So sorry to hear about your babies heart condition. :(

I would love to see pics of all of your flock!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Debra
07-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Welcome to the forum! Wow, you've got a 40 year old B&G. That is our oldest bird on this forum I believe. I'm sorry about the diagnosis of the heart condition. That's so hard to hear about our feathered ones. We would love to see pics of all your babies.

coltfire
07-04-2013, 12:48 PM
welcome to the forum, as all have said we all love pics, it sounds like you have a lot of stories to tell, scroll the forum and you will see the right place to tell them and im sure a lot of others will be looking forward to hearing them, also there is a thread going atm the oldest bird i think you should put your B&G in there, well enjoy the forum .

cheers
steve

Turquoise
07-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the forum Rae Lynn & flock of many! :th_hug8:

I definitely want to see photos & hear more about your feathered kids. :th_biggrin:There are several forums you can post your stories about your flock in. Just look around & you will see some that will fit the subject. I too am sorry I don't have the time to suggest which ones right now. I work nights & I just got in from work. I have 14 hungry birdies squawking at me to get off this computer & fill their bowls. :th_LOL:

spiritbird
07-04-2013, 01:41 PM
:th_welcome2: Happy you joined us and I am looking forward to hearing more stories and photos.

Mare
07-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi Rae Lynn and welcome! I'm excited to hear we have more U's aboard! I'm sorry one of your babies is not well, :(. Is a heart condition something that can be dealt with through meds? We look forward to your stories!

plax
07-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Welcome to our community, Rae Lynn! It's great that you've joined us :).

I'm very sorry to learn of Leon's heart condition. That's an unimaginably difficult thing to accept :(. I sincerely wish him the best.

A couple of places to post your stories might be the Cockatoos and Macaws sections. Feel free to place photos in those sections, too... as well as in the Photos & Videos section. We would love to see pictures of your tremendous flock and hear about your experiences :).

I admire your commitment in using your fids as therapy animals. That's truly beneficial on both sides (for your babies and for those who are able to meet them). It's so nice that you're doing this.

Please enjoy our forum site... we will look forward to hearing more about your life with your birds, and certainly to seeing their photos!