PDA

View Full Version : The Loss of a Rescued Macaw

spiritbird
07-03-2013, 09:27 PM
This video was posted today on another bird forum. It was posted with the purpose of showing bird owners what can happen when the bird's dietary needs are not met. This bird died from a seed diet which caused atherosclerosis and thus heart disease and most likely fatty liver disease. Let me warn your first it is very difficult to watch. The owner later posted 2 videos taken a week before the bird crashed and began to seize. These videos show the love that flowed between the new owner and the bird called Gracie. Comments are welcome

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
07-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Here are the other two videos:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]=21

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
07-05-2013, 08:08 PM
I see no remarks. Did anyone watch the videos? I have had trouble sleeping for a few nights because of this. They are truly difficult to watch.

Honesty
07-05-2013, 08:13 PM
I watched some of it Di. It was too upsetting to watch it all:(

Debra
07-05-2013, 08:14 PM
I watched part of the first one. It was heartbreaking to watch. I couldn't watch all of it but I am glad you posted them.

ShellyBorg
07-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Thank you for posting them. As hard as they are to watch I think any one who thinks "seeds are good enough" should have to see this.

spiritbird
07-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I am in fear that the very people that need to see the videos will not. The ones posted afterwards when Gracie was more aware were better because there was such love showed.

Blackhawk007
07-05-2013, 08:58 PM
This is very difficult to watch. I agree that it is very sad. But if that bird had to go through that, then I feel that humans need to watch it and learn from that pain. For us toobserve what she went through is nothing compared to the suffering and pain she was put through.

Though Jenna and I work very hard to make sure our little ones are fed well, this video increases my drive to do better. Because we can always do better for them. We have only had them for a short time. In that time we have learned that the happier and healthier they are, the more enjoyable it is for all of us. The most difficult part is discovering what is most appropriate for them. When that work has been done, actually applying what has been learned is quite easy. With enough work it can even be done right and cheap! Forums like this one make is very easy to discover what is right and wrong. If you're reading this then you're already off to a great start.

Please do not lock a wild animal in your home unless you're going to do the work to allow them to thrive and be happy with you there. Anything else is just selfish cruelty.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now.