PDA

View Full Version : Egg laying question

Debra
07-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Does anyone know how old a tiel is when she stops laying eggs? I have a tiel that is 11 and lays two clutches two times per year. She doesn't seem happy about it each time she lays. It seems like her mate has to nudge her into sitting on the eggs (which I replace with fake ones). I'm just curious as to when she can relax about it.

Turquoise
07-03-2013, 03:02 AM
I have no idea, sorry. I have never had laying females. Did have a couple of cockatiels in the early yrs of keeping birds.

Mare
07-13-2013, 03:06 AM
I've always wondered why some, kept in the home as pets, female species lay eggs and other species don't. Why haven't I ever seen an egg from my female Goffin's, for instance? I've know that some bird owners have problems with this, my mother-in-law had a cockatiel that would lay once in a while. Is it more prone to cockatiels?

JLcribber
07-13-2013, 05:25 AM
If they are healthy and fit they can lay eggs for almost their entire lives.

Cockatiels are know to be prolific egg layers. So much so that they are one of the species most posted about as being chronic layers (and things like egg binding).

Mare
07-13-2013, 05:49 AM
Is that the criteria for a female to lay eggs? Is it just health and fitness? I guess I was wondering why some females do and some don't. My mom-in-laws was not fed a good diet and never got out of her small cage but still laid eggs. Could it have had to do with her diet of just seed? I don't know, this is why I'm asking. John, do your female birds lay eggs? My one doesn't.

JLcribber
07-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Is that the criteria for a female to lay eggs? Is it just health and fitness? I guess I was wondering why some females do and some don't. My mom-in-laws was not fed a good diet and never got out of her small cage but still laid eggs. Could it have had to do with her diet of just seed? I don't know, this is why I'm asking. John, do your female birds lay eggs? My one doesn't.

No of course that's not the only criteria. Being comfortable and secure, abundance of food (especially protein), suitable nesting places (in the birds eye), the presence of a mate (although not required), and probably the most important, photoperiodism (dusk/dawn light schedule) are all stimuli for a hen to lay eggs. As for why some lay eggs and some don't, it's a bit of a mystery. If we remember that birds that are good layers are the ones that breeders tend to keep because they are good layers. That would mean those birds would be putting more offspring into the population who carry that same trait (but of course not all offspring would necessarily have it). That would be my guess for why your friends bird lays eggs. An all seed diet has a lot of fat in it (but not much good protein) and that's only one criteria. For birds that don't lay eggs (or very few), their bloodline would slowly disappear. So over time there's going to be more birds that are layers than aren't.

Birds have 3 priorities in live. To survive, to find food and to procreate. The strongest instinct being to procreate. Basically their whole reason for living.

Some of the hens I've had laid eggs without the presence of a mate and others did not lay eggs "with" the presence of a mate. I think it boils down to genetics?bloodlines.

spiritbird
07-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Very good input John. Thanks for you postings on this subject. I have nothing to add.

Mare
07-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks John, good info and you answered my wondering thoughts, nicely! :)