PDA

View Full Version : tough quick links.

mrgoogls
07-02-2013, 01:45 AM
hey guys. I need some sort of quick link that is harder to unscrew. cooper LOVES anything shiny or that makes noise, hence, he loves quick links haha. I have no problem with this and sometimes just put a quick link on the bars next to a perch as a toy. simple and he LOOOOOVES it. the only problem is he learned how to unscrew them. and he does it within a few minutes when he really tries. so I constantly have to rehang his toys because he unscrews them and they fall. and it gets old. is there any quick links that are harder to unscrew?

Turquoise
07-03-2013, 03:20 AM
I have no idea Kenny. I use the normal ones that my kids unscrew also. I think them unscrewing the link is part of the pleasure they get out of the toy itself.:th_biggrin:

I really don't think they have made a link that a parrot can't figure out how to open except one that is welded shut. And depending on the size of the bird, that could be taken apart pretty easily too. :th_LOL:

plax
07-03-2013, 03:44 AM
Hi Kenny... you might consider using an open-end hex wrench or a small crescent wrench to tighten some of the better quality stainless steel quick links to a point that your birds can't loosen them. The sleeve nut on many quick links is hexagonal for that very purpose. With a wrench of the correct size you can actually twist down the sleeve nuts on the larger quick links so tightly that it becomes difficult to break them free using the same wrench.

mrgoogls
07-07-2013, 01:32 AM
thanks. I will try to use a wrench. I only have a million of them:D one has to be a good size! and I don't mind him unscrewing them. mostly just with his skewer, because that is a lot of his food and nearly all of his fresh food. so if he does it while im at school he eats a lot less fresh food so I need that to stop....

Blancaej
07-07-2013, 01:34 AM
I think using a wrench to tighten them is the best advice. I too agree that they haven't invented a quick link a parrot can't unscrew yet. LOL!

plax
07-07-2013, 04:04 AM
There's something I'll mention additionally that has always bothered me a great deal. Shortly after Zaf came to live with me in 2005 I started communicating on a yahoo group called 'Sharing Macaws' with someone who lost a beautiful young Hyacinth Macaw named Belle. During our conversations he explained to me that Belle had somehow hanged herself in a quick link that she had unscrewed during play while he was at work. It was absolutely heartbreaking and I can't imagine the pain he must have endured over the tremendous loss of his sweet and beautiful young bird.

I don't believe that type of an accident is at all common. But Belle's story nonetheless sticks in my mind to this day. I remember commenting to him that it was hard to imagine how Belle could have gotten her neck through the opening in a quick link. His reply was that the necks of even the largest Macaws are very narrow, despite their bulky appearance when feathers surround them. And you know something? He's quite correct!

So all I would say to you (and to everyone who uses quick links) is to simply be careful. I would tighten your larger quick links to the point that your bird can't possibly unscrew them. The next time you're scritching your bird's head and neck, take note of the small girth of his neck... then compare it to the size of the opening in your quick links. While an accident like the one I've described is very unlikely, I personally feel it's so much better to be safe than to take the slightest chance of regretting a horrible tragedy for the rest of my life.

weco
07-15-2013, 03:36 AM
You can also borrow your wife's nail polish, open the quick link all the way, drop in a drop or two, screw the link back together, use a wrench, like Plax suggested, let it dry & you're good to go.....my patty used to enjoy opening hers, until I glued them shut on her.....though she couldn't get them open, two 4" crescent wrenches will open them.....

kathleen k
07-22-2013, 04:55 AM
years ago, a friend in my bird group had 2 cag's. and 3 too's. someone suggested a 'busy box' that kept her birds busy for hours.
i just wrote her and asked if she remembered. this place is the closest i can find. just really expensive. the store also had one where the nuts and bolts didn't come out. when i get an answer i will pass it on if she remembers too.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

plax
07-22-2013, 06:21 AM
years ago, a friend in my bird group had 2 cag's. and 3 too's. someone suggested a 'busy box' that kept her birds busy for hours.
i just wrote her and asked if she remembered. this place is the closest i can find. just really expensive. the store also had one where the nuts and bolts didn't come out. when i get an answer i will pass it on if she remembers too.

This page lists several less expensive models (including the 'no removable parts' ones), as well as some bolt-on SS chain toys:

It's the same website. It should also be noted that the store is located in Victoria Australia.

coltfire
07-22-2013, 02:33 PM
thanks for that site tony

kathleen k
07-23-2013, 04:28 AM
thanks plax. didn't notice that.

they have to sell them here in the states, this is what she emailed me. i asked her if she remembered where she got it. ==== I had it for my goffins' too. He loved it!! ==== she lives in california. so see if she can remember it.

kathleen k
07-23-2013, 04:39 AM
found this one. better price too. there are 2 of them.
MY SAFE BIRD STORE
Mailing Address:
62 Princeton Drive
Delran, NJ 08075
Regular Price: $ 37.49

Sale Price: $ 34.99
You Save: $ 2.50

plax
07-23-2013, 06:24 AM
That's great, Kathleen. Thanks!