PDA

View Full Version : Ant issues, anyone?

Mare
07-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Every summer, the ants have come to be an issue where I live. I was in the post office this morning, sending a pkg. and while pulling out money, a couple of ants crawled onto my hand!! Yikes and many more words I can come up with, mother of woodpeckers comes to mind... They have been terrible in the bird room, and the kitchen. I have been cleaning the cages twice a day and there is never a dish left on a counter, EVER! Blood will be spilled if this happens!
I finally found an ant deterent called "Terro", that has been recommended by other than bird people. I'm ready to take precaution and give it a try.
Any feedback on Terro?

Turquoise
07-02-2013, 01:20 AM
i have never heard of Terro, but I do feel ya' on the ant situation. Every year I have to deal with them in the bird food & enclosures. Since I didn't know what to use safely, I just swept, tossed & rolled them up in the cage paper & such. It is only a deterrent, not a remedy.

This year like you the little buggers are all over my counters! They have a trail across the counter, up the extra refrigerator and into the cereal I keep on top of it. I can't spray in the kitchen either as my budgies & GCC Peta are housed in the area. Luckily these are the tiny red, what we call 'piss' ants due to the odor they give off when they are squished. I have had fire ants get in & search for food around the dogs bowls & a little problem last summer in one cage. I used vinegar to kill their trail & they left the birds alone.

If you find out that this Terro is safe & will work, please let us know where to get it!! :th_hug8:

coltfire
07-02-2013, 03:15 AM
never heard of that we have what they call Ant rid and it works great they pick it up take it back to the nest and they eat and die there

aliray
07-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Mare The terro works the same in that they take it back to the nest and it kills the colony. I used it a couple of years ago because I kept finding ants in the kitchen and they were coming in behind the cubbords and out to the counter top. It is toxic so you don't want it where pets can get it , but I got the liquid kind and put a drop on some coated cardboard. comes with the container. I put a few of those on the moulding at the back of the counter and the ants came in droves for about 2 days then they were gone and have not been back. It was not pleasant watching the whole army of them walking back up my walls but like I said they are gone

aliray
07-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Mare I had another thought that I found by accident with that ant invasion. Before I used the Terro I would get up in the morning and find about 50 small ants running all over the place. As you tried to squish them the others were running away. So one day in desperation I grabbed my spay bottle of Glass Plus window cleaner that I use to clean my counters with and I gave them a spritz. It immediatly killed every ant it hit and then I could just clean them up with a paper towel. It did not have a residual effect but like I said it at least did in the ones that I sprayed. Been using it ever since It helps on the outside lani and it does not contain ammonia which is why I use it versus windex

Mare
07-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Thank you, Alison, for the info and I have also used Glass Plus for this ant invasion! So far, the Terro drops are doing a fantastic job, I put the small pieces of coated cardboard out, the ants came and I'm hoping not to see any tomorrow!
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
07-02-2013, 05:32 PM
These ants are no longer in Amigo's area, they have been drawn to the Terro drops!! YAY!!

ShellyBorg
07-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Thats great. I use Dawn dish soap in water and spray to kill ants in my area. To get rid of the whole issue I use this. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
07-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Shelly! I'll put this in my recipe box!

Blackhawk007
07-05-2013, 09:41 PM
The only Ant issue I experienced only had 2 legs so I don't think I can relate on this one. :th_LOL: