PDA

View Full Version : ~~Yes I do have Rats in my home!~~

Turquoise
07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Since I posted photos of my chinchillas, I didn't want the rat boys to feel left out. :th_LOL:

I have two male rats who are nearing their 2nd birthday. So in other words, they are getting old in rat years. Cletus Rat is a bit of an idiot. He is a grey hooded color. He is very greedy about food & will grab first before checking to see if it is food or me! He has been that way since he was a little squeak of a thing & nothing will change his mind. I have to keep the food scoop in front of him when I reach into the cage to get their bowl. He is a pia, but I overlook it, except at times when I threaten to feed him to one of my snakes!:th_hehe:

My other rat boy is Mingus Rat and he is a sweetheart like rats are supposed to be. He is a Siamese colored rat, like my chinchilla that they call a Mosaic. My two most favorite rat boys have since gone over the rainbow bridge last year. They were both older than these two & just plain got old. They were both black hooded rats & their names were, Rastus Rat & Festus Rat. I still miss both of those boys. Rastus Rat had a white colored lightening bolt pattern coming down his nose & he would run to the cage door any time he saw me pass by. He loved being with his favorite human.

This is Cletus Rat.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

This is Mingus Rat.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Debra
07-01-2013, 11:56 AM
I had a few rats when I was a kid. They were fun. Your two are pretty.

Honesty
07-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Yikes! I cant say they are adorable De'Andrea as I am absolutely terrified of Rats:(

aliray
07-01-2013, 02:52 PM
They make such great pets and are so smart

coltfire
07-01-2013, 03:55 PM
unfortunately i just see rats as food for my snakes

Turquoise
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks Debra. My son always wanted a rat when he was young & I kept holding off. I could only think of the wild smelly destructive onesoutside that always found a way into the outdoor birds & horses' feed. It wasn't til I read up about them that I decide the domesticated ones deserved another look.

Wendy, I understand & my rat boys forgive you.:th_hehe:

Alison, they are very smart. Except for Cletus Rat. I think he may have fallen on his head when his Mommy had him.:th_LOL:

Steve, I understand where you are coming from since I keep snakes also. My rat boys on the other hand probably won't forgive you.:th_loltears: I only feed frozen/thawed rodents I order from someone else who kills them first. It is a bit disheartening & a little funny to see the rats watch as I carry one of their relatives by to feed a snake. They just stare as if to say a silent prayer for the soon to be devoured morsel.

coltfire
07-01-2013, 05:01 PM
thats so funny tell your boys there safe, i to only feed thawed rats to my snakes, i tried breeding them once to save on money but didnt have the heart to kill them and wont feed live to my snakes so they went to friends and it was back to buying frozen.

Honesty
07-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Steve, I understand where you are coming from since I keep snakes also. My rat boys on the other hand probably won't forgive you.Wow!! You have snakes too?

headfeathermistress
07-01-2013, 08:19 PM
I have three guinea pigs. I love them. Had rats in high school

Turquoise
07-02-2013, 01:47 AM
How sweet Christa, you will have to post photos of your 'piggies'. :th_biggrin: I have had guinea pigs in years past. I do love their squeal when they hear the fridge door open. :th_LOL:

Yes, Wendy I have 6 snakes. I used to have many more, but decided it was not going to be safe for my parrots if i kept them. I sold some & gave some to the guy who bought most of my scaled kids.

OK Steve, the rat boys said you are forgiven~~this time.:th_hehe: That would be my problem, doing the actual killing. I just don't have the heart. When I had all my snakes they all ate frozen/thawed except my male pied ball python. He was a pia to feed as I insisted he learn to accept what I gave him. My female pied ball ate them just fine, but they came from different breeders also.

Turquoise
07-15-2013, 07:21 AM
I have had hamsters in years past when my son was young. In my personal opinion rats do make better pets because they love to be held & interact with you more than hamsters. Hamsters tend to be loners and rats are social in nature.:th_biggrin: