PDA

View Full Version : Messy?

tonkatiel
06-30-2013, 03:04 AM
So I need to know - are Lorikeets really as messy as people say??

From a young age I have always LOVED rainbow lorikeets - more for there looks than anything else, but eventually for there personalities as well... When it came time for me to decide which birdie I wanted to have though, I found out they are very messy which of course did put me off a bit...
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
06-30-2013, 05:56 AM
I know nothing of Lorikeets but I couldn't imagine anything being messier than a cockatoo! Birds were not meant to live in homes where people are concerned about cleanliness, bummer! I think that if we take on a bird, we deal with their messiness. :). Ok, that didn't come out right. Birds didn't evolve to someday be a pet in a home, I don't believe. This is more along my lines of thinking!

ShellyBorg
06-30-2013, 06:02 AM
Oh yes they are messy. Think slung sugar every where and vary wet projectile poops the can and will be aimed at people/pets they do not like. That being said if you can deal with it they are supper sweet non nippy birds that love to go to every one. This is one reason they are used so much in parks in different areas of the country. People can go in and pay for a cup of food and the birds will happily come to them and hang of of complete strangers.

Turquoise
06-30-2013, 06:38 AM
I have never owned one either, but like you I have read & heard they are very messy. Given their food they eat I can imagine the amount of cleanup it can cause. I think they are gorgeous! If I didn't work, I'd be more inclined to keep one & not worry about how much time it took to cleanup everyday.:th_biggrin:

I got to see lots of them when we visited the San Antonio zoo in South Texas while we were waiting for my Catalina macaw breeder to get to town when my boys were to come home with me. The S.A. zoo has a great many birds of all kinds, parrots included and some Amazons & macaws living free among the trees throughout the place.

Honesty
06-30-2013, 08:05 AM
I have heard they are very messy birds, but do not actually know anyone that has one!

Debra
06-30-2013, 12:06 PM
I have no advice as I have no experience with them. I do think they are beautiful however.

Pinkbirdy
07-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Ill tell you about my Lory. His beak is shaped different [so it doesn't hurt at all] .Ive heard before Rainbows [hurt more] .Hes aggressive towards all my other birds [but hes male ] I hear the females are better. Louie is very smart though,does tricks ,talks in sentences,sticks his tongue in my ear and likes everyone in the family. I use a pressure washer to really wash his cage . Every thing does get sticky .Louie is a Yellow steak lory. Ive seen these guys that are called "perfect lorys" Their a riot [check them out] [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Debra
07-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Terri, he's beautiful! I've never seen one before.

aliray
07-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Gorgeous bird

coltfire
07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
lorries dont poop they squirt, yes they are messy but very easy to train to poop in one spot, and there personality out ways the mess any day, they are such fun birds

tonkatiel
07-02-2013, 03:39 AM
Ahh you guys are just making me want one even more! Lol... Before I got my current Fids, the idea of the mess really did put me off, but now that I've got the others and I'm already spending half my days cleaning up after them, surely cleaning up after a lorikeet wouldn't be too much more work right? :P

Haha I'm banned from getting any more birds right now (by my partner), but at least I know now what I'm gonna get when I am allowed ;)

Grey
01-02-2014, 06:04 PM
there are some newer diets available that will cut down, but not eliminate, the runny poops. There are ways to contain the mess around the cage. But with a high sugar semi liquid diet, hygiene is vital. Feeding is a 2 step process (feeding and removing) that takes place several times a day to avoid spoilage. If the lorry does decide that someone is not to its liking, there will be no doubt about it: their aim is amazing. Having said all of that, I absolutely loved my time with my lories and wouldn't hesitate to have another.

tonkatiel
01-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Well since I wrote this I do now have a rainbow lorikeet ;) and yes he is definitely messy! In saying that though, I have a shower curtain on the back and side of his cage (the sides that are facing the wall) and that has helped a LOT with the cleaning! He has dry food available at all times and wet mix only for an hour or 2 in the mornings... With the other birds I give the bottom grate/tray a quick wipe every day and a proper clean once a week - Skittles cage needs a proper clean every day otherwise it just gets too hard to clean off!
I don't regret getting him in any way, shape or form though! He's a complete clown and has been nicknamed our 'ADHD bird' because he never stops! My partner adores him and has said that he'd more than happily fill the whole house with loris (he doesnt do the cleaning though!) - as far as he's concerned Skittles has more personality than the rest of the birds put together and he has the added bonus of he doesn't cover the house in seed and pellets ;)

Feathers First Aviary
01-03-2014, 07:46 AM
I was just coming to say, make sure you invest in some shower curtains but it looks like you beat me to it! I also wanted to say though, if you don't do this already, bee pollen granules make a great training treat for lories! They love them :)

tonkatiel
01-03-2014, 12:17 PM
I had heard that, but I'm having trouble finding any :( fresh corn kernals seem to work really well with Skittles and luckily they're very much readily available lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Debra
01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
We need a picture of him! He sounds great.

kendrafitz
01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Skittles sounds awesome (despite the mess)!! Would love to see pics.

I know very little about lories. There is a black baby at BP, or was last time I was there. He/she is very smart, very energetic, super interactive and funny as anything. I had no idea how great they are!! Tons of personality in that little body.

tonkatiel
01-04-2014, 12:42 AM
Lol ok here's some photos, not the best quality (very dark) but they're all I have on my phone right now...

tonkatiel
01-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Above are all fairly recent pics, below is one from not long after I got him and he decided to dive in his waterbowl for the first time lol...

tonkatiel
01-04-2014, 12:46 AM
Kendra, a black lori is one of my (many) dream birds! They're quite expensive and pretty rare over here though :(

Grey
01-04-2014, 02:38 AM
Black Lories aren't very common in the US either. They average $1500 when you can find them. Forget Rajah Lories (a subspecies) they never established in aviculture here

kendrafitz
01-04-2014, 12:59 PM
What a beauty!!!

I didn't realize they were rare, shows my knowledge on the subject! ;) I should have realized since the baby was alone and not near the rainbows. If he/she is still available the price at BP is $1000.00. Just in case someone is looking in the NJ area.