PDA

View Full Version : A Good Parrot Choice For My 7 Yr Old Daughter

Blancaej
06-29-2013, 08:59 PM
I am hoping to start looking for a parrot for my 7 year old daughter this fall or next spring. She absolutely loves Quincy & Savannah and I wanted her to have a bird of her own that she could spend time with. Savannah is way too heavy for her to hold, although one day I know she will! Quincy is a biter and I won't let her hold him. I will be helping her with the care of her bird.

She really wants a bird of her own so she can interact with it. I've been looking into different birds and wanted to know if any of you have suggestions on a first bird for her. The only bird she has no interested in are Budgies, so if you have any encouraging words on them, she may reconsider.

She would need a bird that generally is known for having a good temperament and is a family bird. I know there are no guarantees but if we can find a bird known for being friendly, that would be the way to go.

Also, we would get the bird from a good breeder so it is well socialized and she can handle it from the start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We have a future parrot owner here and I want to make her first experience a good one! And before you say she is too young, I would like to say she is very mature for her age, I will be helping her and I think I know my daughter better then anyone and she is ready. Thanks in advance!

Debra
06-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Tiels are good for a small family bird. But then again, I only have 5 of them so I might be a little biased.

Honesty
06-29-2013, 09:22 PM
I agree, a Tiel would be a good choice or maybe a GCC.

Blancaej
06-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks Ladies - I am kind of going toward really looking into Tiels. It sounds like the would be very manageable for someone her age. A GCC is also a good consideration!

JadeC
06-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Cockatiels and green cheeks are both very good ones!!! Maybe even a parrotlet too would be good :)

Blancaej
06-30-2013, 01:07 AM
I have thought about looking into Parrolets as well. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pinkbirdy
06-30-2013, 02:05 AM
I have read threads before that ask "Who was your favorite bird" . Interestingly enough these people had all kinds of birds even big ones [like Macaws and Toos] . Most of them said their Tiels !! Which intrigues me :) Ive never owned one .But pay attention to what people say about them . Their described as really enjoying the time spent with their owners.As for a future bird lover [I think that's great !!!] I have a 10 and 13 year old daughters who help me a lot. Its been a great experience for all of us.

Blancaej
06-30-2013, 02:35 AM
Thanks Terri - I will help her as much as she needs me, I just want her to have a bird she can handle every day. I know it will be a great experience for her. :D

mrgoogls
06-30-2013, 04:17 AM
for someone that young I would agree with a smaller bird. it is a lot easier to handle. tiels and GCCs are good! I think most conures are good when it comes to size, but I don't know about temperament. im not an expert with conures. parrotlets are good too. maybe even a lovebird? if you think she could handle a slightly bigger bird then maybe even a quaker? cooper was nice from the start! he can be a bit nippy at times though and most quakers are pretty cage aggressive and that might be a problem. but for my first bird I think a quaker was a good choice for me. not just because of a small size but also just my lifestyle. keep that in mind too. good luck!

ShellyBorg
06-30-2013, 05:46 AM
I will chime in on a teil. I love how bonded and interactive they are. My first bird was a teil and he is still at the top of my list best bird ever!

Turquoise
06-30-2013, 06:07 AM
My suggestion would be a Green Cheek Conure. I never owned one before getting Peta who was 5 yrs. old, but she is a total sweetheart & loves both myself & my hubby. GCCs do have a wonderful personality. They love to hang out on your shoulder & in your hair. :th_LOL: They have lots of personality and think they are as big as a macaw when it comes to attitude. Peta thinks she can whip my big kids. Of course I don't allow them to interact, but when her wings grow out, she thinks nothing of flying onto one of the play perches while the big ones are on it & 'calling out' the interloper!:th_hehe:

I can't say whether it is a GCC trait since Peta is my first, but she came to me at her former owner's home & sat on my shoulder. That is why her former Mom decided I would be taking her home when she could no longer care for her due to a life change. Once we got home that evening, Peta sat on my shoulder & has never acted as if she has lived with anyone else. She was very bonded to her former Mom who allowed her to stay out almost all day long, something I am not able to allow for her. She took to me with no problems. Just thought I'd add this in case you consider a re-homed one in the future. They seem to adjust very quickly. :th_biggrin:

Blancaej
06-30-2013, 12:06 PM
All good suggestions! :D

We may consider a rehome so thank you for your experience De'.

I actually found a yellow collard mini macaw that needed a home. The womans 6 year old could handle and play with her. She was 5 yrs old. But they were 3 hours away and we were not ready to adopt another bird yet. Oh well! There are lots of rehomes out there! You never know.

Pinkbirdy
06-30-2013, 05:01 PM
I would get a just [weaned] one . If I was choosing a bird for my daughter . She can learn ,grow and trust the bird [and get her confidence ] There is a difference between rehomes and babies. Im about half and half of my house of twelve. In my house the Caiques love the kids and so does the Hawkhead . Do I think its the species ?[maybe a little] But I think Its because we got them just weaned. I got my RB2 last night and already hes on my shoulder ,I can kiss him . I couldn't let my other Rb2 on my shoulder but I got her when she was older.Heres a picture of Elise and Sammy [he loves her]

- - - Updated - - -

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Blancaej
06-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks Terri! I think that is a really good point. I think she will like the idea of getting a baby, too! Caiques are another I can add to my list! I have a lot of research ahead. LOL! I think I will print pictures of all of them with a fact sheet and narrow it down to a 2 or 3 from there. Then we can work on her EARNING the bird! :)

Have you posted pics of your RB2 yet?? Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

I love the picture of Elise. So great! How old is Elise?

spiritbird
06-30-2013, 07:47 PM
I really do not think a GCC is a good choice for a young person. Sure they are small but they also have a big attitude to manage and usually do not get along with other species. I know people may disagree with me but this comes from personal experience. I truly love my little English Budgie. He is smart and easy to train from a baby. She should have no problem handling them. Only thing is the lifespan is about 10 years. Show her some of our videos here on the forum or on You tube.

Blancaej
06-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks Dianne. I will keep that in mind! :)

spiritbird
06-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Does your daughter have any allergies to dust or pollens? Some of the birds listed on this thread have feather dust.

Blancaej
06-30-2013, 11:05 PM
I have a very dusty grey! Lol. But no she doesn't. Thanks for thinking of that. :)

mrgoogls
07-01-2013, 01:44 AM
a caique is a good idea!!!!

coltfire
07-01-2013, 02:14 AM
another nice small parrot, but dont no the availability of them over there is the Eastern Rosella, great little first bird.

Blancaej
07-04-2013, 02:42 AM
So I think we might have a pretty firm decision on the bird we are going to go with. After looking at the books I bought Morgan (I bought her a Cockatiel book and a Conure book yesterday) she had decided on a Lutino Tiel.

I decided to do some further research and see if I could find a Vermont breeder. Well I found one that raises Teils, but I also found she breeds lineolated parakeets! She said they are super sweet birds! I told my daughter and we did a little research online and she has made her decision.....

A lineolated parakeet it is! The breeder won't have any babies until the fall but this is perfect timing for us! I am going to talk to the breeder more and make sure the babies on not just hand fed but hand raised. After talking to her today, I feel confident that she is socializing her birds well. My daughter is very excited! And the great news is, the breeder is only about an hour away from my home!

I also have a cage that will be perfect for our future little sweetie. My mom used to have a pretty decent size cage for her budgie. So I think that cage will work perfectly! Here is a picture of what linolated (linnies) look like in case you haven't seen them.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Morgan also started her bird chores today. She was very enthusiastic to start after seeing the linnies online! She helped me sweep up the bird area and clean all the bowls and change the paper. I even had her clean up some bird poop on the floor so she will get used to dealing with that. Washing her hands thoroughly afterwards of course! She did a great job. I think she enjoyed helping with the birds. I told her she has to keep it up, continue to read everyday all summer and keep her room clean and she will earn her bird! I will keep you posted as I talk to the breeder more! :)

tonkatiel
07-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Oooohhh they are adorable!!! Congrats on making a decision! :)

kendrafitz
07-04-2013, 09:43 AM
They are so cute!!!! Can't wait to read all about the new baby! :)

Blancaej
07-04-2013, 11:23 AM
They are adorable. I can see why she instantly fell in love. Even my son wants one. I told him he has to wait a few more years then maybe he can. In the meantime, he can enjoy Morgan's.

Debra
07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Good choice! I've heard nothing but good things about them. Can't wait to see pics of your new little one.

spiritbird
07-04-2013, 01:48 PM
I just finished reading an article about lineolated parakeets in Parrots Magazine. They sound wonderful. The author had nothing but good things to say about them. They apparently talk and whistle, in addition to having a sweet personality. Are you going to get 2?

Blancaej
07-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks Debra - I will definitely post pics!

Dianne - That is great to hear. Everything I've read has been great, too. I think we will start out with one and see how it goes. After all, it's my daughters bird. I want her to be able to have enough time to spend with it.

So I talked to the breeder again today and asked her a bunch of questions! Sounds like she does a great job at socializing them. They are out of there cage most of the day. She also lets them fledge and fly before getting adopted. She said not usually long because it's hard to have a lot of birds flying around all the time but she does let them fly so they learn. She has some eggs right now and hopes they are fertile. I guess the last clutch was not. So she doesn't want to jinx herself and tell me she has babies just yet. They take about 7-8 weeks to wean. So that would be the perfect time frame we are looking at! I will be in touch with her and as soon as she knows that she will have some babies and these eggs are in fact fertile we will put down a deposit! So exciting! I will keep you posted!

Mare
07-04-2013, 06:11 PM
That's great! Linnies are parakeets? Are they the same size as what we see in pet stores? I'm sure your daughter is in seventh heaven and with a birdy mom like you, she will learn well!

Blancaej
07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks Mare! :D

They are listed as parakeets but some have argued that they are missed classified and should be classified as parrots. They are about the size of a lovebird I've been told. In either case, they are great birds from what I've read!

DQ IT
07-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Linnies are a good choice!

I'm not sure why so many are recommending gcc's for a child. I love them but everyone I've heard talk about them says they're nippy.
And there are lots of caique horror stories where they attack people with a vengeance either during or after puberty. Not for kids imo.

I think a budgie would be a great choice too as there's not much chance your daughter could be hurt by one and they are one of the top 3 talking species.

Fyi: parakeets ARE parrots. :)

spiritbird
07-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Yes parakeets are considered hookbills. I would love a Linnie myself but the cost is between $250 and $400 depending on color and sex. If anyone has an extra Linnie let it fly my way!!!!

Momto3boys
07-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Great choice, when I first started reading this I was surprised as well that people were recommending GCC and then nearly died when I seen a caique was recommended. IMO neither of those are good choices for kids, I dont even think I could handle a crazy Caique!

Linnies are AMAZING little birds!

Blancaej
07-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Linnies are a good choice!

I'm not sure why so many are recommending gcc's for a child. I love them but everyone I've heard talk about them says they're nippy.
And there are lots of caique horror stories where they attack people with a vengeance either during or after puberty. Not for kids imo.

I think a budgie would be a great choice too as there's not much chance your daughter could be hurt by one and they are one of the top 3 talking species.

Fyi: parakeets ARE parrots. :)

Thanks for the info. I do realize that parakeets are parrots, just a different classification.

Yes parakeets are considered hookbills. I would love a Linnie myself but the cost is between $250 and $400 depending on color and sex. If anyone has an extra Linnie let it fly my way!!!!

My breeder charges $150 which I thought was a great price. It will very slightly depending on the color.

Great choice, when I first started reading this I was surprised as well that people were recommending GCC and then nearly died when I seen a caique was recommended. IMO neither of those are good choices for kids, I dont even think I could handle a crazy Caique!

Linnies are AMAZING little birds!

I did a lot of research with all the suggestions and found Linnies to be perfect! I was a little hesitant with conures and caiques. Caiques were out of my price range anyway! :)

mrgoogls
07-05-2013, 05:19 AM
wow that surprises me about GCCs. I have handled about 20 different ones in the past year(my little brother is in love with them so always asks to hold then at the pet store. haha. and since they are out, why not :D) and only one or 2 was really nippy. the rest were SUPER sweet. and even when I did get a little bite it isn't bad because they are so small. but I guess it would hurt more to a little kid.

Blancaej
07-05-2013, 10:51 AM
wow that surprises me about GCCs. I have handled about 20 different ones in the past year(my little brother is in love with them so always asks to hold then at the pet store. haha. and since they are out, why not :D) and only one or 2 was really nippy. the rest were SUPER sweet. and even when I did get a little bite it isn't bad because they are so small. but I guess it would hurt more to a little kid.

Each and every bird is different. A conure was on her "like" list. We would have looked for a well socialized one. But ultimatly she fell in love with linnies! :)

spiritbird
07-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I am guessing if I purchased a Linnie elsewhere it would cost because shipping would be included in the price. Oh well I will just enjoy your daughters new Linnie.

Blancaej
07-05-2013, 03:00 PM
I will definitely share plenty of photos and her experiences here on the forum! :D

spiritbird
07-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Which color does she prefer? If you think this person is a good breeder please drop me a link. Thanks

Murphy's Mom
07-17-2013, 03:19 PM
We bought my daughter, 9 an Alexandrine Ringneck baby last year.
They are the best of friends.

Blancaej
07-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Which color does she prefer? If you think this person is a good breeder please drop me a link. Thanks

Just saw this Dianne. If it all works out, I will definitely give you her info! She has no website but I can give you her phone number. Morgans seemed to like the yellow one. But said any color will do!

We bought my daughter, 9 an Alexandrine Ringneck baby last year.
They are the best of friends.

I would love an Alexandrine! I may consider one in the far distant future! :D

Ok...so I heard from the breeder. I emailed her a couple of days ago and with hesitation (I will explain) she emailed me back. She has 2 babies in the nest right now. A male and a female. She tends to lose her baby females from this pair of breeders so she was hesitant to email me because she didn't want to jinx herself. So I need these two little babies in everyone's thoughts and prayers. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed that they both make it. She says "Don't count your Linnie's until they are weaned!" Morgan is hopeful the female will make it. She is a red eye and will be a lutino or a creamino. So exciting! :D

Honesty
07-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Fingers crossed for you Blanca:)

ConureGuy
07-26-2013, 10:35 PM
I'd have to say senegal or even a conure there both cute species of birds. :)

spiritbird
07-26-2013, 10:46 PM
I am pulling for these babies to make it so your daughter will not be disappointed.

Turquoise
07-27-2013, 12:27 AM
I will be keeping the baby Linnies in my thoughts for you Blanca. Glad you found one & hope Morgan gets her little female.:th_biggrin:

Blancaej
07-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Fingers crossed for you Blanca:)

Thanks! :)

I'd have to say senegal or even a conure there both cute species of birds. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. We are hoping for a Linnie!

I am pulling for these babies to make it so your daughter will not be disappointed.

Thanks Dianne. I've warned her they may not make it but we are hopeful!

I will be keeping the baby Linnies in my thoughts for you Blanca. Glad you found one & hope Morgan gets her little female.:th_biggrin:

Thanks De'! I'm thinking enough positive thoughts will help our baby keep goin'!

I will keep everyone posted! Thanks! :D

Pinkbirdy
07-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Blanca ,Its great when your family shares the love of birds .It makes a all around happy time [for all]. I know my daughters were scared of birds at first . But once they built their confidence [things are great] .I take no chances though. A few they can only give treats too. Are your kids scared of Quincy and Savannah ? I don't know Linnies but I bet they will be great !!! I see my picture of Elise and [Sammy the caique ] was taken by others a little wrong . At my house the birds we have gotten just weaned Love, Love Love the kids [I think its cause that's all they know] I was just trying to impress that in the picture . It could be any species its how. their raised .The hawkhead ,caiques ,sunconure ,lorry and Rb2 love them. But If my daughter wanted her first very own bird [I would do like you you get a smaller breed ] :)

Blancaej
07-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Blanca ,Its great when your family shares the love of birds .It makes a all around happy time [for all]. I know my daughters were scared of birds at first . But once they built their confidence [things are great] .I take no chances though. A few they can only give treats too. Are your kids scared of Quincy and Savannah ? I don't know Linnies but I bet they will be great !!! I see my picture of Elise and [Sammy the caique ] was taken by others a little wrong . At my house the birds we have gotten just weaned Love, Love Love the kids [I think its cause that's all they know] I was just trying to impress that in the picture . It could be any species its how. their raised .The hawkhead ,caiques ,sunconure ,lorry and Rb2 love them. But If my daughter wanted her first very own bird [I would do like you you get a smaller breed ] :)

This kids really enjoy the birds. Quincy was around before I had kids, but he has been with them all of their lives so they are very used to him and no the "rules". Quincy bites so I am the only one that handles him. Brad has begun picking him up on a stick now, which is great. After getting bitten a few times over the years, Brad had become gun shy of Quincy. But getting Savannah has sparked him to try harder with Quincy. Morgan is hopeful to hold Quincy one day but she knows it will have to be when she is ready for a possible bite! Both kids have been bitten, but warning bites only! Morgan once when she was about 3 and Marcus more recently as he is 3 now. LOL! Morgan & Brad can feed Quincy treats and Marcus does now and then but he is afraid to most of the time. Can't blame the kid. But he loves Quincy non the less and loves watching him and hearing him talk.

The kids can now pet Savannah along with Brad. And Brad can get her out on the stick from her cage. Everyone feeds her treats! She does great with the whole family. Her sqwaking is the only thing that Marcus does not like. He will cry if he is in the same room. But it's getting a little better with time.

I think the Linnie will be a bird both Morgan and Marcus will be able to handle. We are getting her from a local breeder who hand feeds and rasies them. So the relationship should be good from the start! I loved the pic of your daughter with the Caique! Kids can handle birds if you know the bird is kid friendly and you teach your child proper handling. I think you do a great job!

One of the reasons I am getting Morgan her own bird is because she really wants to be able to handle the birds. Quincy bites and Savannah is just too heavy for her right now. So I figured I will get her one she can carry all over the place with her. She is very excited!