PDA

View Full Version : Example of Bird Intelligence

spiritbird
06-29-2013, 05:04 PM
I put out a few bird houses near my apt. so I can watch over them. It was time to take one down for cleaning as the Wrens have raised two clutches in this small house. There was no perch near the hole where they entered so what did they do? They made there own perch as you can see. I thought this was so cute.

pic taken before I cleaned the house.

aliray
06-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Smart birdy.

Honesty
06-29-2013, 05:32 PM
That just goes to show how intelligent they are :)

I have lots of bird houses in my garden and have never had birds nesting in them :(

Debra
06-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Smart birdies!! I just figured out a way to keep the squirrels out of my bird feeders. Put food out just for them!! lol

spiritbird
06-29-2013, 05:56 PM
There were squirrels all over the tree this house was in but I never saw them pay any attention to the nesting birds.
I have another larger one I had to move because it was too close to my building and some of the neighbors are very noisy. It has a nice nest inside but the birds abandon the house. Now it is on the edge of the woods where I can easily watch out of
kitchen window.

Debra
06-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I love watching the wildlife. Hubby got me a camera for Christmas that is weather proof so I can take pictures of wildlife. He built me a feeding station for the birds and we've since added on for squirrels. They all get along just fine. Oh, I have rabbits that forage around where the squirrels and birds fling seed.

spiritbird
06-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Good for you Debra. Next thing you can do is put up a feeding trough for the deer. They love cracked corn. When I lived in the north woods of Wisconsin for a short while we did have a deer feeding station with a roof to keep the corn dry. The parents taught the young ones to come back. We kept it all year and cracked corn there was only $5. for 100 lbs. One time I saw a lame doe who had a withered foreleg and she seem to be living with only 3 legs.

Mare
06-30-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if feeding the wildlife is a good thing. :(. Our wild turkey flock is getting out of control. They are devastating our gardens. Our tomato plants have no leaves below their head height, the melon plants and cucumber plants are also naked of leaves. :(. We don't feed these birds, besides them eating the left over grain from horses and compost but they are starting to become a pest!

Turquoise
06-30-2013, 06:52 AM
That is very ingenious of the little stinkers! Next they will be telling you what type of limbs they want for a perfect fit, Dianne! :th_LOL:

The only thing that likes to next in bird houses I've had up in past years is yellow jacket wasp!! They are horrible during the summer. we are always having to kill them out before we get stung by them. Hubby is allergic & my son was very allergic to all kinds of insect stings to the point of swelling with huge whelps immediately after being stung.

I throw the old food from the birds bowls out in the yard rather than the trash. Sparrows & finches come to pick through it. This past winter the Redbird really enjoyed picking around in it when there was little to eat. I didn't even think Redbirds would eat parrot foods. I thought they were insect eaters.