PDA

View Full Version : Training Questions

tiffnmango
06-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Okay. So Mango has begun to scream when he wants me to come get him. I want to break him of this habit and try to make another signal to replace this scream.

Any ideas?

ShellyBorg
06-28-2013, 11:50 PM
When I first got Spirit he would do the Grey contact call....loud! Drove me nuts, I think I would have liked screaming better. (it can make you feel like you have lost your hearing if you are any where close when they do it) Anyways I started to whistle a set of tunes (short 3 notes) every time he would contact call. It did not take long for him to pick it up and now its our call to each other.

Blancaej
06-29-2013, 01:13 AM
I agree with Shelly. Work on teaching him a contact call you like. Praise a lot when he does it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

spiritbird
06-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Give him positive reinforcement when he is not screaming and ignore him when he is. That way he will learn.

tiffnmango
07-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm working on this but he is very stubborn lol

spiritbird
07-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Sally Blanchard wrote an article once I read. She said birds will do something if they know there is a reward for them otherwise forget it! She did not have a cure for stubbornness. Good luck and he will come around.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
07-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Amigo will contact call from his room. If I can't go to him, at the moment, I don't. I found, over the years, that if I don't jump every time he calls, (which I use too), he's learned not to beg for it.

Blancaej
07-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Good advice Mare! I try to do that with Savannah. If she calls I will call back to her. But if she really is yelling, I will walk in the room past her into the kitchen as if I'm doing something else, just to check on her and make sure she is ok. Being new to the house still, I at least want to check and see if she is doing ok. Once she calms down and is quiet, I will go up to her and give her attention to reinforce quiet is good!

Lady
08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I know this thread is dated but I wanted to mention that the article is no longer available.

plax
08-27-2014, 05:19 PM
I know this thread is dated but I wanted to mention that the article is no longer available.Which article? I see plenty of active links to articles written by Sally Blanchard at: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Lady
08-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Uh oh, it was me. It is working now. It was the one that spiritbird posted on 7/8/13, #6. Sorry for the error on my behalf.

Did I mention I knocked my laptop off my bed the other day :(

plax
08-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Uh oh, it was me. It is working now. It was the one that spiritbird posted on 7/8/13, #6. Sorry for the error on my behalf.No problem :)

Did I mention I knocked my laptop off my bed the other day :(You're not supposed to do that, Alice ;)

Lady
08-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Now you tell me! :th_LOL: