PDA

View Full Version : Java Tree Lifespans?

kendrafitz
06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
My one year old Greenwing Rosie started taking an interest in chewing on her favorite branch on her java tree. I didn't think twice about it at first. However yesterday she went to town and ended up chewing through the branch, which ended up on the floor. :th_shocking: She was not standing on it, so she was fine.

Now she has one less branch to stand on. Which got me thinking, how long do java tree stands usually last? Most of her branches are pretty thick, but the one she chewed through wasn't tiny. Just wondering if it is something I should be saving for on a yearly basis?

Thanks!

Kendra & Rosie

Honesty
06-27-2013, 02:04 PM
I know alot of people that have the java tree stands replace the chewed branches, which obviously saves a bit of money.

Its lovely to see you again Kendra :)

Blancaej
06-27-2013, 03:11 PM
I think it would be a lot more cost effective to just replace the branches. Should be easy enough. Otherwise that could get expensive! LOL!

Debra
06-27-2013, 03:15 PM
You've gotten some good advice. I have nothing to offer as I don't have any wood chewers and most of my guys are small.

Pinkbirdy
06-27-2013, 11:54 PM
If you wrapped the branches with that vet tape.Do you think that would deter her? Wow that's a pretty expensive chew toy!! My Grey ,Macaw and LS2 like to chew through those super thick rope perches :(

kendrafitz
06-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks! I will try the tape and replace the branch. :). It was her favorite branch, and she keeps going to step onto it and then seems shocked it isn't there. Silly girl!

I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue and how long the trees usually last.

ShellyBorg
06-28-2013, 07:42 PM
See if you can cut the end the was chewed from the branch and the stand. (just to clean it up) then drill a hole in both ends and use a double ended bolt to screw the branch back on. That way you can reuse the branch, if enough of it is left.