PDA

View Full Version : Aviary

Rescued
06-26-2013, 05:18 PM
I wanted to see how many people here have outdoor aviaries. I would love to get one, but they are either Very expensive, or hard to find... It is hard to find suitable materials, especially because I have large birds, meaning I need larger everything. Please share pictures and experiences please.

ShellyBorg
06-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Your Macaws would do fine in a large dog kennel. Lowes and Costco both sell them at a good price. Lowes has some really nice ones that are even covered.

Rescued
06-26-2013, 05:30 PM
I have looked into these, but they are all galvanized, or are painted. Neither of these are parrot safe.

ShellyBorg
06-26-2013, 05:46 PM
The ones I have seen are powder coated.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo= ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=)

these one is the one I am looking at. Look under Specifications.

Blancaej
06-27-2013, 02:25 AM
Great idea Shelly! I bookmarked that one!

Turquoise
06-27-2013, 02:30 AM
The dog kennels Shelly mentions is what I keep my macaws in inside my house. The first one I got for Roscoe & Angel I bought from The Tractor Supply Store and it was not galvanized. They don't list it any longer, and the ones they sell now are a different brand that do say they are galvanized.

I bought the black powder coated one I use for Ruby Jewel from Lowe's since the other place quit handling the other kind. It is the AKC professional dog kennel. For me they work great as enclosures for my big kids. And I love being able to walk in & pick them right up if I need, but they are usually waiting eagerly on the door already.

I am planning to build an outdoor aviary on the front & back of my house only to be used when I can sit with them. Not for housing them. I have ideas as to what I will use, but it may be next year before we put the ideas into the actual workings. We have too much remodeling going on at the moment & I dare not add any more to my hubby's plate for now. He is famous at quitting before the job is done if I push him. I used to do all my own building, but that was when I didn't work & was 30 years younger!

The link Shelly provides is the same one I am using for Ruby Jewel. I have it half size at the moment (5X5), but I can extend it to the full 10ft length if she should require more room later. Roscoe & Angel's is divided in half and each had his own space.

Mandi
07-01-2013, 09:38 AM
I have a out door aviary for my 5 greys, it's prob the best thing we have ever bought for them
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
I think there's 7 greys in there (1was a play date the other was a holiday bird) x

Turquoise
07-01-2013, 10:02 AM
That is a great looking aviary Mandi! I love it & it sounds like your greys love it too! :th_biggrin:

I love all the ropes they have to climb on. I have to get some made for my macaws.

coltfire
07-10-2013, 01:27 AM
here is my keets and teils aviary and the cattery behind it1011 if i had my way the cats would go and that would become an aviary.

Turquoise
07-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Very nice setups you have there Steve! I love the dog too, really pretty. :th_hug8:

What kind of cats? Do you raise them too?

Momto3boys
07-10-2013, 10:55 AM
We were going to build an outdoor aviary for my guys this Summer but our bugs are SOOOOO bad this year that we can barely spend anytime outside either. So I don't think ours is going to get built this Summer.

coltfire
07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
cats and dogs and the lorries are my partners i just look after the birds as im a bird person not a cat person i dont like cats only because of what they do to wild life , if they killed only to eat i could live with it but to kill for fun, dont like cats, but would never hurt one.

Rescued
07-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Wow, there are some good setups here, I am trying to determine what will work best for our situation, I don't think I would ever let our birds interact without supervision sinces they only just tolerate each other, I am still in the wishing phase. ;-)

Turquoise
07-11-2013, 06:07 AM
That's the way mine are, they merely tolerate each other. That's why when I build my outdoor areas for mine it will only be for sitting outside with them while they are on their own individual play perches like they are inside. I just want mine to all be able to go outside sometimes to break up the monotony of being cooped up indoors. I can't get Roscoe or Leyla Belle to wear the harness, so they don't get to go outside like Ruby Jewel & Angel can.