PDA

View Full Version : Toe tapping 'too!

Mare
06-26-2013, 05:10 AM
This is Amigo doing...umm, something, not sure what..? Any guesses would be appreciated!
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
06-26-2013, 05:25 AM
We are in the bird, aka, kid left for college 3yrs. ago, room. This behavior is not always present, I will notice it sometimes when he is in his tree and sees something that no one else sees, not something flying. In the video he does see himself in a wall mirror and I believe he is reacting off of that but not sure.

ShellyBorg
06-26-2013, 06:28 AM
This video is private.

Sorry I cant see it.

Honesty
06-26-2013, 07:22 AM
I cant see it either:(

Pinkbirdy
06-26-2013, 11:31 AM
calcium deficiency ?

Mare
06-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Ok, it should work now,,,calcium deficiency??

Debra
06-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Don't know what he's doing. Doesn't look like it bothers him though. Cute video.

ShellyBorg
06-26-2013, 04:36 PM
It almost looks like part of a breeding dance.

Honesty
06-26-2013, 04:39 PM
It could be because he can see himself in the mirror and its some kind of warning sign. Its very cute though:) Amigo looks so healthy and such a brilliant white!

Debra
06-26-2013, 04:52 PM
It reminds me of Snowball's dancing to tell you the truth. Just not sure why he would do it when he sees something that piques his interest only though.

Pinkbirdy
06-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Sorry Mare ,I couldn't see the video this morning. I know toe tapping [a lot in Eclectus ] is a sign their lacking in something.Ha ha what ever hes doing he looks like its a very specific routine [and hes doing it for you:)

ShellyBorg
06-27-2013, 02:09 AM
"Hey Mom...Look at me MOM!...I am cute Mom!...Hey Mom are you watching this!"

Blancaej
06-27-2013, 02:33 AM
Very funny to watch him do that. Another dance just for you!

Mare
06-27-2013, 03:45 AM
This is something Justin stated in a previous post, where is he, by the way? I believe Amigo's behavior could be this reason or maybe being outside as much as he is, has allowed his natural instincts to find their way home. I've never been around another male U2 before so I don't know if this is the norm.

[The foot tapping is ok this is a wild trait of cockatoos you don't see much anymore, it seems amigo may be an older generation or he came from a very good breeder that breed back to wild blood every few years. This is said to be a dominance behavior they express but I believe it is just a way for communicating, I usually tap back what they are tapping just to be not rude lol, I've only seem a couple others do it and they were wild caughts. Very interesting he does such things!]

Turquoise
06-27-2013, 03:56 AM
To me it does seem to be maybe a mating ritual. I've never owned a Too, so I really don't know either.

I think what Terri was referring to is the thought on Eclectuses displaying toe tapping is from calcium deficiencies or possibly other health issues due to nutrition. My ekkie girl has done a mini toe tapping occassionally, but I observed in her it was when she was pissed & was using it as a stress meter so to speak. Like some folks will tap their nails on the table when annoyed. The books say ekkiie wing flipping is supposed to be nutritional in nature also, but again Leyla Belle only does it when she wants me to share what we are eating at the table. With her the behavior has a definite connection to what is going on in her environment.

JLcribber
06-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Ok, it should work now,,,calcium deficiency??

That is perfectly normal TOO behavior. Has nothing to do with calcium deficiency. This is a warning/wary type behavior they do when something causes them to put their guard up for whatever reason. It could be absolutely nothing but in their mind there is something to be wary of.

If you have more than one TOO you will notice that if one of them does it that all the others take notice and their crests go up and some of them will copy the behavior.

aliray
06-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Maybe he is trying out a new Knock Knock joke in his mind after he does in the big male too in the mirror

Mare
06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
John, I wasn't worried about him being deficient but thanks for the comeback. I figured this behavior was something 'toos do for the reasons you said. Do female U2s also do this?

Mare
06-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Alison, you made me think of a knock, knock joke that's rather fitting to the video.
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Wooden shoe.
Wooden shoe who?
Wooden shoe like to know?! Hee, hee!!

JLcribber
06-28-2013, 04:00 AM
John, I wasn't worried about him being deficient but thanks for the comeback. I figured this behavior was something 'toos do for the reasons you said. Do female U2s also do this?

My female is the one that does it the most. The male never did it at all until he saw the female doing it and copied her.

Mare
06-28-2013, 05:42 AM
Ok, wow,,that's interesting, these birds amaze me, they are pretty unique.
(I think, ?,) you guys tell me... I know there are many species of parrots out there and I have no clue about their behavior. I'm sure you all have unique creatures, also. :)