PDA

View Full Version : CPR for birds

Debra
06-25-2013, 12:33 PM
I hope no one ever has to use it but I thought this to be informative and hopefully can help save the lives of our little ones.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
06-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Good information, thanks Deb

Turquoise
06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
My Goodness Debra! That is absolutely awesome!! Thank you for sharing this with us. It is definitely something we all need to know how to do & can't find in any of the parrot books I have here at home. At least I can't remember reading this in any.

I have to go to classes once a year which is called in-service to be able to keep my job. We go through a course of CPR training for humans, so I at least know the basics in resuscitation. The amount of pressure & fingers used is very important to remember along with the breathes for a bird I can see. It is way different that for humans of course.

I have in years past tried to resuscitate my 12 yr. old Pekingese who fell over dead before my eyes and I have tried to resuscitate some of the baby rabbits my spoo has hurt to no avail. But you wouldn't believe the only critter I was ever able to bring back to life after it couldn't breathe while I was hand feeding it, was a baby Chinese Dragon lizard. The manager of PetsMart knew I kept all kinds of animals, so she called me one day explaining a customer had brought back a baby lizard they had previously bought from them. The customer said the lizard was sick and they didn't want it. She wanted to know if I would take it & try to get it to live as her supervisor told her they could not keep it with the others if it was sick.

I took the baby lizard in and figured it had an upper respiratory infection by the symptoms it was displaying. I took it to get meds & I had to hand feed it a liquid diet. I got a little too much in its mouth with the tiny eye dropper and it aspirated. I quickly took a cotton swab & scraped what I could out of its mouth, turned it upside down & got a little more out. Then I began gently thumping its chest and blew into its mouth. To my surprise it started to move & came back to life. Unfortunately it did not make it over the respiratory infection and died a couple of weeks later.

Honesty
06-25-2013, 02:36 PM
:thanks4sharingthumb This link Debra. Lets hope no-one ever needs to use it!

coltfire
11-01-2013, 01:55 PM
great link, the best thing i have is a stethoscope, and had to use it not long ago when i had to resus a baby budgie,, the stethoscope came in handy.