PDA

View Full Version : How to pull a blood feather.

Turquoise
06-24-2013, 08:01 AM
I saw this yesterday and thought it might come in handy for folks who are new to the keeping of parrots. I myself have never had to pull a blood feather and have only read how to go about it. I almost had to last year when Angel, my macaw with leg disabilities fell & broke one. Luckily it was nearing the safe stage & only bled a small bit. I watched it to make sure it was not going to need pulling and then before his bedtime I clipped the dangling part off with no further loss of blood.

If at all possible anyone who has a parrot break a blood feather, try to get your bird to an avian vet first before pulling it yourself. I know there are a few folks on here who are like me & live a long way from any avian vets. If it is an emergency you will have to pull it to keep your bird from bleeding to death. I hope this video will help you save the life of your feathered darling should it come to that extreme. This video does have some good information and for some of us like me, watching how it is done is much easier than reading about it.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
06-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Thank you for posting this De'Andrea. I think alot of members will find this very useful.