PDA

View Full Version : Can biting ,screaming parrots be changed ?

Pinkbirdy
06-24-2013, 01:35 AM
I think they can :th_biggrin: I wonder if it would work for plucking too? I am no expert ,but just took in that Goffin 'Pearl" .Who I was afraid of subjecting my family to. I got Pearl off of craigslist [I saw him 4 times [I think hes a boy] I at one point was trying to help the owner think of ways to keep him . Everytime I saw this bird he was trying to fly and attack me ,the husband and the daughter.He also screamed most of the time. The women kept calling and begging me to take him. The only reason I did was ,he did step up on a stick [of course he didn't want to but did. ] I thought because of that there might be hope of things turning around. This was a Goffin that had gone wrong and was ruling the house.I had 2 back up plans if things really couldn't work out with him [I also told the women I would let her know if this happened. Totally changing his environment has worked. Trust me hes no peach and were quickly past the honeymoon stage. But he hasn't flown to attack anyone [even the birds] now that hes finally in with them . He hasn't bit me and is surprisingly quite gentle.But there was the screaming issue .I wish JT was on here because what he says does work. This bird yells when he wants something ,hes trying to let you know . So ignoring him is not the answer. Ive figured out 3 times he was yelling about things ,what he wanted.Why own a Too and go to this much trouble.Pearl is a riot he jumps across the top of the cage to retrieve paper balls and throw them to me ,Loves to dance , does that somersault trick on a stick and yells yay!!! at the top . Barks ,trys to talk ,shows you his toys . This bird just needed someone to play with him and establish you were not afraid. So its amazing what a different bird Pearl is now. So if anyone hears of biting ,screaming birds . Their not a lost cause and maybe we can help get them to where they need to be and on the right track.

Blancaej
06-24-2013, 01:56 AM
Terri - I am so glad things are going well with Pearl. I remember when you were visiting her (uh him) and was debating taking him in. You are doing a great job with him. I do think most birds can be rehabilitated. I know JT has a technique he uses to help with screaming. I really wish he would return to the forum. He is missed! Pearl sounds like a riot! You were the perfect place for him. Great job!

Mare
06-24-2013, 03:38 AM
I'm so happy that Pearl is working with you, Terri! Re-homed Goffin's, in my one and only experience, can be challenging. If you learn to read them, they can be moody, you're doing great!

Turquoise
06-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Since I've never owned a too, I don't really have anything constructive to add here. I just wanted to tell you I am glad that Pearl is coming around to you. He obviously likes how yo relate to him.

Honesty
06-24-2013, 07:45 AM
You are doing really well with Pearl Terri. I am really pleased for you :) I know too's can be quite challenging as can Amazons!

Debra
06-24-2013, 01:12 PM
I was just wondering about him. I'm so glad things have worked out so well for the both of you!