PDA

View Full Version : Elephant under the rug

Pinkbirdy
06-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Interesting title huh :th_biggrin: We have a big old house and there are mice in the area I keep birds. Its cleaned up daily [ sweeping ,cleaning cages ,pretty kept up on ] But all this food im sure attracts them.So I know this is going to be a way of life :th_biggrin:Today I told Dave [we are going to be mouse hunters ]. He said what do you mean [WE]. I have to set and empty the traps .Hes right [he he ] I guess I want to know if [any of the females ] and if you do [Im so impressed ] you have bucked up and are able to discard of the dead mice. I know im being a baby about this. Im trying to talk myself into it. I figure if I can ride a motorcycle and own a Macaw .Whats the big deal :th_LOL:

Mare
06-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Ohhh, I don't envy you on this one! Spiders, I have no problem with, dead rodents...:nightmare:, I think I would have to be extra-special nice to hubby!

alnoble89
06-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Nope I won't touch them. They are on my oh no list with spiders, unidentifiable bugs, snakes, and other things that are creepy.

Pinkbirdy
06-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Ha Ha , Im glad there is others. So I wont be roped into this. :)

ShellyBorg
06-24-2013, 12:41 AM
I can touch or pick up anything alive or dead......except potato bugs! I will not touch or go near those things!

Blancaej
06-24-2013, 12:55 AM
I am in a 200 year old house and we definatley have mice issues. I've had to dispose of them now and then but try to get hubby to do it whenever possible!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
06-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Shelly, I agree! Potato bugs are scary! My last trip to our place in Baja, a few months ago, I discovered mice in the house! Never before had I seen mice, roaches yes, mice, no. My husband wasn't with me but we talked on the phone, daily, he wanted me to set traps before I left. The house stays empty for months at a time and I really hope I'm not the next person to walk into it! It's going to smell like dead bodies and the corpses are going to have to be dealt with. Nope, I'm going to make SURE I'm not the next one down there!

Pinkbirdy
06-24-2013, 01:41 AM
I can touch or pick up anything alive or dead......except potato bugs! I will not touch or go near those things! Shelly I knew you would be the tough one :)

alnoble89
06-24-2013, 02:50 AM
I didn't know what potato bugs were so I googled them and I think I will have nightmares now. Those would be in my unidentifiable bug category.

Turquoise
06-24-2013, 03:34 AM
Oh My Goodness!! I am laughing uncontrollably over this!:th_LOL: I too am one of those who is not afraid of mice, rats, any other rodents, bugs, snakes, or whatever you could possibly think of that most females & some men are afraid of. In fact, I own 6 snakes, one of which is 7 ft long, my Colombian boa constrictor. I have had some that were much longer, but I did find them a new home to protect my parrots from a possible accidental death if they had gotten out. I also have 2 pet rats and 2 chinchillas, so I best not have a problem with rodents. As a child living on my grandparent's farm I chased anything that moved trying to catch it to make a pet out of it.

I must admit the only thing I used to be terrified of was spiders and I still do not like wolf spiders when they are determined to fall into my bathtub! I used to have to get my hubby or son to kill them, I wouldn't even get near the dead body when they were carrying it outside. I would not allow them to throw it away in the trash can. I didn't want it coming back to life & haunting me. I lost my fear of spiders when I began keeping tarantulas 3 yrs. ago. Don't ask me why, but I was in our local pet shop looking at a female Rose hair T. Call it a mid-life crisis if you will, but I came home with that tarantula in a small cardboard box that day, a 65 mile trip!! After that I became intrigued by tarantulas and I ordered a few slings. I have 4 different kinds in all now, but I still will not pick one up. When I have to do anything in their enclosures, I use a long clear tube for fluorescent bulbs I shoo them into & cap the end off til I put them back. Hubby used to use the "If you get a snake, I'm going to get a spider." He was very surprised when I showed him Tessa T. Tarantula, my first T!

My home has an all metal exterior, doors, walls, roof, framing. It is made like a shop & is sitting on a slab foundation, so I rarely get mice in the house. We have been having a bad drought in Texas for several yrs. now & this winter I had mice running rampant in my ceiling! My ceilings are the drop type with the tiles suspended by the metal strips. I haven't found any holes for them to come in, so I decided they squeezed under the doors between the bottom & the floor. It does have a small gap. My next door neighbors who only come out on weekends when the lake is full so they can go fishing, had not been out all winter. Boy did they have a surprise when they came out a couple of months ago & found mice had destroyed everything in their house! They even had their mattresses outside trying to clean the mouse smell out of them. :th_hehe:

Honesty
06-24-2013, 07:49 AM
I am totally with Amanda on this one! Spiders, bugs, mice etc are definitely on my "NO" list :th_LOL:

Pinkbirdy
06-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Oh My Goodness!! I am laughing uncontrollably over this!:th_LOL: I too am one of those who is not afraid of mice, rats, any other rodents, bugs, snakes, or whatever you could possibly think of that most females & some men are afraid of. In fact, I own 6 snakes, one of which is 7 ft long, my Colombian boa constrictor. I have had some that were much longer, but I did find them a new home to protect my parrots from a possible accidental death if they had gotten out. I also have 2 pet rats and 2 chinchillas, so I best not have a problem with rodents. As a child living on my grandparent's farm I chased anything that moved trying to catch it to make a pet out of it.

I must admit the only thing I used to be terrified of was spiders and I still do not like wolf spiders when they are determined to fall into my bathtub! I used to have to get my hubby or son to kill them, I wouldn't even get near the dead body when they were carrying it outside. I would not allow them to throw it away in the trash can. I didn't want it coming back to life & haunting me. I lost my fear of spiders when I began keeping tarantulas 3 yrs. ago. Don't ask me why, but I was in our local pet shop looking at a female Rose hair T. Call it a mid-life crisis if you will, but I came home with that tarantula in a small cardboard box that day, a 65 mile trip!! After that I became intrigued by tarantulas and I ordered a few slings. I have 4 different kinds in all now, but I still will not pick one up. When I have to do anything in their enclosures, I use a long clear tube for fluorescent bulbs I shoo them into & cap the end off til I put them back. Hubby used to use the "If you get a snake, I'm going to get a spider." He was very surprised when I showed him Tessa T. Tarantula, my first T!

My home has an all metal exterior, doors, walls, roof, framing. It is made like a shop & is sitting on a slab foundation, so I rarely get mice in the house. We have been having a bad drought in Texas for several yrs. now & this winter I had mice running rampant in my ceiling! My ceilings are the drop type with the tiles suspended by the metal strips. I haven't found any holes for them to come in, so I decided they squeezed under the doors between the bottom & the floor. It does have a small gap. My next door neighbors who only come out on weekends when the lake is full so they can go fishing, had not been out all winter. Boy did they have a surprise when they came out a couple of months ago & found mice had destroyed everything in their house! They even had their mattresses outside trying to clean the mouse smell out of them. :th_hehe: Ha Ha De'Andrea you put me to shame [What am I crying about ?] Im not going to let Dave see your reply he he. This was his idea thinking this crazy bird collecting thing must be a women thing [of course hes wrong]. I actually enjoy seeing people get the bird bug like me . Well anyways this thread was his wondering if the females had gotten over their issues and can take care of the dead mice [part of parrot keeping you know ,HE SAYS :)

Carefree Birdee
06-24-2013, 10:45 PM
I can deal with the mouse in the house but only a dead and unmoving one! I put on rubber gloves and use tongs to remove the dead critter. :th_biggrin:

It is the crawly Wood Ticks that freak me out....gah!