PDA

View Full Version : Hiring help concern

Pinkbirdy
06-23-2013, 06:28 PM
I keep tossing the idea around of getting a cleaning lady [not for my birds] . I have a concern about hiring in people due to the interest in how much money I have in birds . Ive never even thought of this until I had furniture delivered .One of the guys kept making a big deal about what expensive birds I have . Now im hesitant on anything [I would die if anything happened to my birds . Anyone experience this or thoughts on it ? In my area I don't know of anyone having birds like me. Im sure people couldn't help but talk about it . Im kind of crazy with these 12 birds.

Blancaej
06-23-2013, 06:32 PM
That is a tough one. I would say if you really want someone to hire to clean I would talk to friends and see if they can recommend someone they use and trust. Just like birds, anything can be taken in your home so you want to use someone you know others have never had issues with. Birds would be a little tougher to steal in either case. You could always install cameras in your bird room if you are that concerned and make sure they know it. That will surely hinder any tampering! Hope that helps!

merlinsmom13
06-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Maybe using an employment agency that provides bonded employees? A bond only ensures that your property will be replaced, but it stands to reason that the insurance companys would do a thorough background check. Does Angies list have listings in your area?

coltfire
06-23-2013, 07:02 PM
i know how you feel, every time i put one of my birds up for sale and have people come here to pick them up, im always worried about them returning when im not home, so now any time any one comes i have the dog in the house and get my partner to hold her, which she hates and growls, but it scares who ever is here and i always say go straight through as she does not like people, the last one i sold the guy asked if i would bring the bird out side as he was to scared of my dog, good girl jess

spiritbird
06-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Security is important when you have expensive birds. I would be concerned about the comment the mover made.
Good idea to go by word of mouth or agency for a cleaning person. Do you have your birds micro chipped for ID?

plax
06-23-2013, 07:59 PM
If you go with the video camera option, use at least two cameras and make sure that each has a separate reserve power source. One camera can then be concealed (in the wall or in an object) in case a would-be thief decides to disable the not-so-concealed one you've made them aware of. If one camera is easy to spot by scanning the room, many thieves will assume it's the only one that exists.

josiesmom
06-23-2013, 09:29 PM
A video camera is a good idea; however, the first thought I had is to pad lock the cage. Josie's cage cannot be removed from the room it was put together in, so if I put a lock on the cage, I think that by the time someone would break in, she would be crazed and they would never get a hand on her. Just a thought.

Pinkbirdy
06-23-2013, 11:12 PM
No nobodies micro chipped, Im going to look into the security cameras though.

plax
06-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Also, be mindful that bolt cutters can easily lop off a padlock or sever cage bars.

Mare
06-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Gosh, what a terrible thought! I've never really thought about someone coming in to steal my birds, but you are right, it can happen!

ShellyBorg
06-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Good luck to any one stealing mine. It would be a blood bath as the monsters would rip apart any would be bird snatchers!

I would not worry to much. Most people who are in the cleaning business are pretty dependable as long as they have good references. You do not want to be known as a thief when your job hood depends on going into others houses and touching there things. :D

plax
06-24-2013, 01:11 AM
Good luck to any one stealing mine. It would be a blood bath as the monsters would rip apart any would be bird snatchers!

I would not worry to much. Most people who are in the cleaning business are pretty dependable as long as they have good references. You do not want to be known as a thief when your job hood depends on going into others houses and touching there things. :DShelly: My understanding is that the serious bird thieves throw towels over the birds and then shove them in heavy bags. In such cases there's little opportunity for the birds to rip anyone up :(. I've always been a proponent of extra security for our beloved fids.

alnoble89
06-24-2013, 01:14 AM
I would just recommend being very careful. It makes me nervous for people to know that I have my parrots because there are some shady people in this world that only look to make a quick buck. I hope you can find someone you can trust. If you attend church or any organization where you know the people and can trust them that may be the place to look as well.

Turquoise
06-24-2013, 03:54 AM
I don't have anyone to clean my home (boy do I wished I could afford one!), so I can't help you with advice on finding dependable help. Where I live which is 16 miles from town, no one keeps large parrots & most can't see why I would be crazy enough to keep them. I live in a slowed down version of the rest of the country out here. They aren't a big ticket item around these parts for stealing or selling. Copper wiring & aluminum siding is the choice of thieves to steal now.

My dogs are not the mean viscous types, (toy & standard poodles, shih tzus & a sheepadoodle) but they do bark & sound like they would rip a person to shreds behind closed doors. A couple of them wold bite if need be, they are not friendly toward strangers. When I am not home, they stay in the house more so because I don't want anyone trying to steal them.

Greenwing
06-28-2013, 03:22 AM
I use a audible alarm when I leave.. And have cameras throughout the house and yard.. But the biggest deterrent are the signs stating " surveillance equipment in use"

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD