PDA

View Full Version : Velcro or independent?

JadeC
06-23-2013, 06:12 PM
I got my baby caique a few days ago and since its the weekend, I've been letting him get settled in and comfortable with me. This morning he has been playing on me and spending a lot of time with me. My question is...

I've been trying to let him play by himself in the cage so he won't be attached to me 24/7 when he gets older. He fights going back in the cage and tries to get out any chance he gets. I've read training guides for this but he just tries to fly to me any time I put him down. Should I be more strict with him or should I just let him be like this? I work M-F 7-3:30 so he won't be in his cage for too long while I'm at work.

What do you do with your bird(s)? Out of cage time is important but I don't want him on me every second.

Pinkbirdy
06-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Have set times out with him [or he will turn into a monster] .Make a big positive deal putting him back [try a treat] Hes a baby [maybe millet] . You want him to enjoy playing by himself. Babies are more of beggers .You just have to teach him .

Blancaej
06-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Definitely make sure you are giving him time on his own. He needs to learn to play by himself and not rely on you for constant attention. Bad habits could form if you allow that. I agree with Terri, treat him when he goes in his cage so he has something to look forward to and he see's it as a positive experience. Good luck!

JadeC
06-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. During the week after I get home from work, should I have set times when he's out but playing by himself?

Blancaej
06-24-2013, 02:00 AM
A routine and schedule is always good for your bird. But make sure to change it up now and then so they don't get so used to the routine that you can't change it without them protesting. I have a general routine for my birds but change it up a few times a month so they don't mind change so much. Quincy has been through so many changes in the last 13 years that he adjusts rather quickly!

Turquoise
06-24-2013, 02:54 AM
Great advice already from Terri & Blanca. So I will tell you what my experience with mine have been. All of my large parrots are weaned babies, so I have been where you are right now. With Roscoe & Angel it wasn't too hard getting them into my routine of being out for up to 1 1/2 hrs in the mornings before I go to sleep for work. I work at night, so mine have had to adjust to a different lifestyle than most. Then when I get up at 2:00pm I let them out for the 1 1/2 hrs I am getting ready for work for 4 days. On my days off, they don't really have a set schedule, so they have adapted to whatever I can spare depending on what I will be doing that day or when I feel like taking a nap during the day. I have had the boys for 1 1/2 yrs now & they are fine with it all. I did start them out with the treat system in the beginning because I needed them to go in without troubles on work days.

Leyla belle, my ekkie was a little more harder headed about it. She wasn't completely weaned when she came home at 6 1/2 months old. She ate all kinds of thing really well, but thought she needed the formula. When I fed it to her she would take a bite or two, then she would attack the spoon I was using. A few mins. later she would scream for me to hand feed her again. She did try my patients, but we got through it & she learned the routine of in & out with no troubles except she still will not step up no matter what I do until she lands on the floor. She will always be that way I have decided and I accept her decision to make me bend down to pick her up. She doesn't like to be held. She is a Diva with attitude, so her play perch for out time is left in front of her cage until I need to close her in.

Ruby Jewel, my GW was babied by her breeder and was allowed out all day long. her breeder held her a lot also & really didn't want to let her leave. She didn't realize just how much she would miss the big red girl. She didn't wean until she was almost 8 months old and she paced the floor of her enclosure wanting out all day the first two weeks here. I haven't had her home for long, just since the last of April. I did have to break her heart & ignore her when I couldn't take her out to teach her she had to follow my out time rules. She was also fed outside on her play perch & I have to feed mine in the cages. She did adjust and it really made going back in easier since she expects fresh food to be waiting for her when i take her back to her home. She has bonded to me and she accepts my routine like the others. With her I can't use the pistachio treat in the bowl like I can with Roscoe & Angel. They are both greedy and love the things. If they go in without any fussing, I allow them to pick their own nut from the treat bowl. Ruby Jewel loves grapes, so I put 3 in my hand when I take her back to her enclosure & let her see me put them in her fresh food bowl. She is ok with this treat as her reward of going in without any fuss.

I know my ideas may not work with your little one since they are different species. I just wanted to let you know that they will adjust to just about any schedule you need them to. And they don't usually suffer too much ill effects from not staying on a rigid schedule.

JadeC
06-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Thank you Turquoise :) I don't have much time to spend with him in the morning, but that's when he's the most playful and snuggley.. Maybe he'll nap during the day and enjoy his time out at night. :) I guess I'll just have to stop caving into his cuteness when he wants to come out. Haha He doesn't step down when I try to make him. My last bird was much easier than this!!! Haha I guess we'll learn together :P

Thanks everyone!