PDA

View Full Version : Macaws, Breeders & Weight Loss?? Oh My!

Blancaej
06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
As many of you know, I adopted Savannah two months ago and things couldn't be better! I am in love with macaws! I still would like to get a b & g at some point. I had an opportunity to rehome one that was listed on PF last month, but in all honesty it was a little too soon. I talked to my husband about it and he told me 2 was enough. I was feeling like after that conversation that I would never be able to adopt another bird!

But I talked to him more about it and he would like to adopt another bird if we can get a baby from a breeder. He hasn't had the most pleasant experience with Quincy being bonded to me and being a biter. I also had Quincy 3 years before we met. So he figures that if we get a baby the kids would enjoy the experience of adopting a bird when it's an egg and watching it grow through the eyes of the breeder and if it's well socialized everyone should be able to handle it. Of course, we know there is no guarantee on the handling part but figure it is worth a shot. Not to say if the right rehome came along at the right time, we wouldn't consider that still as well. I am still hopeful that my hubby can handle Savannah at some point, but it is going to take time and patience by both of them. Quincy and my hubby have a love/hate relationship. I don't see that changing anytime soon. LOL!

We don't want to get another bird right away as I want to give Savannah time to settle in and I want to save for the next baby! I wanted to know if any of you can recommend a good b&g breeder in the north east if possible. If not, an excellent breeder further away is fine if they ship with care or are within driving distance. I am looking at my options so I can do some planning. I'm hoping to have another bird by 2015. I don't have a lot of choices up my way so I wanted to see what all of you may be able to recommend for a good breeder.

On a different note, I have found a really unique way to EARN my next bird. Since Jan. 2012 I have lost 53 lbs. I still have at least another 48 to go. Since I adopted Savannah I have not done well with continuing my weight loss. I've actually gained a little back. I have been so focused on her that I haven't been doing what I need to get the rest of my weight off. So I am going to use getting another bird as an incentive to lose the rest of my weight! I am estimating about $1500 to purchase a b&g (give or take) So for every pound I lose (once I get back to my weight before I adopted Savannah, which could take a couple of weeks) I will earn $32 toward my new baby. Once I've lost 48 lbs I will have earned enough to purchase a b&g! I think this is a great way to show myself that no matter what is going on in my life, I CAN lose the weight and keep it off! Plus, if I lose 5lbs a month, I can comfortably put that amount away to save for our next bird.

Anyway, I thought I would share my exciting news with everyone. I know it's a couple of years away, but it's still exciting none the less! I'm hoping some of you have some good recommendations for breeders. Fingers crossed! :th_biggrin:

Blancaej
06-21-2013, 02:10 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions of a good breeder??

plax
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
That's a very cool incentive/benefit system you've established, Blanca... I'm sure you'll attain your goals as far as weight loss and your sought after baby B&G :). I wish I had a recommendation for you as far as breeders go, but I don't. Hopefully someone will respond and provide some good feedback on that for you though.

Blancaej
06-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Thanks Tony for the support. :)

I actually managed to get a few good leads on breeders. It's aways away but it will be here before I know it!

Sorry I wasn't on much today. My daughter is having a slumber party. I've been entertaining 5 7 year old all day. I am beat! Lol!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

plax
06-22-2013, 02:07 AM
It's okay Blanca. Family time is important! I'm happy to hear about your leads :)

Rescued
06-22-2013, 02:40 AM
I am not knowledgeable about breeders, I know your hubby is set on a baby, I hope you both stay open to the idea of a re-home. B and G have the highest pet population, so there are always lots looking for homes.... I hope your hubby works with Savannah and they can bond, that may also change his mind a bit. Good luck.

Blancaej
06-22-2013, 02:53 AM
I figured if he gets to the point he can handle her he may consider letting me adopt a rehome.:D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
06-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi Blanca, I think your weight loss incentive is an awesome idea!! :th_biggrin: We all need that extra push to get into shape/lose weight or whatever reason we have to get fit. heaven knows I need all the incentive I can muster up to get into shape & lose the 30 lbs I've unceremoniously put on in the last 7 yrs. I have lost a few lbs lately & I can already tell a difference when I go up & down stairs all night long at work. My incentive right now is my health. At my age I know if I don't lose the extra weight I will be spending money at the docs & I hate that idea. In fact, I have to be forced into going to see doctors. I'd much rather spend those big bucks on birds.:th_LOL:

OK, I wished I could help you with breeders, but I live a long way from you. The two excellent breeders I have gotten my macaws from do not raise B&Gs, so that doesn't help you. I can tell you that even if you get a weaned baby which is what all mine have been (I have my reasons why I chose them) that your hubby will have to still really work at a relationship with it. What I mean is that my hubby could pick up & hold Roscoe & Ruby Jewel with no issues from either until they settled in & chose me as their favorite human. Hubby did not work very hard at a close relationship with either one & then when he tried to pick them up again, he got nipped. Not a true bite (if that were to happen, he'd never touch one again) just a warning nip from them. Now if one gets off their play perch & they can't see me, he can go pick them up & put them back. They want off of his arm in a hurry tho', so it really is just the old cliche ' any port in a storm' sort of thing.

I hope you can find the B&G that is waiting for you somewhere when you are ready for one. I like that you are planning ahead and will be ready for one when that one you know is the right one comes along in your life.:th_hug8:

Blancaej
06-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks De'Andrea for the support! :th_biggrin: I want to get it off so I will be around to see my kids grow up. Plus, I prefer living, I'm kinda partial to it ;) , so I need to get my butt in gear and lose the rest of this weight. LOL!

I do understand that a baby makes no guarantees of my hubby being able to handle it for long. But I think if he can start out holding the bird he may be more willing to keep it up and spend time with him/her. At least he will try, as it stands now, he won't with Quincy and is still hesitant with Savannah. I am not giving up on a rehome yet. If we can find a good fit, we still may consider it. As we all know, you can't make a bird doing anything it doesn't want too! :th_biggrin: But if it makes my hubby more comfortable, I'm willing to go that route!

ShellyBorg
06-22-2013, 06:10 PM
I think a baby that is well socialized with the whole family would be a great idea. Now here in CA B&Gs are running $750 to $1000 and we have some great breeders. There is even on a couple hours from me that flies her babies in flight harness and you get a full flighted parrot trained to wear a harness and fly on a flight tether!

On weight loss we should open a thread here in the open forum on support! I am down 50 lbs and have 100 left to go! So I now how hard it is to lose. It would be great to have support for others who have parrots in there lives also!

Blancaej
06-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Shelly - Could you PM me info about that breeder that is a couple hours from you. I would love to look into it anyway! I love the idea of having a bird used to a harness and flight trained!

I think that is an awesome idea to open a thread, maybe under off topic or something. What do you think? Congrats on the 50lbs! :th_chickendance: The more support we can get along our journey, they easier it is to get through the tougher times!