PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have a Guardian Appointed...........

spiritbird
06-19-2013, 12:58 PM
for you bird or birds when you can no longer take care of them? This is very important even if you are a young person.

I recently had to pass my TAG on to her guardian and it went very smoothly. Taking care of parakeets is so much easier for an elderly person like me. I receive photos and videos on a regular basis and know she is well taken care of.

Some of you may remember Rosie. She is now with Gretchen and her spouse Lance receiving love and more love.

merlinsmom13
06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
I have no one :( I do have a 7 yo niece that I've tried to get interested in Merlin, but her mother is determined that doesn't happen, even if she's an adult :mad:

Blancaej
06-19-2013, 04:42 PM
It's taken me 13 years, but we are finally having a will done! My husband's best friend is willing to take both Savannah and Quincy if something happens to us before my daughter is an adult. And my daughter is showing an interest in taking them over herself if she is old enough and I pass before the birds do. My hubby can't handle them, so it's pretty much if something happends to me.

We had our wills pretty much set to go a few weeks back and was about to finalize it when we adopted Savannah. LOL! Luckily the wills were not finalized so we were able to add her without an additional fee to make the change!

Rescued
06-19-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't have an appointed guardian for any of my animals yet, I am still young, but I have thought of it extensively. I don't have anyone in my life capable of taking care of my group, whole or separate. I guess I could set something up with the local parrot rescue. They do a great job, maybe if I can set up a trust..... My dogs are another story, I guess the bullies could go back to their breeder, I adopted them as retired breeders and keep in contact with her. God, the rest is just chaos, I guess I better stick around forever......

ShellyBorg
06-19-2013, 05:21 PM
This is something I really need to do.

spiritbird
06-19-2013, 06:18 PM
I am having a light bulb moment here. I know guardians are very hard to find. If members here live fairly near to eachother what if anyone willing to be a guardian would speak up? That way the people would have time to get to know eachother. That is how I worked it when I was on PF with then called Rio Mom or Gretchen.

Any opinions here??

Blancaej
06-19-2013, 07:13 PM
I've actually thought of that. Especially if I get anymore birds! LOL! My husband's best friend will end up with a zoo! So I have considered asking those I am close with on the forums to become guardians. I don't need to think about it yet, but I think it is definitely a possibility.

Turquoise
06-24-2013, 04:50 AM
I don't have a guardian for my birds either and I have no family members, what's left of them, who want any of my menagerie. I am not a young person & it is a concern. I live in an area where I don't know anyone who keeps parrots or would even be willing to take them when I can't or am no longer alive. All I know is that I will have to rely on the local animal rescue center (this is not the animal shelter, it is a no-kill rescue) I donate monthly to for finding someplace they could send my babies. This rescue is just for dogs & cats, but they do get in horses & donkeys and find foster homes for all of them. I figure they could find a rescue someplace that would take my birds. I only know of one active rescue in my state at the present time and the last time I checked on their site, they were not accepting any more birds due to the illness of the creator of the place. This place is a little over 200 miles from me, so I can't just go visit it.

It is sad, but I remember reading a post from a member of a small forum I belong to that told about considering having her birds euthanized when she dies. She said she didn't want them to go to an abusive home. I don't agree with her thought on this. I guess she feels it is the only safe thing for hers, some of which are already re-homes with a lot of baggage.