PDA

View Full Version : Fires in California, getting close to home

Mare
06-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Went to Father's Day dinner tonight with lots of family and my nieces hubby is a 'hot shot' fire fighter, he just got home yesterday from being on the job for 21days, straight. While we are all sitting there, at the restaraunt, 4-5 fire trucks speed by, sirens blaring, heading to the town just north of us, about 30 miles away and I ask Nick if he has a chance of being called and, yes, he does. The winds are blowing towards us and we are all on high alert. We are prepared to evacuate, if needed. I can smell the smoke, my son and his friends are heading this way, just in case needed.
We live in an area that is very remote with steep hillsides. My main concern would be the animals. I'm being positive. Talk to you in the morn.

Mare
06-17-2013, 04:37 AM
I think life is good. The wind stopped and we are keeping up on the news. We have an amazing fire fighting system here in Cali but there are so many fires right now that they are spread thin. Our fighters are sent all over the country when needed and I just hope we have some close, when needed!

This is really sick. There is an arson loose in the community where my niece lives and they have had 17 fires in the past 2 weeks! Her husband has been out fighting fires, elsewhere, while she is at home with their 18mo. old baby, worried to pieces!

Turquoise
06-17-2013, 05:05 AM
Hope all the fires are put out before they do any more harm. I do hope your niece's hubby stays safe while having to fight these fires and the wind stays calm so you don't have to evacuate.

That is so sad & hateful that someone can start fires with no concern for human or animal life. It infuriates me to no end to know that the majority of the fires in the mountains every year are avoidable. I always think about all the animals & birds who lose their lives and the lives of their babies due to the uncaring acts of these useless people!!

Keep us informed when you can. I will be thinking about you and sending good karma that you, your family & critters stay safe. :th_hug8:

Honesty
06-17-2013, 07:42 AM
I hope all the fires stop soon Mare and that you all stay safe! I will be thinking of you and keep us updated when you can :th_hug8:

spiritbird
06-17-2013, 10:08 AM
:concern: Hope you and critters are safe.

Debra
06-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Praying for you and your family. Special prayers for the fire fighter Heros that are risking their lives.

aliray
06-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Mare be safe. Praying for you

coltfire
06-17-2013, 01:39 PM
my thoughts and prays are with you and all ur animals , stay safe Mare and please when possible keep us updated876 875

Mare
06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
The fire headed east, rather than south, so I think we are ok. Thanks for the wishes, all. East means towards Yosemite Nat. Park. They have closed the Park in the past, due to fires. I believe the rule is, a fire in a National Park cannot be extinguished, it has to be allowed to run its course. Do you know if that is still true?

Fires where we live can be devastating due to the terrain. My husband has always made sure the grass is cut back. The fire dept. actually flies the areas to make sure everyone is in compliance with their codes.

Debra
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
My parents were in Yosemite 5 years ago and had to evacuate due to the fires. Not a fun experience. We had no way to communicate with them so we had no idea if they were caught or not. They made it home just fine thankfully.

Carefree Birdee
06-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Oh my goodness Mare....I am glad your area has been spared. I am sure you are grateful to not have to evacuate this time around.

I hear about all these fires out West....so many homes destroyed. I had heard this morning about a couple in Colorado that said their home was spared but when they were allowed back they found their home looted! I just can't understand how some people can do that to others in times of crisis.

ShellyBorg
06-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Glad your OK Mare!

Mare
06-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Debra, I remember that year and am also happy to hear that your folks got out safely! My son just called me, he is heading to DMV in this town where the fire is and asked me to call my friend who lives close to where this fire is flaring to see if she needs his help with anything, (I swear, I have the greatest kid), I called her and they are on notice, they have their hoses going all around the yard and their sprinklers going on the roof. The fire is heading this way again. I was thinking my friend was safe but the wind has shifted and is picking up.

Bokkapooh
06-18-2013, 02:35 AM
Please stay safe and try to keep Amigo inside right now.

How very scary and so sad:(

And I had no idea that national parks are so unimportant and its allowed to have fired destroy them. No wonder animals move into human territory. We destroy their forests and maks room for humanity and want animals to stay in their territory. But how can they when a fire destroys it?:(

plax
06-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Please stay safe, Mare! Have your evacuation plan ready to execute just in case. Wild fires are so potentially devastating :(. Keep us posted!

Blancaej
06-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Keep safe Mare. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the fires will stay away.

Bokka - fires are actually beneficial to forests. Controlled fires are set regularly in forests to help with natural growth.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Bokkapooh
06-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Keep safe Mare. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the fires will stay away.

Bokka - fires are actually beneficial to forests. Controlled fires are set regularly in forests to help with natural growth.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I dont believe fires are at all beneficial. And regularly in a forest to help "natural growth". Now I just do not believe this at all.

So many animals lives die and so much trees and wildlife die. I just do not think setting fire to forest help the forest at all.

:(

coltfire
06-18-2013, 09:07 PM
that is the down side to forest fires , but with out them the forest would not survive, it would chock it self to death , so unfortunately yes we do need forest fires for re growth, and it is a shame that so many animals die, the plants and trees re grow, all the new seeds from a lot of the tree's in forest need fire to open them up so they can grow into tree's ....... Mare how are the fires near you and are you still safe.

Mare
06-19-2013, 04:04 AM
I talked to my friend today, she has been evacuated. Thankfully, she had no horses that needed to be moved. Her daughter lives on the safe side of the fire, so she is there. The fire is now 40% contained.
Thanks for your concern but I think this one will miss us. We are always on edge in the summer months during fire season, this has been an especially dry year so the hazard goes way up. I have my bird carriers on stand-by, so, not too worried about that and yes, Mercedez I've been keeping Amigo in. The air this morning was so smokey that I could barely see the next ridge. We have six horses and they are what I would be the most afraid for.

Bokkapooh
06-19-2013, 11:32 AM
that is the down side to forest fires , but with out them the forest would not survive, it would chock it self to death , so unfortunately yes we do need forest fires for re growth, and it is a shame that so many animals die, the plants and trees re grow, all the new seeds from a lot of the tree's in forest need fire to open them up so they can grow into tree's ....... Mare how are the fires near you and are you still safe.

Maybe once in many many years a forest needs a fire. But honestly, they really don't. The forests survived thousands of years without us SETTING fire to one intentionally.

They don't NEED it. Nature doesn't NEED us to control it. This I just cannot believe at all. Forests don't choke on themselves.

There is just no way I'm going to believe JUST the Californian Forests "NEED" us to set it ablaze or it'll choke itself and die when NO OTHER forest in the world need it.

Bokkapooh
06-19-2013, 11:37 AM
I talked to my friend today, she has been evacuated. Thankfully, she had no horses that needed to be moved. Her daughter lives on the safe side of the fire, so she is there. The fire is now 40% contained.
Thanks for your concern but I think this one will miss us. We are always on edge in the summer months during fire season, this has been an especially dry year so the hazard goes way up. I have my bird carriers on stand-by, so, not too worried about that and yes, Mercedez I've been keeping Amigo in. The air this morning was so smokey that I could barely see the next ridge. We have six horses and they are what I would be the most afraid for.

I hope everything stays OK :th_hug8:

Are the horses fairing well?

ShellyBorg
06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Hope all is well this morning. The fire planes are up here already (I live in the flight path) flying. Need to find out where the fire is. Got to love CA!

Mare
06-20-2013, 06:57 AM
My husband and I drove up to Davis this morn, three hours each way, near Sacramento and coming back up into the foothills we could still see the smoke from the fires pluming. It's getting under control but the air quality is terrible! Shelly I hope you all are safe!
I feel for all the critters that are displaced, or worse, burned to death. Over 1900 acres have already gone down.
Mercedez, fires have always happened naturally, throughout history, due to natural causes like from lightening storms and from what I have learned, they do help a forest to renew it's growth. Some pine cones won't even open to release their seeds unless they hit a super high temp that only a fire can provide. I think this is why these types of fires are allowed to burn in our National Parks.
I think that if a natural occurrence like that happens , it is part of life. Man made fires need to be extinguished, no matter where they occur.

ShellyBorg
06-20-2013, 07:10 AM
The problem we are seeing all over the west is not to long ago they would put out all fires as fast as they could. This caused a HUGE build up in fuel and was actually choking some areas of the forest with over growth. After a fire has gone through the area is so much healthier. More food for the wildlife and a better balance in the forest.