PDA

View Full Version : This is Lily, our pet/wild turkey :)

Mare
06-15-2013, 03:36 PM
This past winter brought at least 40 wild turkeys to our yard. They were doing their mating dances, fights and posturing for several weeks then most of them disappeared. I named this one Lily, she remained this whole time. She eats what the horses slop over their grain buckets, leftover parrot food and scraps of compost. I throw her grain when I'm feeding the horses and she comes right up to my feet to get it. I suppose she is a young bird and didn't breed this season but we now have 7 of them hanging around! Word got around that there is free food over at Mare's house!

Debra
06-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Need a pic! Lucky you!

Mare
06-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Oops! Here she is! Taken from my deck.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
06-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Very cool Mare! Animals know good people! :th_biggrin:

Honesty
06-15-2013, 03:58 PM
LOL.. Looks like you have made a good friend there :)

Debra
06-15-2013, 08:17 PM
She's pretty!

Turquoise
06-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Awesome! Yep, kinda' like the train Hobos of yesteryear would leave an X or some kind of sign for others when the found a kind place to stay & eat for the night. :th_LOL:

You have been marked as the *Turkey Lovin' Ranch*! :th_biggrin:

I love it when wild critters feel comfortable around a place & call it home. :thanks4sharingthumb

Pinkbirdy
06-16-2013, 02:11 AM
If I fell in love with a turkey [Im sure I could :)] I don't think I could eat Turkey anymore.

Mare
06-17-2013, 02:41 AM
Terri, I will no longer eat turkey, it would be eating my friend. Thanks, all, yes we have become known to the turkeys to be a friendly place. The only dog that half-way chases her is one of our doxies. Our big older dogs share in the goodies on the ground! I came downstairs, yesterday, and outside my bedroom window, on the patio, there are four of them laying down for their afternoon nap! The down side is, I stepped in one of their craps walking out to turn off the lawn, eww, worse than dog doo!

Mare
06-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Here are a few pics of this past spring.

Turquoise
06-17-2013, 05:17 AM
Love those gobblers! They are always so pretty with the iridescent feathers glowing.

Love the opuntia & agave in the background also.:th_biggrin: