PDA

View Full Version : You cannot be uptight and own a cockatoo.

Mare
06-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Well, you can own it but its not going to be a happy bird. I'm curious how other species of birds are, in this respect. Can they handle it? Cockatoos will not, and I don't think can, handle a loud aggressive atmosphere, you don't even have to make a noise, they can feel your emotion. This is my experience. How do you all feel about this?

mrgoogls
06-14-2013, 11:18 PM
what exactly do you mean by "uptight". that would help give an answer. sorry I just don't really understand.

Pinkbirdy
06-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Mare look at it this way .If you can live happily with a large 2 and Goffin . They have got you ready for anything [meaning species ] . I think the other species are mostly easier . Im not sure how to answer this. I have 12 birds and have an opinion on each species [ask away :)]I think if you add another species to your 2s ,things will be fine [its when their by themselves theres problems.] I agree with the 2s being very sensitive. I think their the ones who react most. If their environment is changed to not their benefit. I do feel with the 2s Ive had and have now, are the species that seem to need that set consistent interaction with you.

Mare
06-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Anxious or angry in a tense or overly controlled way, this is what uptight means Kenny. I'm really not looking to add on a different species, Terri, I'm curious though, whether or not, other types of birds are as sensitive to their surroundings, thanks!

Pinkbirdy
06-15-2013, 01:36 AM
You mean if Im yelling at my girls ?[ my amazon happily joins in ] so does my Grey. But your right if it was going on long it would upset the 2s. They probably would not fare well with a home life with fighting and tention. I hear Eckies would have a problem with this too. As for any of my other species being sensitive . Next in line in my house would be the Hawkhead.

mrgoogls
06-15-2013, 01:36 AM
alright thanks. I new what uptight meant, just didn't really understand your question I guess would be a better way of saying it. with a Quaker, I think they can defiantly tell when you are in a more angry or aggravated mood. specifically with cooper, he almost seems to mirror my mood. like if I'm kind of angry, the doesn't want to come out and bites the second I put my hand in the cage. but when I'm in a good mood he seems to be a nice little bird. but on the opposite side, if I'm sad, he is extra cuddly like he is trying to comfort me. almost like people say dogs are when a friend or family member dies and their dog seems sad and comforting too. so overall for a Quaker, or at least cooper, they know your mood and it seems to affect their mood too.

Blancaej
06-15-2013, 02:10 AM
I think Quincy is very sensitive to his surroundings and he is uptight and worries about everything. He gets nervous easily and I think this is why he bites like he does.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
06-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Kenny, I think you hit the nail on the head. These birds read us so closely and feed off of us. They do, they just do. I think this is why we need to be careful, we need to be careful not to make them feel like they need to fly away. We need to make them feel like this is a home they wish to be in.

mrgoogls
06-15-2013, 03:02 AM
Kenny, I think you hit the nail on the head. These birds read us so closely and feed off of us. They do, they just do. I think this is why we need to be careful, we need to be careful not to make them feel like they need to fly away. We need to make them feel like this is a home they wish to be in.

I agree, if they think everyone in your house is angry and miserable, they very well could be too. I think it is important to have a, lets say, "functional" house/family. if everyone is constantly fighting, for one, that's not good for your family, two, its not good for your bird. I wouldn't say you CANT fight or be angry if you own a bird, because everyone, and every family, fights and argues about things on occasion, and peoplehave bad days and get angry. but even if you do, you have to try to keep it under control.

Mare
06-15-2013, 03:22 AM
That's what I'm trying to get at. I grew up in a home full of tension and I'm now super sensitive to it. I think this is why I look for calm atmospheres wherever I go!

Turquoise
06-15-2013, 04:25 AM
My macaws can tell when I'm not feeling well and most times they will be much quieter if I am resting during those times. I have read the same thing you mention Terri about ekkies being very sensitive to a busy household and noise. My Leyla Belle is not affected in the least to the noise my dogs make when barking or any other activity they are into. She has lived with me since she was 6 1/2 months old, so I guess she thinks that is the normal lifestyle for her. My hubby & I don't fight, but we do yell at the dogs a lot. She does like to help us yell sometimes, but then she loves to talk and thinks everyone should listen to her anyway. My Green Cheek Conure is a little pitbull and thinks she can whip anything, i.e. the macaws. So she definitely is not uptight.

All of mine are very interested in what goes on in the house and none are the least bit timid or nervous about a thing. Except Roscoe does have the notion the mop is a demon out to get him! The only thing I've found he is afraid of. I've never owned a Cockatoo, so I really can't say if my lifestyle would cause one to be uptight, but I would venture a guess it probably could.

Mare
06-15-2013, 04:43 AM
Ok, my question was not if your bird was angry but whether or not your emotions make a difference to how your bird reacts to you. Sorry it took so long to spit out my words!

Blancaej
06-15-2013, 11:26 AM
And the answer is yes. I think most of understood what you were asking. Even though Quincy is very sensitive to his surroundings and our emotions, he is a pretty happy bird and has adjusted to change very well over the years. We are a pretty easy going family and that helps ease his nervous personality. I've read many times that parrots will mirror your personality. So if you are tense all the time, they will be too. I think that goes for all parrots!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Honesty
06-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes, Codie reacts in a totally different way if he picks up on a different mood from me. If there are raised voices in my house, he becomes very agitated and starts squawking very loudly.