PDA

View Full Version : Amazon that makes great first Amazon

noblemacaw
06-14-2013, 09:11 PM
So I am thinking of jumping into the world of Amazon parrots. I am wondering which species of Amazons make the best for first time Amazon owners. I have had mini macaws and an Eclectus and now have a RFM in my life. I have never lived with an Amazon and as we all know each species of parrot are different. I am trying to learn if I could be an Amazon parrot person too.

Thank you all for your input.

Honesty
06-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Rebecca, I adore Amazons. They can be quite challenging and can often bond with one person, but they have their own unique little personalities. I have heard that the Red Lored and Mealey Amazons are the most placid out of all of them.

noblemacaw
06-14-2013, 09:41 PM
I am looking at a white front Amazon. The parrot will be a year old this august and is a female. This would be my first female.

Honesty
06-14-2013, 09:53 PM
White front Amazons are adorable. They are quite rare here in the UK. Females are much more placid than Males.

noblemacaw
06-14-2013, 09:56 PM
If I can work out the expense, travel to get her, and the big one..talk Lupe into wanting her too I might be getting a third parrot. I have never had and amazon. LOL. This should be interesting for sure. I would love to hear from others that maybe have experience with this type of Amazon. Thanks Wendy for your input. You are always a valuable source of information on the Amazons!

Honesty
06-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I am thinking on the same lines as you Rebecca only the other way round. I have an Amazon and I am seriously thinking of getting a Yellow Collared Macaw :)

noblemacaw
06-14-2013, 10:25 PM
OOOOhhhh..I wanted a YCM as my second parrot. They are one of the mini's I have not had. I was tempted to get another Illiger's but it is so hard after Diego my Illiger's died. I loved him and took his death very hard. I had a hard time finding a breeder of the YCM that I liked. Then there was the rescue of the Noble macaw who is ending up being Lupe's parrot. The white front would be my third and last parrot. IF this all works out. If you like macaws and mini's you will be happy with a YCM.

Rescued
06-14-2013, 10:31 PM
The only experience I have had with amazons were 2 BFA, they were both wild caught. I fostered them over the winter, they lived in an aviary during the rest of the year as "unadoptable" birds. Even between the 2 one was much sweeter and timid, while the other was very aggressive. They were bonded to each other and neither could be handled. I think like all birds, it is up to the individual bird. I know that they are frequently aggressive toward strangers, more so than the macaw species. I hope that your WFA is a wonderful and loving companion.

KBEquine
06-14-2013, 11:29 PM
I think I can answer this . . . I have always loved the look of the white front amazons, but mine are a yellow crown an a Panama Amazon (so I don't have an opinion on whether a white front amazon is a good first bird - but generally people say double yellow heads, yellow napes & blue fronts are the hotter ones, so since they don't mention the white fronts, a white front might be a good choice). I have always heard that the Pans and the Mealys and the Orange Winged amazons are the easiest. Truthfully, I didn't think I was an amazon person until we got the yellow crown & I fell in love.

I personally think there are more similarities than differences between macaw and amazon personalities. You will do just fine.

Pinkbirdy
06-14-2013, 11:31 PM
I love my "hot amazon " hes a Blue front . You hear what a challenge they are. But having 12 birds I think they give you the whole parrot experience.

birdlady
06-15-2013, 12:38 AM
I gave a mealy...he is definitely a mans bird but he likes me:-) I had a"hot" blue front who was so sweet and would go to anyone.....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Blancaej
06-15-2013, 01:57 AM
Rebecca - Congrats on your decision to adopt another bird! I don't have an amazon but it sounds like you got some good advice here. Keep us posted on your decision!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ShellyBorg
06-15-2013, 03:44 AM
Love my RLA, he is the loudest out of everyone I have but so readable and once he knows what you want him to do, easy going as well.

Turquoise
06-15-2013, 04:00 AM
It's been many years since I had Amazons. We're talking about the early 1990s and both were re-homes. My first one was an Orange Wing and my 2nd was a Green Cheek or Mexican Redhead as they are also called. the Orange Wing had not been handled in at least 3 years and I worked everyday with him for 6 months to get him to accept being on my hand. He never liked being held, but he did bond to me and was a very good bird. The Green Cheek was the most unassuming parrot I had ever met. I suspected it was a very old ex-breeder that had probably been smuggled into the US. The story the lady I got him from told me about how her son acquired him in California led me to believe this. He rarely ever made any sounds, never talked, never played with toys and although I worked with him & could hold him, he never bonded to me in the 10 yrs. I owned him.

I loved having Amazons, mine may not have been the typical personality of them, but they were good birds and fun to have around. The only reason I don't have Zons now is that macaws were always my favorite and I wanted to finally fulfill my dream of owning one. If I didn't work and had the space, I'd have another Amazon and another African grey.

noblemacaw
06-15-2013, 04:04 AM
Lots of good feedback from everyone. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. If it can all come together I think we move forward. I have been reading about white fronts and learned they can become one person parrots but I hope that she is young enough and adaptable enough to be socialized easily. We shall see. Right now I need to see if the adoption is feasible and if the owner thinks this parrot could be happy with all my changes coming up.

Mare
06-15-2013, 04:22 AM
When my husband leaves me, (he threatens to do this if I bring in another bird), I think an Amazon is on my list to adopt. Yep, I'll take the plunge and try out a bird that has these weird eye movements and see if we can get along. :)

Honesty
06-15-2013, 11:04 AM
OOOOhhhh..I wanted a YCM as my second parrot. They are one of the mini's I have not had. I was tempted to get another Illiger's but it is so hard after Diego my Illiger's died. I loved him and took his death very hard. I had a hard time finding a breeder of the YCM that I liked. Then there was the rescue of the Noble macaw who is ending up being Lupe's parrot. The white front would be my third and last parrot. IF this all works out. If you like macaws and mini's you will be happy with a YCM.

I am sorry about Diegao Rebecca. I can imagine how upsetting it was for you!

I am really having a hard time finding a YCM here in the UK. I have been in contact with a couple of people and have been told the only place I will be able to get one is either France or Belgium. This would not be a problem as it is only 45 minutes by plane, but I would be worried about bringing a Parrot back on an aeroplane:(

Pinkbirdy
06-15-2013, 11:26 AM
When my husband leaves me, (he threatens to do this if I bring in another bird), I think an Amazon is on my list to adopt. Yep, I'll take the plunge and try out a bird that has these weird eye movements and see if we can get along. :) Daves been threatening this since 8 birds :) Im at 12 now Ha Ha [I don't think their going anywhere they would be bored!!!!] Now he just talks about living in a camper out back . :).

Pinkbirdy
06-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Noble you should give yourself some credit . You have had so much experience [just get what you want ] Don't over think it . Im sure things will be great :)

Heather
06-15-2013, 02:14 PM
I got Parker my Blue front as a first bird other than so budgies I had as a child...He is amazing. I didn't find out till after I got him that he is considered on of the hot 3...so far so good, but he is only 1...I wouldn't trade him for the world...

merlinsmom13
06-15-2013, 05:06 PM
I have a Red Crowned or Green Cheek Amazon. He's a great bird, very intelligent & sweet. He does has moments like all amazons, but he's usually quiet & easy to handle. He's 7 now, so we've been thru a few bouts of hormones. I keep waiting for the bad things, but it seems if I'm careful about who touches me in front of him, I'm ok. So far, its been really easy [[fingx]] I keep waiting for the bomb to drop lol Good luck w/your decision.

noblemacaw
06-15-2013, 07:46 PM
When I traveled to get Julio the lady that was fostering him took a Red Crown as the next foster. Her name is Ruby and was I believe 18 years old. The previous owner was so into her Amazon she took such good care of her. Ruby's toenails were PAINTED purple and her carrier had her name painted on it. It was unfortunate that the owner had to give up such a companion. Ruby went to anyone willing to hold her. She seemed really sweet and was well taken care of. My impression was that the Mexican red heads, green cheek, red crown amazons make wonderful companions.

Turquoise
06-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Terri & Mare, I loved the quips about the hubbies leaving and living in a camper out back. :th_LOL:

My hubby used to give me the 'evil eye' when he came home & found yet another new critter & cage had replaced some piece of furniture. He knew not to ever tell me no about anything. Then one day a couple of yrs ago he told me we needed to get another parrot. It shocked me and I took him up on the idea. I don't think he meant ones that were large enough to take a finger off. And I'm sure he never expected the house to look like a pet shop, but he still doesn't tell me no!! He does keep an eye out for when his small corner of the room begins to come up missing furniture. Little does he know I have been measuring & contemplating the corner as a nice place to add another cage. After all he does have a shop out back he could move into. :th_toofunny:

Pinkbirdy
06-16-2013, 01:52 AM
I do the whole measuring and getting rid of furniture too. I like looking like a bird store .Its my favorite place:)

Grey
01-02-2014, 04:35 AM
A mealy is a super sweet, mellow zon. Relatively quiet, but when it cuts loose it can shut an M2 down without problem. All amazons have their vocalizations, the smaller ones tend to be higher pitched. My Cuban is only slightly larger than the WFA, and she can still get her point across. Thankfully, she normally resorts to emotional blackmail to get what she wants